Sporting KC Preseason 2013

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Buzz Killington, Jan 2, 2013.

1. ji_shuheng

ji_shuheng Member+

Mar 26, 2003
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, the schedule goes from TB straight to the season opener @philly.

2. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The game is on the schedule in the link I posted as TBD.

As for why we're playing the first team vs the NASL team probably had to do with the team that Columbus put out, also reserve.

http://www.thecrew.com/blog/post/2013/02/16/orlando-day-ten

ji_shuheng repped this.
  3. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. ji_shuheng

ji_shuheng Member+

Mar 26, 2003
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1-0 win over Tampa, although it wasn't that close. Creating chances was a problem for all the possession we had.

6. uncre8tv

uncre8tv Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Shreveport, LA (temporarily displaced from KC)
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have to say that Bieler and Benny did not impress. Benny seemed to do more, Bieler seemed to just be waiting for service (except when we were actually driving, then he never looked open.)

Uri looked very good, Seth/Besler/Colin looked themselves, Bobby looked good when he came in. Zusi had some nice runs, he found very nice space (I think? on a ball from Uri) for his goal. CJ looked good for a run or two too. But mostly our offense just seemed to be isolated and less impactful than you'd like to see against NASL competition.

To be fair: I was NOT watching the game with a super critical eye, and the sight lines from where I was were not great either. This is just my impression from looking up every now and then trying to figure out why we were sitting at 0-0 well after the half.

7. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Benny looked good in possession, but once we got into the final third no one looked good. I actually thought Benny combined quite well with the guys. There was the one chance that Bieler put over the goal after a nice little 1-2 with Benny, would have loved to have seen that finished. Other than that and the finish everyone looked extremely poor in the final third.

And this isn't directed at you, but I'm already seeing a bunch of negativity towards Bieler and that he's a bust after 4 preseason games.

8. uncre8tv

uncre8tv Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disney Classic is awesome for MLS access. It's like a high school game with actual stars. Girlfriend got Uri, Zusi, Besler, CJ, Jimmy, Chance, Seth, Bobby, Nags, Robb, PV and a couple of others to sign her ticket (we didn't bring any gear to sign, didn't expect that much access.) Everyone was great to talk to.

We spent most of the Orlando/C-Bus halftime chatting with Cal. He is a great guy, willing to stand and chat about everything from the weather (damn cold tonight) to MLS-DK not ever taking their feed (he didn't know why, said he'd heard it was partially technical and maybe a personal preference at some point in the DK chain of command.)

9. uncre8tv

uncre8tv Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I'm willing to give the guy a chance. I don't think tonight was anything to go by for anyone (especially MY observations of tonight, when I was chatting and wandering etc.) Good points on Benny, I wasn't picking him out until later when everyone's aggressiveness had fallen off some.

10. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    looks like we may not have the 3rd place game, this was tweeted out last night.

Vince Maduri@VinceMaduri
    @thegoalkeeper Vermes told us after the game he plans to talk to Hack and tourney organizers about whether or not the game should be played.

With us opening the season against Philly a week after that game, I'm not against that.

11. ji_shuheng

ji_shuheng Member+

Mar 26, 2003
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they could both just run out b squads, if that's the concern.

i'd only be against it if there's philly or kc fans down there booked into hotels expecting a fourth game.

12. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Didn't SKC play Philly while both were down in Florida, but not as part of the DW classic?

13. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not according to this:

http://www.sportingkc.com/preseason

14. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
  15. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bieler has been totally unimpressive so far. However, I attribute that to him being unfamiliar with the SKC system and still trying to get used to the MLS style of play. I remember Bravo struggled a bit to fit into PVs attack strategy at first, but he came out the first game of the season against Chivas and scored a brace. It would be really nice to see Bieler do the same. I don't think he is a bust, but PV has a LOT of work to get him playing on a DP level.

16. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I seriously hope no one thinks he's a bust. He's played 4 PRESEASON games. If someone thinks he's a bust already I want to punch them.

17. ji_shuheng

ji_shuheng Member+

Mar 26, 2003
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i can't say i've seen flashes of greatness from him. more like micro-shadows of micro-flashes or something. but every now and aga... well, once or twice, i saw him do something impressive or almost impressive. mostly he seems to not know where to stand, and isn't running back to help build out of the back or the mid, so he looks like he's standing around scratching his ass.

when my dad was a kid he broke his arm playing little league baseball. he got bored playing right field, climbed a tree, and fell out of it. bieler isn't that bad.

of course he isn't 9, either.

18. KopRules

KopRules Member+

May 31, 2011
    Beautiful South KC
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    havent seen a single second of preseason. But from what I read, I hope Bieler is bored. His resume suggests he may be just that.

19. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. jtreg

jtreg Member

Aug 16, 2010
    State of denial
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as Bieler is doing his job - pressuring and helping other players get into position to score, then I'll give him 4 - 5 games with out a goal to get worried, or even utter the 'B' word.

21. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Per Goff KC isn't playing Philly any more this weekend, Pholly is playing DC, do we're likely to play Toronto

22. jtreg

jtreg Member

Aug 16, 2010
    State of denial
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was kind of hoping we'd get to play Pholly and they smash us 4 - nil, and get their hopes up. Then, for their opener, beat them 2 - 0. That'd be fun. I imagine we'll get to see the Collin gif - win, lose, or draw.

23. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    about bieler, my level of worry about his lack of goals in preseason is right around zero. there is concern, as there should be anytime, but it's not worry. i look at it like a pitcher in spring training. take greinke, for example, in his last year with the royals. i seem to recall him having a fairly poor spring training leading up to that year. it wasn't because he wasn't ready or was in bad form. it was because he knew what he already had and could do well, so he was using his pitching outings to practice on his 4th pitch. he threw it something like 60% of the time to work on it when in a normal game, he'd maybe throw it like 10%. for a veteran, that's what preseason should be about. bieler is a finisher, he knows how to do that. 80% of his focus should be on learning our system, his new teammates, his new responsibilities. it sounds like vermes and bieler are doing exactly that.

Soccer7947 repped this.
  24. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    SKC had a scrimmage vs TFC. SKC was up 3-1 but gave up 2 goals and the game ended 3-3. Mbengue, Dwyer, Saad for SKC

25. uncre8tv

uncre8tv Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dwyer and Saad tearing up the scrimmages, while the first team is looking like the Chiefs when it comes to offense. As a fan, I'd like to see the young'ens up front with the first team.

(Yes, yes, you can't judge the scrimmages, no defense, I get it. Still... I'd like to see these guys team up in MLS play)