Sporting KC at Houston Sunday Nov 4, 2:30 p/i/p [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Buzz Killington, Oct 28, 2012.

1. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously? Is this really quoted somewhere?

I know there are differences in the way (I'm bringing out the broad-brush now) Americans like to think about deceiving the officials [the righteous American says it's dirty play/cheating] whereas in other countries and footballing cultures, it may be considered "part of the game" and therefore meritorious play.

I fall in the dirty play camp and like that MLS generally is trying to clean up the play acting. I love that MLS will levy fines/punishment/suspensions based upon post-game video reviews.

Now, with all of that as a backdrop on my opinion, if he really said this, I hope that MLS does something. Manipulate the ball and your opponent, not the official.

2. Geo-Wiz

Geo-Wiz New Member

May 9, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no quote. On the broadcast right after I think the first foul on Sapong where he was clearly shoved in the back, Boswell did the pushing and immediately turned to the referee. The announcers said that earlier in the year he had told them about doing this. They specifically cited it as a psychological game with the referee. Of course that foul was not called.

3. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With respect. I remember Boswell's comments the broadcaster's referenced. Boswell's comments were about yelling at your opponent so that the ref gets the message you think he dived, rather than yelling at the ref which tends to get you carded.

4. Geo-Wiz

Geo-Wiz New Member

May 9, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe, I don't know what the original comments were, only what the broadcaster's stated. If that's the case OK I guess. Either way, I stand by my point that if you foul someone and immediately starty calling as a dive (the result of which you must be hoping for a card) is simulation just as bad as an actual dive. The foul in question was clear on the TV (maybe the referee didn't have the same angle that TV showed ) and he started indicating he thought it was a dive.

5. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Foregive me for engaging on your board. It is not why I post & read on other teams forums and I generally try to avoid debating anything on another teams forum.

Violating my own rule the only point I want to make is that it seems all of our teams have plenty of situations where they don't think they fouled and they think their opponent dived yet the referee thinks differently. As far as some sort of objective evidence that a foul was clear on TV -- isn't it impossible to have objective evidence in our subjective minds? This applies to both the players and us.

It sounds like we would both agree on this: We wish less effort would be made by coaches and players trying to manipulate referrees.

6. Geo-Wiz

Geo-Wiz New Member

May 9, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Accord.

7. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That game was the 2nd Wizards game I'd ever been to. I had no idea, at the time, that we needed to win by 3 in order for us to win that game, so I was just ecstatic that we had beat them 3-0 before finding out after the game that we won the series 3-2.

It probably was the game that convinced my future wife (at the time) to get me half-season tickets for '05.

Needless to say, I have not forgotten that game and there's no doubt that I feel that it is possible to accomplish. Not easy - we haven't made this easy on ourselves at all... but can it be done? Hell yea. I'm not gonna give up until the final whistle is blown. And I'm going to do as much as I can to will the team on to such a victory.

8. ji_shuheng

ji_shuheng Member+

Mar 26, 2003
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i thought the point was that players sometimes commit a foul, know they've committed a foul, and get up acting like they were fouled in the hopes of avoiding giving up a free kick or getting carded. i know there's been plenty of times when i've seen players doing what--to my mind--looks like just that. including skc players.

but yeah, watching on tv it's impossible to know on any given play what a player was thinking.

9. terps

terps Member+

Dec 27, 2009
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2-0 is the most dangerous lead, as they say. It's time to prove that cliche true.