[Spoilers] New logo/name reactions

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by nobius, Jan 24, 2006.

1. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that the new name/logo has been found, what do you think of the logo?

[​IMG]

I like it. The orange & blue remind me of the old Astros' colors, the man on the horse could be like the Sam Houston statue, and I can't tell if those things on the bottom are ropes or cannons. What do you think?

2. bford

bford Member

Houston Dynamo, Everton, USMNT
    Nov 30, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The good thing is we will know all of the particuliars tomorrow, but we have most of the idea now... like is it black and orange or navy and orange... I hope it's black and orange personally..

rock

bford

3. chrishungate

chrishungate Member

Dec 16, 2005
    Katy, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like it. Yeah...I think it's a silhouette of the Sam Houston statue - nice touch. And at closer look I don't think those are cannon's on bottom, but just ornamentation/decorative elements.

Also...according to my Photoshop conversion, it's Black and Orange. PMS Black usually translates to a dark gray on screen. That's my take on it anyway.

But I'd go for dark blue or black. Guess we'll know for sure soon enough.

4. nobius

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if it's purely black. Photoshop's eyedrop tool reveals an RGB of 35/31/32 for the inner dark part. More like a dark blue. The orange is 243/138/30.

5. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Is that an oil derrick superimposed on a star? Is it supposed to be the love child of the Oilers and Cowboys?

I like the colors and the name, but I think that star is going to look goofy. I'll be interested to see how it looks on the shirt.

6. chrishungate

chrishungate Member

Dec 16, 2005
    Katy, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right...it's not purely black on screen. But if you take PMS Black and then find it's Pantone-certified RGB equivalent (Using the Art Director's Toolkit on my Mac) you get R:51 G:43 B:36

And PMS Process Black is even closer at R:43 G:41 B:38.

You'd have to get up around 50 or 60 on the Blue value for it to be a blue and it would have very little red in it at all (even the slightest bit of red turns it purple).

I've been a graphic designer/web designer for 10 years so color is my business. Not trying to boast, just cite my credentials for reliability's sake.

7. nobius

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll defer to your knowledge since my PS skills are very weak. I only deal with touching up photos to use in product reviews. I think I was just hoping for blue since that's an old Astros color and I can bust out with my Biggio jersey. :)

Orange and black it is then. I can't figure out what the swirls are. They look like ropes when I use Mac OS X's zoom tool (for some reason it's better than PS at zooming) but it could be the back of a cannon.

8. .César.

.César. Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Houston
    I love it. I think it will look great when positioned in the right place on the jersey. I think those "ornaments" on the bottom are ropes, but not sure.

Can't wait 'til tomorrow.

9. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    [​IMG]

Heyyyyyy!!!!!

Love it!

10. fordfjord

fordfjord Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They sure pulled it fast off the MLS site... ;)

Maybe it is black. Maybe that's just for the shield. Maybe the jerseys will be orange, orange and white, or orange and black. I don't see them being solid black, although that would look neat...

The curly bits look like the wrought iron work you'd see in an old fence or balcony rail.

11. The Spleen

The Spleen New Member

Sep 8, 2005
    San Antonio, Tejas
    [​IMG]

Looks great! Definitely better than FCD's.:D

12. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hm. Glad y'all like it. I think it's kinda thrown together, myself. Unimaginative. ut, hey, it's Texas. Can't have a sports team in the Lone Star state without a star in the logo. *sigh*

I'm hoping this is a first year version, or there'll be some additional versions that appear at the press conference (like the Rapids badge, which was around from the beginning and has become more used as other teams got badges/shields).

How much you want to bet that Houston will be like the Crew - one orange kit and one black kit?

13. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God knows that's better than another white on the road team.

14. UVA-United

UVA-United New Member

Apr 10, 2005
    My only take so far pending the release of the kits is that it's too piggy backed on the Astros.

Love the colors, love 1836...

The star...just not sure...1836 looks better on a shield or a badge...

Just my take and no its not b/c I'm a United supporter

15. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. OK. I'll grant you that. But, yeesh. There are more colors than black and white. WHY??? does MLS insist on such dreck.

I guess I shouldn't bitch too much. But how much you want to bet that we still won't see Revs in blue vs. Houston in orange.

...OK, now that I think about it a bit, I guess it would improve the odds of some nice combos. The Rapids in blue and black stripes will require Houston in orange.

I don't know why I care.

It's silly. But I do.

16. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was my immediate thought when I looked at it.

That badge doesn't distinguish themselves as a separate entity from the teams that already exist in Houston.

But maybe I need to look at a new Astros logo again to remind myself. I didn't think the FCD logo was anything like the Houston Texans logo. Maybe I'm on the flip side of this issue.

17. nobius

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG] vs. [​IMG]

Both being a star doesn't necessarily make them the same. The Astros use brick red now, but the '36 orange is certainly reminiscent of the dome days.

18. enrique14150

enrique14150 New Member

May 19, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    The logo and colors are cool, the name isn't. Real Salt Lake is bad enough.

19. chrishungate

chrishungate Member

Dec 16, 2005
    Katy, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The orange and star are both reminiscent...that's probably what they wanted - something Houstonians might instantly accept because it feels familiar to them. It's still distinct enough, even from the old Astros "H" logo that was on their caps.

[​IMG]

20. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    Maybe that logo is another hoax and tomorrow we will all learn that the new name is The Houston Gatos and the colors are pink and green..;)

21. Blu N Houston

Blu N Houston Member

Apr 8, 2005
    In your head!
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Much love for the new name and logo.I hope it's navy blue and not black.

I just forward it to Rich Lord over at Sports Radio 610... let's see if he runs with it.:D

22. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats, guys. As an outsider looking it, I like it a lot. Now get yourselves a staduim to go with it.

23. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    Well, if that is indeed the new badge, it would certainly be different than the typical shield variety most clubs have.

I like the name and the colors are good too . . .the star, I know it has meaning (Lonestar state and all), but it'll have to grow on me.

Overall, I like it.

36ers . . . nice ring to it.

24. CARLOS1

CARLOS1 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nice logo, the 1836 is trying a bit too hard to be european though.

25. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    agreed.