Sporting KC at Houston Sunday Nov 4, 2:30 p/i/p [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Buzz Killington, Oct 28, 2012.

1. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It has never been about scoring or nil-nil draws. It is the whole "It's not an American game" thing.

It is sloooowwwwlllllly changing, but MLS is never gonna rival the NFL.

2. Formulaic

Formulaic Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    people don't like ties.

3. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the most part that's true. But ask the Boca fans if they didn't think their 2-2 draw against River
    last Saturday felt like a win and conversely the River fans surely felt it was a loss.

Difference between the traditional 0-0 snoozefest and a 2-2 draw where the equalizer is scored in 2nd half stoppage time.

4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soccer fans have been saying for the last 30ish years that soccer was gonna make it big any time now. And for the first time since I remember reading/hearing that I think it's semi-possible. We certainly aren't going to rival the nfl for a long time, if ever, but MLS is stable and growing, and the dinosaurs who hate the sport are slowly being replaced by ones that may not love the sport, but at least to a degree respect it.

5. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Off topic (or maybe on topic).....I saw that Vermes said Nagamura is out for the Sunday game but Espinoza is likely back. Any thoughts on Nagamura's replacement and what the midfield will look like without him?

6. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is why I am rooting for Chicago today--more wide open play. I think they have the slight advantage by playing at home tonight. Neither team has been playing well of late, which is why I think this is a good matchup for us in the first series.

7. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess would be Zusi moving back to mid and Peterson going in as a forward, like what happened when Nags had to sub out last week.

8. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Either the same as last week with Espinoza replacing Nagamura or Peterson entering and Zusi dropping back.

9. Oobers

Oobers Member+

Oct 17, 2011
    Boise
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    In other semi related news, I love NBC's promo for the playoffs. I've been really happy with their product this year.

vividox and Padinho1989 repped this.
  10. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. ChocolateCandy

ChocolateCandy Member+

Real Madrid
    Jul 23, 2009
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gonna be tough.

12. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Looking forward to playing you guys again. Should be really tough either way. Good luck!

13. Hungryjack

Hungryjack Member+

Jul 8, 2006
    Houston
    The smart money is on KC of course, but we've never worried too much about being smart. Should be fun as always!

14. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm not thrilled about the matchup. my biggest worry is vermes getting outcoached by kinnear again.

15. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah, Houston in the playoffs is not a fun matchup. They've got the skinny field and love to pack it in, so I don't see us getting wide and finishing in the run of play at Houston. I'd gladly take a 0-0 scoreline back to LSP.

Man this is going to be an ugly series.

16. Soccer7947

Soccer7947 Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Kansas
    I 100% agree with you. PV seems to be always out coached by Kinnear, but to be fair. A lot of MLS coaches seem to be out coached by Kinnear. IMO he is the best coach in MLS.

I was rooting for Chicago all the way. I am really unexcited about playing Houston, but I really couldn't ask for a more even game. This is going to be physically tough. If either one of us come out of this series it is going to suck playing the next round on Saturday.

I think one of the keys to this game is trying to beat Tally Hall. The man owns his box. We can't whip the ball in around 6-8 yd away for the goal without him coming out. He is also the only keeper to come out for throw-ins. That means Chance Myers can't put in those worthless balls across the box. We are really going to need the big game from Zusi and Roger. We need to control the middle attacking third.

I could be wrong, but does anyone see the back curling post pass as Houston achilles heel? It worked against them in the last game with Sapong. It just seem to be like Chicago did it once or twice and just seem to lay an egg.

17. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love the use of Atlas by Battles.

18. Jough

Jough Member+

Jul 30, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Houston can beat us on talent alone (though Bruin and Davis (both St. Louis guys!) scare me).

This is gonna be an ugly, chippy series.

Nothing would please me more than scoring a goal in the first 15 in Houston. Grabbing an early lead would really open everything up and force them to play us. I imagine we'll see bunker and counter from the on the return leg, so this may well be a low scoring affair.

2-1 to us? I hope... extra time wouldn't be out of the question. I'm not even going to think about that other thing.

19. jtreg

jtreg Member

Aug 16, 2010
    State of denial
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Patience, patience, and more patience.

Houston straight up handled Chicago.

We cannot fall into the trap of being frenetic with no purpose, get bored, frustrated and then concede on the one or two opportunities Houston gets ... like last year.

I'm fairly confident, from Vermes down, we've learned this lesson.

I see this first leg as a violent staring contest. We can't be the team that blinks.

20. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I watched the game last night I was struck by the lack of energy from Chicago. Houston definitely came with a well prepared plan of attack (Kinnear does this well) that kept Chicago unsettled though most of the game. I was hoping that Chicago would win because their back line is much more susceptible to the SKC method of attacking. Houston's defense, on the other hand, matches up with us well and has been tough for us to crack. Vermes is probably not going to change his basic game plan (because it has been working), but he is going to have to introduce something different to knock Houston off balance and expose some cracks in their defense.

21. Oobers

Oobers Member+

Oct 17, 2011
    Boise
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Love that part of the song, but the vocals throw me off :confused:

22. ZinedineZusi

ZinedineZusi Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    evidently NBC's commitment to MLS doesn't outweigh their commitment to their huge CFL audience. Thank God the guy made that FG at :02 or we probably would have missed the start of LAG-Vancouver.

23. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That has nothing to do with it. They have the same rule as ESPN they stick with the live game they're showing. Soccer fans don't complain when games run long...

24. ji_shuheng

ji_shuheng Member+

Mar 26, 2003
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they do if they're long-time futurama fans.

redinthemorning repped this.
  25. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's to a great series ladies and gentlemen of the sky blue.

I hope some of you can make it down Sunday and have a great time. I got my tickets and reservations for your lovely neck-of-the-woods all finalized today.

I hope your team continues on their impressive form and plays great. I just hope my team plays just a tad greater as well. I am worried about our legs over three games in 8 days.

Watching SKC in the Spring I was impressed. I concluded that Vermes had very smartly built a team and tactics that might struggle a bit in the heat of summer but was designed to excel in the chilly air of playoffs. The tweaks from last year were all things that work especially well in the physical battle that is MLS playoff soccer.