[Spoilers] New logo/name reactions

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by nobius, Jan 24, 2006.

1. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    A fitting, and kind of boring, one for the socceraggies.

2. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Cool, I like the name and the colors, the logo will take some getting used to, but it's alright. Congratulations on getting the cool name instead of one of the 11 names in that list that were downright horrible.

3. StarsOnSunday

StarsOnSunday New Member

Nov 30, 2004
    SxLxC
    I think the Lone Star as a crest is fitting as it will be the lone star on Houston's jersey for a long time to come. ;)
    All jesting aside, I think you guys have a really good thing going here. Congrats.

4. houston'06

houston'06 Member

Jan 2, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would rather have seen a star in a shield and 'come and take it' as part, but you can't have everything. Where would you put it?
    Love the colors and the name.

5. Berean Todd

Berean Todd New Member

Jan 25, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    When I first heard it I was not crazy at all about it, but it has really grown on me overnight, thinking about the history tied to the date and all. I also really like the new badge. I am a little nervous about the uniforms ... I can see them being either really great or really awful, so I'm hoping for something quality ...

6. Atom'sDad

Atom'sDad New Member

Feb 27, 2004
    Texas
    I would prefer the outline of Texas than the star.

7. FuBoy

FuBoy Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *agrees*

:) :p

8. Oo Ah Cantona

Oo Ah Cantona New Member

Nov 17, 2005
    Austin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love the name, love the logo. If it's burnt Orange and black, even better.
    My wife does not understand having a year as a team moniker. I'm sure the national and local media will dump all over it. But in the long run, it's unique to American sports team names, and it's classic as far as the world goes. Bring on all challengers, 36'ers 4-Ever.

9. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's okay, but what I really want to know is what Hank Hill thinks of it...

[​IMG]

10. Oo Ah Cantona

Oo Ah Cantona New Member

Nov 17, 2005
    Austin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hank Hill thinks soccer is boring and is for Euro Metrosensuals.

11. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't Arlen supposed to be based on one of the North Dallas suburbs? He's probably an FC Dallas fan. ;)

12. Blu N Houston

Blu N Houston Member

Apr 8, 2005
    In your head!
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hanks a Cowboy fan, so who really gives a rats*ss what Cowboy fans think! :D

13. Bruce (not Arena)

Bruce (not Arena) New Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Austin
    OoAhCantona - The national and local media would dump on it no matter what the name or logo. Can you imagine if it was Gatos?

I like it, but ideally they'd add a banner with Come and Take It, flanked by a couple of cannons at the bottom.
    But I'm not complaining. We are extremely lucky (so far) to 1) have the best team in the league and not an expansion team and 2) have a good name, good colors and a good if not spectacular logo.
    Think how the Salt Lake fans must have felt when the owner went with Real Salt Lake (rather than the obvious and much better Salt Lake City SC, come on citeh!) and then made it worse with Spanish national team hand-me-downs.

Now if we can get some sharp uniforms and not have permanent football lines at Robertson we will be off to an excellent start. Then all we need is a soccer-loving billionaire and a state-of-the-art downtown stadium. Greedy I am not. :D

14. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Who cares??? They won't go to a game anyway... We like it (soccer fans) and that's what is important. MLS has it right - challenge soccer fans to step up to the plate and everyone else will fall in line.

I think the name is quite interesting and like the colors too. The logo is decent.

15. jokeefe80

jokeefe80 Red Card

Oct 31, 2005
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

too bad they didnt think of that 11 years ago. maybe they could have saved the embarrasment of, oh i don't know, wiz, fusion, mutiny, clash etc...

16. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do I get season tickets for coming up with South Texas 1836 or Independiente Texas 1836 way back in April of last year???

Benchwarmer came up with some solid crest designs after I PM'ed my concept to him. That was in August of last year.

I guess they liked my idea after all amigos!

Houston 1836 is perfect. Here's to the club being run correctly. Luck, don't fumble with the Latino/Urban community. They probably already know you have never played the game before....please go out of your way to listen to the common man and how the beautiful game is to be celebrated.

I do hope that our iniform will be like Boca Juniors....All Navy Blue jersey with a Orange bar across the chest. THe top must have a collar. I would go with white shorts and white socks all the time considering the heat factor in our neck of the Gulf Coast! Its Hell's Oven come August!

17. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

I think these are the away kits :D :

[​IMG]

18. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--

Don't hold your breath Celt. The current kit templates for MLS by adidas do not provide collars. As far as a "bar" across the chest. You'll have to settle for a streched bar if the 36ers do go with that look (eg The Chicago Fire kit for 2005-2006). Personally, I don't think Houston will go with the Fire's kit (maybe MLS wouldn't let them either).

I would be happy with something resembling the Crew kit or the KC kit for 1836.

19. Toronto Red

Toronto Red Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Good points here, I remember watching the Scottish Claymores in for NFL Europe. That's a real traditional British name for a sports team don't ya think. I don't remember anyone saying, oh my God!! that's too American!

I think the shield and name are very good. Nice to see that the sport is trying to break the mold. Its a recognition of the World's game.

I am British (I do live in Toronto though, where Toronto City will be playing) but have no objections to teams being called the San Jose Earthquakes or the New York/New Yersey Metrostars. In comparison though, Houston 1836 is neo-classic and I would have thought this would have been well received. What are the 49ers or sixers?

20. .César.

.César. Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Houston
    San Francisco 49er's = NFL fooball team named after the "49er's" of the 1849 Gold Rush. 49er's was name given to the miners rushing to California.

Philadelphia 76'ers a.k.a. "sixxers"= NBA basketball team named after the signing of The Declaration of Independence in 1776 in philadelphia.

And yep....the Houston 1886 fits perfectly.

21. bford

bford Member

Houston Dynamo, Everton, USMNT
    Nov 30, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe that calling the team the 36ers will become popular in Houston... still right now it is hard for some of the non-major soccer fans around here to understand why the team is not the Houston Tigers or something like that.

They will get used to it.

rock
    bford

22. Bruce (not Arena)

Bruce (not Arena) New Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Austin
    I like Benchwarmer's 1836 (orange) design - the top left and bottom right. Just switch the blue for black and use the same font for "1836" as the badge. I'd go with orange socks though.

23. fordfjord

fordfjord Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK by me - do the weapons come standard, as well?

All other teams in the league - it is now time for Carousel! :D

24. Sossego

Sossego New Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Houston, USA
    This is it? It seems like time just ran out for the people behind this; it shows in the logo and the name.

Houston Wanderers would have been way better, I believe.

25. bford

bford Member

Houston Dynamo, Everton, USMNT
    Nov 30, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could have gone with Wanderers, but I think this is great.