Sporting KC at Houston Sunday Nov 4, 2:30 p/i/p [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Buzz Killington, Oct 28, 2012.

1. ZinedineZusi

ZinedineZusi Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    the 0-4 loss at Philly was our worst, but under the circumstances this was pretty close to the worst performance imaginable. No sign of having learned anything from last year's loss. Just a tactically naive showing all around. Nagamura's absence was noticeable- we just weren't as tight defensively in a game where we needed to allow at most 1 goal.

If the return leg was tonight I'd have a hard time getting pumped up, but I think by Wed I'll be ready to give it a go.

2. Uppa 90

Uppa 90 Member

Jan 16, 2004
    K.C. MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i guess i had already suppressed the memory of Philly...

3. KopRules

KopRules Member+

May 31, 2011
    Beautiful South KC
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Frankly, Chicago looked better against them on Halloween. But no way this thing is done yet.
    Thats crazy talk.

4. Hexenmeister

Hexenmeister Member

Aug 9, 2000
    Kearney, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Shouldn't you be out not exercising or drilling for oil or something?

5. Hexenmeister

Hexenmeister Member

Aug 9, 2000
    Kearney, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Technically that's true, but by my quick count we've only had four games this season in which we were able to score 3 goals.

I was saying back when the transfer window closed that this team should've added a striker, and it's clear now that our biggest weakness is producing goals.

Everybody should've known that Houston would try to beat us at our own game just like they did last year. I was hoping Vermes would have a strategy for to counter that. Either he didn't or the players weren't able to execute it.

6. KopRules

KopRules Member+

May 31, 2011
    Beautiful South KC
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    btw, was it just me, or did NBC's camera person have a difficult time tracking the ball and figuring out where the near touchline was?

7. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I've noticed this with almost every NBC broadcast. Not sure what the problem is.

8. KopRules

KopRules Member+

May 31, 2011
    Beautiful South KC
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    We only need to be +2 after 90 minutes. Im no math major, but all this "three goal game" stuff is a bit misplaced, or out of sequence at the least.

uncre8tv repped this.
  9. uncre8tv

uncre8tv Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Shreveport, LA (temporarily displaced from KC)
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this

10. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    It's hard to read the comments in here. We dug ourselves a hell of a hole, but 2-0 at home is not impossible. Haven't you guys been listening every time a commentator tells you 2-0 is the most dangerous lead in football?

I believe that we will win.

Qdog and Lord Helmet repped this.
  11. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate to temper the optimism with reality, but in our last 5 games with Houston (which includes the Finals match from last season) we have scored 2 goals. In 450 minutes.

12. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    awful performance.

and i really want to punch arlo white in the face every time he says "sau pong." if you can't pronounce the players' names correctly, then you shouldn't be calling the games.

13. Lebowski

Lebowski BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 23, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    A combined 3 shots on goal today. I do not know what is worse. The fact that HOU scored on both opportunities or that we only got one shot.

14. Silock

Silock Member

Feb 8, 2007
    KC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really hate Vermes.

15. aletheist

aletheist Member+

Nov 17, 2010
    Olathe, Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That and "Hulio" Cesar. Sure, I made the same mistake when he first joined the team, but (a) that was two full seasons ago now and (b) I do not get paid to pronounce players' names correctly.

16. aletheist

aletheist Member+

Nov 17, 2010
    Olathe, Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, back-to-back first-place finishes are so infuriating. :rolleyes:

17. ji_shuheng

ji_shuheng Member+

Mar 26, 2003
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010
    it would have been nice to see more squad rotation during the year so that KC would actually have offensive options off the bench developed.

19. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010
    reason for hope: Houston's recent road performance

@ Colorado L 0-2 (not that revealing as it was a reserve-heavy lineup)
    @ Philadelphia L 1-3
    @ Chicago L 1-3
    @ New York L 0-2

Unfortunately, their other MLS road game since August 1 was a 1-1 draw in KC.

20. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i've thought about that game numerous times tonight. that's still my favorite game i've ever attended (i was out of town for the playoff game against la in 2000). i remember going into that game feeling like it was possible. can't say i feel the same way this time.

if we come back and advance, it'll likely be because of unforeseen events or uncharacteristic errors from houston's defense/gk. it won't be because dom kinnear didn't have his troops ready for what we are going to throw at 'em.

21. dgb09

dgb09 Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Overland Park, KS
    This is a concern with Vermes. I get the whole 'consecutive top finishes in the Eastern conference' thing. I truly do. The issue is when it comes time to really game-day manage a team, make adjustments to win a game...he hasn't shown the capability to do this. Some of it is obvious on game day. Some of it you seen in hindsight, like how he rarely subs and that leads to limited bench strength.

I would say this to those who will point to the regular season success...are you satisfied with winning the regular season and falling to a team with a superior tactician every November. I'm not saying Vermes cannot do this, but he has been badly outcoached in memorable games.

22. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe the reason we didn't have more squad rotation is because Dwyer and Saad really aren't ready to contribute a lot. I mean every fan seemed to be calling for us to get a striker before the transfer window closed. We did have that one Spanish striker rumor that Robb posted about right around the deadline. But as a whole I think the team felt ok with our strikers. It wasn't until a few days before the window closed that Bunbury tore his ACL. At that point it would have been a scramble to get a player and we would have probably overpaid. The trade window was still open, but as a whole did we really have enough to offer to get us an impact striker that would have been more than just a bench sub?

23. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010
    I think Vermes is a good GM/technical director. I think he's good at scouting talent and finding guys to fit the style and philosophy. He's also done a great job picking up good contributors at a low cost (Sinovic, Joseph, etc.). I don't think he's a great day-to-day manager or tactician. I'm not advocating he be reduced back to just TD duties, but I wish that KC could at least find a top assistant to aid there.

24. Oobers

Oobers Member+

Oct 17, 2011
    Boise
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I WANT TO BELIEVE

PezJunkie repped this.
  25. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010
    Sure, it's possible Dom and Soony aren't ready. I guess that's a bit concerning then--- the team has basically landed four first-round forwards (since Saad was generally thought to have been a first-round draft pick had he gone through a normal process) in three years but once Teal got hurt was reduced to pretty much zero offensive options off the bench.