Sportclub Freiburg 09/10 - Die Breisgauer sind wieder da! [R]

Discussion in 'Germany: Clubs' started by Hobo, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seemed like as good a time as any to start a new thread :D

[​IMG]

2. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is good news:

Toprak is very optimistic

Some of the highlights of the article, which was taken from a press conference in which he made his first public appearance 4 months after his go-cart accident

- none of his doctors have said that a comeback is impossible
    - he can already jog, ride the bock and do some weight lifting
    - he has to avoid strong sunlight for a year
    - he hit a real low once, but his parents, friends and the club has given him a lot of support and strength. Plus, he has seen people with much worse injuries than he has in the clinic
    - He has had seven operations so far and has at least one more in front of him.

4. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking forward to the Baden Derby on Sunday. Even just signed up for SC TV - €19.75 for six months. I hope I get my activation code before the game.

5. propeller74

propeller74 Member

Sep 15, 2008
    LA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They certainly need to pick up some points this weekend and stop thei recent trend of bad form. It's all or nothing for Freiburg this year, do they even have a draw yet?

6. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have one draw and added another victory on Saturday away to Bochum!

[​IMG]

In other news, my SCTV is up and running, so I can watch complete games now!

7. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suspect many of you saw this in the news, but Freiburg's president (since 1972) recently died.

Here is a news story on his death

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju9YVRxYPdQ"]YouTube- Tod von Achim Stocker - Sport im Dritten - SWR Fernsehen[/ame]

8. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. propeller74

propeller74 Member

Sep 15, 2008
    LA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent win yesterday! This team has got to find a away to tighten up the defence if it has any chance to stay up.

10. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Had a shutout against Nürnberg! However, it will be a struggle all year, but they are almost on pace to get the all-important 40 points (on pace for 39), with a long way to go of course, in order to stay up.
    They finish the first half with
    Wolfsburg (away)
    Köln (home)
    Dortmund (away)

so they need to get the victory against Köln to more than likely be above the relegation zone over the winter break.

But you are right about the defense. They have given up the most goals in the league (tied with Berlin) but 6 came last week against Bremen. On the positive side, they have more or the same amount of goals of all the teams in position nine and below.

11. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The Ex-Fürth striker Stefan Reisinger loves scoring against Nuremberg, doesn't he (he also scored in both derbies last season)? ;)

12. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. euroman 4

euroman 4 Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clearly losing Toprak before the season began hurt defensiely and coupled with the general inexperience within the squad at this level has all made for inconsistent results. It seems clear that defensive reinenforcements are needed but is there money to make any additions? Are they like to try to do anything in the January window or ride it out and hope?

14. propeller74

propeller74 Member

Sep 15, 2008
    LA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Critical point today. Too bad the couldn't hold the lead against a much better side.

15. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It would have been nice but Wolfsburg hit the crossbar 2-3l times, Dzeko missed at point blank range late and Freiburg's two goals were somewhat irregular. Nonetheless, an away point is always nice, especially against a good team. Next week against Köln daheim!

16. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Don't forget that Wolfsburg also had Man U. on their minds......

17. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ömer Toprak IS BACK!!

[​IMG]
    Comeback: After a 226 day injury break, Ömer Toprak (right) was able to play one
    half of a test match against Spanish club FC Elche

According to "Kicker", Ömer Toprak played 45 minutes of a friendly against Spanish 2nd division club FC Elche.

Toprak said, "I'm not holding back, but I will also stay within myself. Whether I'll be ready for the second half of the season or not, I cannot say. However, it is good for me that I don't have to rule out any goal."

He also said, "I'm totally happy. Things went well and I have no pain........"

18. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's great news. Here is an interview with him in German on the team's website.

http://www.scfreiburg.com/teams/profis/meldungen/interview-mit-ömer-toprak-0

- He's happy to be back and is looking forward to playing in a real game but doesn't know when
    - said the hardest part of his recovery was the "not knowing". With a knee injury, for example, you know how long it will take, but he didn't know if he would ever play again.
    - his rehabilitation took place at Freiburg's university hospital (it's a good one) during the week and on weekend he worked with the team trainers. Sounds like he was at it 7 days a week.
    - amazing amount of support from family, friends, the fans, the club and teammates
    - says what he has gone through has given him a new perspective on life: "When you survive such an accident, you come out of it a much more positive person. At least I have been in a good mood, almost always really, since then."
    - not putting any pressure on himself as far as when he makes his comeback, but does point out that he has yet to play Bundesliga yet, unlike his teammates.
    - but he thinks his fitness is already good enough to play and he is completely taking part in training camp with the team.
    -

19. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's Derby Time

[​IMG]
    And it's on GolTV!

20. propeller74

propeller74 Member

Sep 15, 2008
    LA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another goal-less result. This team has to turn it around. I did not see the match. What were the positives? We are on the road to relegation!

21. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now, I am worried.

22. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just now??

About the only club looking worse at the moment is Hannover.

23. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    more worried then. But I figured there was a good chance at 3 points playing Hertha at home. Nonetheless, Freiburg is still 15th. Luckily, Hertha, FCN and H96 have also been awful most of the season. It is going to be an awful war of attrition the rest of the way.

24. propeller74

propeller74 Member

Sep 15, 2008
    LA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was an embarrassing performance. They are on a honorific run of form now and I am not so confident that they can prevail. It will come down to the end.

25. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hertha and FCN have been looking a bit better lately.

Hannover has their heads totally up their asses.

It will be a tight race to the end at the top and at the bottom.