Sporting KC Preseason 2013

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Buzz Killington, Jan 2, 2013.

1. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2-1 loss to Montreal. The first half had some shining moments for SKC as they possessed the ball and put Montreal under pressure. But, PV and the coaching staff have a lot of work to do if they are going to get some semblance of a coordinated attack going. March 2nd is coming up quick.

2. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didnt get to catch the game but 50% shots on frame is a welcome change. If we could get that rate while taking 20 shots, our goal total is bound to increase.

3. Oobers

Oobers Member+

Oct 17, 2011
    Boise
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I made a gif, just because

[​IMG]

vividox and ji_shuheng repped this.
  4. sportingswan

sportingswan Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Swansea City AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree Ben. The lack of a diversified attack is certainly suffering with Kei's loan, which is something I didn't want to see. That's what killed us in the Houston series last season, and it's going to eat us up if we don't find a solution without saddling all the responsibility on one player.

5. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its too early to make those kind of judgments. The MLS season is long and it allows a little room for adjustment. Yes, we want to win the SS but if it takes a few games to get situated, we will be alright.

6. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish Zusi would do this more often. Reminds me of the goal against Portland in the infamous bobblehead game 2 years ago.

7. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    A wee off topic, but was anyone else skeeved when Bradley took that last PK against Honduras with Zusi on the field? Pre-kick, my thought was, "why isn't Zusi taking this?" Post-kick, my thoughts were "Zusi should have taken that."

8. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you mean free kick? i'm actually kinda glad, considering how every other set piece (for both sides) had gone up to that point. he'd have probably just skied it as well and then we'd have to hear from people how he's "not good enough."

9. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Er, yeah, free kick. I see your point, but I'm still left thinking Zusi could have done a lot better 8 or 9 times out of 10.

10. jtreg

jtreg Member

Aug 16, 2010
    State of denial
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trying to find some video on last nights goals. Any help, or super awesome, descriptive sentences for me?

11. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's two weeks from the season start. Anyone else starting to get concerned that all we have seen so far from Bieler is 60 minutes of light jogging? He seems nowhere close to match fit.

12. jtreg

jtreg Member

Aug 16, 2010
    State of denial
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't totally agree that's he's only shown light jogging. I've seen hussle and some good hold up and combination play. However, I'm pretty sure PV doesn't want him to over exert himself and get injured in a game that means exactly Jack shit as far as results. Ramping up is probably the goal.

13. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a long season, if he isnt fit by the first game he will be pretty quickly.

14. Soccer7947

Soccer7947 Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Kansas
    Is it just me or being "game" fit compared to being "Sporting KC Game" fit two worlds of difference? As the center forward I think he would get more of a pass then others, but we seem to demand a little more the just game fit in our players. Which then scares me because i don't think we are going to slow the ball down at all this next season.

15. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's also adjusting to the type of play in MLS - very beginning of last night's game he appealed for a foul which probably would've been given in most other leagues but is only 50/50 in MLS.

I do worry about how long it will take him to adapt to what PV wants him to do, though. He does get yelled at a lot during these preseason games. I expected it - silly to think he'd come in and fit into the SKC system immediately, but he won't be nearly as effective until he's playing the way that PV wants him to...

In any case, we actually look like we have some cohesion right now - a huge step up from what I saw last preseason where I was worried we were woefully prepared for the season to start.

16. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually I saw some good stuff from Bieler last night, did some high pressure on the keeper that we've come to expect.

17. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, I tweeted about that myself.

Still heard PV yelling at him to "move" quite a few times... but he yelled at CJ a number of times too.

Have I said how much fun it is to be able to hear PV in these preseason games?

18. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a good point. Watching the fittest team in MLS has probably skewed my vantage point. He's not going to get on the end of a lot of 50/50 balls into the box, so I hope his insertion results in a tweak in our style of play an more through balls like the one from P.Joseph.

One dude who sure looks fit is Convey. Hope he can keep that up.

19. Soccer7947

Soccer7947 Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Kansas
    I think it takes a year for the guys to get to PV standards of fitness. I just don't think Bieler can get to our fitness level this year. This 100% my opinion, but he is 28 years old and has played a certain way for 8-10 years. It going to be hard for him to get to our level in a couple of months.I will say this though. We spend good money on fitness coaching and I think he does a fantastic job with keeping these guys strong. Buzz would love to see numbers on injury's ever since he started with us a 3-4 years ago.

I love what Convey is doing. I hope he can keep it up as well.

20. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lost 5-2 to the Crew this morning, mainly reserves lineup. Goalkeeper appeared to be Brian Sylvestre, formerly of Vancouver.

21. ji_shuheng

ji_shuheng Member+

Mar 26, 2003
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    90 minute match? don't we play tampa bay tonight?

22. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes a 90 minute game, I expect starters to play tonight.

This was the lineup today:

Sporting Kansas City@SportingKC
    Starters for scrimmage vs #Crew96: Sylvestre; Miller, Opara, Songo'o, Gardner; Thomas, Joseph, Duke; Mbengue, Dwyer, Saad. Kicking off now!

So I'd expect our lineup tonight to be: Nielsen, Jerome, Collin, Besler, Sinovic, Rosell, Nagamura, Feilhaber, Zusi, Bieler, Convey. Or something like that. With Sapong coming on for Bieler at some point.

23. ji_shuheng

ji_shuheng Member+

Mar 26, 2003
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that just to give the first 11 a preseason match, or are they hoping to put more than 4 past TB in the event DC beats montreal?

24. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We play next Saturday the 23rd no matter what. Not just the group winner. We'll play against whoever finishes in our spot in the other group.

http://www.sportingkc.com/preseason

25. ji_shuheng

ji_shuheng Member+

Mar 26, 2003
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    for 1st, or 3, or... 5? 7? i saw some references to the placement matches, though i can't remember if they're on the schedule at skc's main page. i'm just wondering why they'd run the starters out to play an NASL team. i can think of several valid reasons for doing so, but getting the first 11 a game and making something of an effort to win the group, should that prove possible following dc-imc seem more likely than the others.