[Spoilers] New logo/name reactions

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by nobius, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Sadly, they did ask for input from fans in 96. "Wiz" was picked from a "submit the name" contest/poll in the Kansas City Star newspaper. It didn't win the vote (and I can't remember what did), but the organization went with the second place name "Wizards" and shortened it.

2. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They talked about the new name on Around the Horn and it appears PTI will be too in a couple of minutes. The folks on Around the horn didn't like it.

3. TxFan

TxFan Member

Sep 6, 2001
    i really like the name... 1836 was the name i voted for.

the colors are great too, i'm just not sold on the star. i would have liked a badge or a shield...

overall though: very cool.

4. TxFan

TxFan Member

Sep 6, 2001
    i'm not surprised that the guys at around the horn panned it. i don't think most soccer fans will like it... it will take a little while to grow on the non-soccer population...

5. JayJay4Pres

JayJay4Pres New Member

May 10, 2003
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wilbon didn't bash it. Tony K wasn't on board though. ATH was brutal.

6. TxFan

TxFan Member

Sep 6, 2001
    what exactly did they say?

they they also rip the philadelphia "76ers" and the San Francisco "49ers"??

i mean, naming a team after a historical year isn't exactly a new thing in american sports either...

7. Firedog

Firedog New Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Glasgow
    Yeeaah booooy! Not a bad choice for name. I voted for Generals, but hey. I'm waiting to here how Houston 1836 will fit into songs.

8. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations and good luck, folks!

9. HSEUPASSION

HSEUPASSION New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Duck, NC
    Heh, the guys on ESPN think the nickname is 'the 1836'.

Atleast phrase it correctly before taking a pop.

10. Wildcatter Orange

Wildcatter Orange New Member

Jan 25, 2006
    Long-time BS lurker, first-time poster ...

I like the name and the badge. Sure would like to see the team nickname be Generals rather than 36ers, though.

11. SC in SF

SC in SF Member

Nov 18, 2004
    SF
    here's a bigger logo

[​IMG]

Damn it man, the quakes logo is better than this!!!!!!:D:D

12. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saaaaaa-Weeeeeeeeeeeet!!!

Lee

13. ForzaPalermo2006

ForzaPalermo2006 Red Card

Dec 10, 2005
    San Jose, CA, USA
    I'm a soccer purist who has no problem with the name "Houston 1836", however this isn't going to appeal to most Americans. While people tune into the Eagles, Giants, Sharks, Grizzlies and other sports franchises the name 1836 isn't very appealing. The MLS is evidently trying to create a European-American and Hispanic-American fanbase. Let's hope they know what they are doing without alienating converters to soccer and digging themself a grave.

PS---This is one of the many reasons ESPN hates soccer. The MLS cannot damage its relations any further with the media giant and expect to get away unskaved.

14. Entropius

Entropius Member

Feb 14, 2003
    offside
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kornheiser: "1836?! What's their mascot- a calendar?"
    Name's okay, although i think 1836 Houston sounds catchier than Houston 1836.
    Doesn't matter anyway, as most of us will refer to them simply as the 36ers.
    Good luck Houston! i predict this team will be better supported than dallas.

15. Horror Show

Horror Show Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Fullerton, CA
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. I wasn't sure about whether or not their ignorance should be forgiven, but then again, they ARE 'respectable' journalists, and they should have their facts straight before taking pot shots.

Personally, I liked when Wilbon said that MLS teams had some of the coolest nicknames around.

16. djdustmite

djdustmite New Member

Aug 13, 2003
    NJ
    Houston fans, congrats! You've got a great name to go along with what we already know is a great team. Best of luck to you...

17. taboga

taboga Member

Dec 17, 2005
    This is awesome!

18. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    Most of you might. Most people will refer to them as Houston.

It doesn't matter. At all.

The worlds worst name was the Dallas Burn.

It didn't matter. At all.

19. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

20. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    Good to see Oliver Luck (O.L. for ChapulinColorado ;)) and AEG go back to basics in order to bring back the original colors of the most badas$ team Houston ever had . . . the World Champs of ROLLERBALL!!!!!!

Ladies & Gentlemen, I give you . . .HOUSTON 1836

[​IMG]

21. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    I like the logo. I like it a lot. Not that you will have to worry about it any time in the near future, but, um, where exactly will a Championship star go on the logo?

Seriously, The only thing not to like are the hues. They seem muted. The enlarged logo on this thread is better than any of the half-ass colorless photos on mlsnet.com or in the non-enlarged logo. The enlarged logo at least gives some promise that the dull orange might still be good enough when mass produced over a section.

You can at least see them working. Most Texas teams have muted colorless colors. Nothing vibrant. The Rockets being a notable exception and you know their changes of late were more due to the Yuan than anything else.

Anyway, good luck finding materials in that shade of orange for you fans' section. "Rit" dye might have a shade close enough to be of use to you. I hope the jerseys come out well. Orange with blue pinstripes or thin hoops may have a shot at working. Mostly white with a double chest bar of blue and orange would be good, IMO. But, of course, the powers that be will F it up with black somehow.

BTW, Arrowhead is about a 16 hour drive. If you're coming, let us know and we'll schedule a kickaround the morning before the game.

Cheers.

22. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

hey homer!

you are totally right! FCD sucks compared to this beauty

23. KLECKO73

KLECKO73 New Member

Jan 5, 2002
    GARDEN STATE
    I like the name and logo. Good job by Houston. But what impresses me the most was their innovative thinking and doing something totally unique. They are using the color black in their uniform.

24. Toronto Red

Toronto Red Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Curiously, how would that logo as posted by Wizards Charter work on the same color of orange shirt??? :rolleyes:

This suggests black and blue shirts to me!!

BTW the logo is very good, I am impressed.

25. Armis36

Armis36 Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Garland, Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not necessarily, FCD has a red border badge on a red shirt (hoop), DCU has a black border badge on a black shirt.

Don't think we'll know what the uni's look like till they unveil them......unless that gets leaked too :p