split screen

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by regulator, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Evil Genius

Evil Genius Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Southern Minnesota
    No, because then you'd just be asking for fans to go nuts. It certainly wouldn't seem to be worth the trouble. My dad hates soccer, and even he thought it was amazingly stupid for NBC to cut into live soccer action with commercials at the Olympics.

2. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    I love the exclaimation point after the word "Live" under the postage-stamp size game screen.

3. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Is it just me or have we lost audio?

4. Evil Genius

Evil Genius Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Southern Minnesota
    Yes sir we have lost audio. Kind of pleasant since I don't have to hear the horns.

EDIT: I'm getting the "no suitable nodes" BigSoccer error. I thought this got fixed a while ago no?

5. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    silence here as well...

by the way, i agree with those who are more annoyed by that aerial camera on the wire that keeps floating past the screen.

6. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    I just saw the split screen. Come on there is no way to defend that garbage. More than half the screen is void of the game or the commercial. It is just wasted on bordering. They can (and should do better) do better. It's almost like they only think things through half way.

7. Lewie

Lewie New Member

Mar 20, 2005
    Queens,New York
    split screen blows, end of story

8. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
  9. PittsburghCrewFan

PittsburghCrewFan New Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I for one am not a damn teeny-bopper. Yes there was a time when commercial breaks were used but that was alos when there was hardly any soccer coverage on tv at all. So many of you people just have to always find something to whine about.

10. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    They know on-site of the audio problem. Working on it.

11. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no audio problems, everyone is just silent.

12. tedski

tedski Member

Sep 10, 2000
    Tucson, Baja Arizona
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We seem to have...and Mr. DellaCamara has never sounded better.

Oops...never mind, he's back.

Ted.

13. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    So am I. Figures it would reoccur on opening day of the MLS season when a lot of people will want to be on BS.

Audio back...Horns too!

14. Evil Genius

Evil Genius Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Southern Minnesota
    Is there any reason why the horns ever got popular? I don't get it.

Then again maybe I'm odd. If I brought a nosiemaker to a game I'd be creative and bring something strange like a digeridoo or a kazoo or one of those mating call whistles you use while hunting.

15. metro fan

metro fan Member

Apr 29, 1999
    Union, NJ
    That is so weak. I just saw it and it's the biggest crap. IMO that's the only say MLS will get national covergae. It's all bout the money

16. Yes, it's all about money... you know, the stuff that made the NFL, MLB & NBA into what there are today?

If the money's good, then I can live with it!

17. Goldenstick

Goldenstick Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Bridge City, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't mind the split screen!! Maybe more MLS games will be televised if the sponsors know they can get some commercials in. I say it's a good move on MLS' part

18. Lurko

Lurko Member

Aug 31, 1999
    DC area
    This crap is just a foot in the door, men. Get ready for game stoppages for commercials.....

19. suppitty

suppitty Member

Mar 15, 2004
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The future of soccer on TV in the US. Once they do it once, we will see it all over the place. Nats games, champions league, fsc games etc. That is here to stay, and if it helps the sport make money then I am not against it, although it was annoying as hell. I have a 27 inch tv, and could barely make out what was going on on the field.

20. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh no, the world is going to end, the tsunamis in Asia, the Pope is dead, the Red Sox won the World Series, commercials during a soccer game, OH NO!!

A total of 4 commercials was played. 4. 4 for those who missed it, only 4. You guys are acting as if 40 commericals was aired through the broadcast.

21. Saeyddthe

Saeyddthe Member

Sep 5, 2003
    St. Looney ^the CB&J
    I know you're all anxious to hear my thoughts on the quality of the broadcast, so:

If they'd just wait for injuries, substitutions, or goalkicks, the split-screen crap wouldn't be so bad...
    If they would abandon it altogether, that'd be even better.
    I didn't like that fecking boom moving back and forth in the camera view. On several occasions, I momentarily thought DC had a man on the wing...
    I've never liked alternative camera angles.
    If I wanted to know what (W)Rongen was saying on the sidelines, I'd lower my head, and run into the wall.
    Brandi Chastain is actually an attractive woman.
    Brandi Chastain is actually a stupid attractive woman...

I hate change.

22. CelticPark

CelticPark Member

May 26, 2003
    FFS, even if it is during something like a goal kick, some of us like to actually watch the match without being distracted by a ridiculous commerical with full audio taking up half the screen.

23. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I rather watch NFL or NBA with 40 commercials (10 total interuptions 2 minutes each) than watch MLS with 4 commercials.

the sky is falling people!!!

24. JasonC

JasonC New Member

May 21, 2001
    Billings, Mont.
    Yes, that was excellent work on ABC's part.

On the other 3 ads, action resumed much quicker than the ad ended. They need to look at keeping these only 10-15 seconds. And, unfortunately, they need to kill the MLS logo that's attached to the end of the ad.

25. JasonC

JasonC New Member

May 21, 2001
    Billings, Mont.
    Well, TiVo is making the 30-second ad obsolete. That's why you're see more product placements now.

Split-screen also would be a way to get around that.