Sporting KC player national team news [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Buzz Killington, Sep 29, 2011.

1. ji_shuheng

ji_shuheng Member+

Mar 26, 2003
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'd imagine there's peoples in the cascadian region that's happened to, though i doubt their descendants are pushing the cascadian "national" team at this point.

2. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roster for the January camp should come out tomorrow. Rumors that Sinovic and Myers are getting the call (along with expected call ups of Besler, Feilhaber, and Zusi).

3. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pre-pre-season training. I like it.

4. RjBass

RjBass Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I would be happy for our guys if that's true, I don't know how I would feel if Collin was our only defensive anchor on the back line come March 8.

5. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would he be our only defensive anchor on March 8? The camp is from Jan 6 through the 31st with a friendly against South Korea on Feb 1. They'll be with the team a full month before Seattle.

6. RjBass

RjBass Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the winter camp would take them well into March. When do they get together again prior to the WC? This being the year I thought our National Team guys would be spending more time with the USMT then with their clubs until the WC was over.

7. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, the winter camp (Camp Cupcake) has usually been just a month to month and a half. There's a FIFA date on March 5th, but no games have been announced for the US.

As for World Cup releases, the mandatory release date for clubs in May 26th, so we could hold on to any of our World Cup call ups until then.

8. ji_shuheng

ji_shuheng Member+

Mar 26, 2003
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i can see trepidation about our outside FBs, but collin and opara in the middle?

9. aletheist

aletheist Member+

Nov 17, 2010
    Olathe, Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Myers and Sinovic finally getting a look - good for them.

11. KC96

KC96 Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Given the relative weakness of LB/RB in the USMNT pool this cycle, both Myers and Sinovic chances of breaking into the WC squad of 23 are greater than zero. But, how much more than zero will depend on how much they impress.

I love our FB's, but I'd put their odds at less than 5%. A breakout game against Korea (if they even see the field) would increase their stock of course, but I still see any long term USMNT roster spot for these two as unlikely barring injury to players ahead of them on the depth chart. Still, as Besler showed last year, anything can happen....

Challenges to get on roster (for Feb 1 or for WC):
    - Given JK's repeated use of Beasley at LB and Evans converted to RB during WCQ, I think it will take a lot for either of newcomers Myers or Sinovic to unseat an experienced international veteran.

- Given JK's insistence on team chemistry, there will be a lot of locker room and "off field" aspects that will play into JK's evaluation of them, and gives even more advantage to the incumbents. I hope Seth and Chance both appreciate this.

- Yedlin is currently hyped as the "future" at US RB (ironically competing with teammate Brad Evans for that spot in this camp), so all else being equal, I see JK picking Yedlin over Myers both now and in the future, just to give Yedlin experience for the long run, especially since JK is USMNT coach through 2018 now.

Possibilities to get on roster:
    - Given Zusi and Besler's recent breakthrough's with the USMNT, Seth and Chance have role models/mentors who are not only club teammates, but childhood friends (in the case of Besler and Sinovic). Seth and Chance won't be at a loss for "what do I need to do?" and will have both inspiration and guidance.

- Both SKC fullbacks offer speed, width, tenacity, endurance and two way offense-defense - exactly the style of play JK likes and wants. I think Seth had the better 2013 MLS season vs. Chance, but I also think Beasley at LB is more secure in his spot than converted Evans at RB.

-JK likes "on field pairings". Sinovic and Besler are a natural club pair on the left side defense. Zusi and Myers have paired up often on the right wing in attack. Thus, pairing with a more established USMNT player like Besler/Zusi could play in Seth/Chance's favor. This all assumes Besler and Zusi continue to impress as well....

-If either/both show well vs. Korea, they will have another chance to polish their international resume and reinforce their performance in JK's eyes with SKC's CCL knockout stage games in March.

-JK said he was excited about the possibility of having 2, 3, 4 players from this camp perhaps breaking into the "inner circle" (WC lineup). Taken at face value, that means JK will be doing a serious evaluation, and not just window dressing to keep MLS happy (see Besler last year as prime example, Zusi from prior year as example).

In any case, both would be deserving of a cap in Feb, even if a WC spot is likely only a dream. Looks like a partial well earned reward for MLS/domestic league play (good for long term growth of the league), and a partial "here is your one chance to show us something impressive" call-up opportunity for Seth and Chance.

To have had SKC players break out from Jan camp onto their first USMNT in consecutive years (Zusi, Besler) is astounding. Three years in a row is unfathomable, but here's hoping....

vividox repped this.
  12. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Six outside backs being called in points to JK looking to see if one of these guys (minus Evans at the moment) can play their way into the squad.

13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    #463 AndyMead, Jan 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
    Their only chance is an injury, but this is just due diligence on Klinsy's part. If an outside back blows an ACL in May, he needs to know who to call.

In 2002 Mastroeni replaced Vanney who replaced Armas if I recall.
    In 2006 Hejduk had to be replaced.
    I believe there was a replacement in 2010 as well.

The 23 that are announced are never the 23 that would play in January.

But I can't see either of them doing enough - with no real international experience - in January to get themselves to Brazil on their own merits. Remember, Jurgen is signed on for four more years. He's not going into the 2016 qualifiers with the same backline that he had the last two years. Cherundolo and Bocanegra are both definitely gone. Beasley will likely be gone.

14. KC96

KC96 Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Totally agree with all the above. I'm just happy for the organization if even one KC club player gets on the field for the USMNT in the WC. 2014 could be a banner year for SKC in this regard

History of KC Wizards/SKC players on the USMNT World Cup roster:

1998:
    *Preki. 2nd half sub in two games, both losses.

2002:
    *Tony Meola. Third GK who knew he would never see the field.

2006: (three KC players!!)
    *Josh Wolff - 13mins mop up time at forward in an 0-3 loss
    *Eddie Johnson - 2nd half sub as an attacker in two games, both losses
    *Jimmy Conrad - 2nd half sub in epic Italy 1-1 draw. Started CB in last game/loss vs Ghana. First and only KC player to start a WC game to date

2010: nobody

2014: (Potential for now)
    *Matt Besler - looks like a starting CB for now
    *Graham Zusi - borderline starter, likely roster spot/sub player at a minimum
    *Benny Feilhaber - looked great in 2010 cycle, outside chance of cracking roster for Brazil
    *Chance Myers - possibly a depth backup in case of injury
    *Seth Sinovic - possibly a depth backup in case of injury

IASocFan and vividox repped this.
  15. aletheist

aletheist Member+

Nov 17, 2010
    Olathe, Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do not see Sinovic or Myers (or Feilhaber) as serious contenders for World Cup starting spots, but Sinovic in particular seems like a decent candidate for the bench as emergency depth.

16. YilmazOrhan

YilmazOrhan Well Brian, I hit it first time...

Jun 18, 2006
    Suburbia, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that's all Jurgen immediately wants out of this camp, but it's not like the current outside backs are getting any younger...

17. shawnvb

shawnvb Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Missouri
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USA U18s will be playing Spain, Argentina, and Canary Islands U18s in a few weeks... will be a good test for EPB who will be on the team

18. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sinovic and Myers were released from camp

19. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EPB and the US U18's play Spain tomorrow.

20. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saad's been called up by Lebanon for a friendly on Feb 19th and then their Asian Cup qualifier on March 5th. He'll be gone that entire time from preseason camp.

21. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saad and Jerome both played today. Saad scored what proved to be the winner for Lebanon. His goal starts at the 1:39 mark below.

23. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Besler and Zusi called up

24. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No callup for Benny at this point probably spells the end of his WC dreams, barring injuries.

25. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not completely, Buddle played his way onto the squad ahead of the 2010 Cup with a big MLS season.