split screen

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by regulator, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Flip1178

Flip1178 New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Bloomington, IN
    that was the worst thing I've every seen. I don't mind the comercial so much. It was more the way it was presented. There was no reason to take up that much screen real estate on decorations. Hell, half of the screen was just a solid background shot.

How about this. First, there is no need to have the name of your new gimick that dominant on the screen. Cut down the font size and increase the screen sizes for both feeds. Second why not take the score line out from above the live picture and put in a seperate bar graphic somewhere in the unused part of the screen. That way you can increase the size of the live feed which will make it a little more acceptable by the fans.

We don't care about any stupid background animations some intern came up with because he thought it was pretty. We care about the game. And the sponsors care about their product. Do us and them a favor. Bring someone in to redesign your new toy. All flash and no substance. Shame on you.

2. regulator

regulator Member

Apr 25, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they were the same size i thought, its just the camera was farther out for the game

3. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It saves MLS money, so I can't complain with them for trying it. I like it when they have an injury on the field, its good timing. However, doing it while the ball is still in play is a horrible idea. Go back to the ALCS in 2003 when Manny hit a homerun on the first pitch in an inning and no one at home knew what was going on.

Now what they should get rid of is the sky cam. I don't like the idea of having it out there, and im sure the players dont as well.

4. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    Where the heck are u guys watching the game? No Pope coverage where u are?

5. Michael CM1

Michael CM1 New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Atlanta, Georgia: US
    They said they were only going to do it during goal kicks so I think they're impeding on action as little as possible. Rarely does something happen within 30 seconds of a goal kick. I just don't think many people on here understand the business side of all this. It's not like this is MLB where money pours in like a biblical flood. If someone prefers no soccer league to soccer games on TV with 2 minutes split screen with ads...well I just don't know why they're on here.

6. Michael CM1

Michael CM1 New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Da-na-na...da-na-na (ESPN)

7. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    There are smarters ways to do it man. Come on, be a little creative and give it some thought....

8. Michael CM1

Michael CM1 New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Well I have ideas but they stole them for the movie Batman Forever.

Advertisers want to run 30-second traditional ads. They obviously have provedn very effective which is why they are what most commercials are. Speaking of creative, I seriously hope FC Dallas sells the naming rights to the Frisco complex. It's easy money.

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I accept that the league wants to do this, and needs the money.

But FFS, there's no reason the game couldn't have been 1/3 bigger. Sh**, they might as well just use the whole screen for the ad. They'll get more money, and we won't lose anything.

10. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    Thanks man...

11. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    i'm sure they can improve it a bit by using more of the screen space for the game/ad - but if it means more money for the network showing the game that is a good thing...

12. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    Naming rights are fine for a cash strapped league. They'd be crazy not to..

13. NoSix

NoSix Member+

Feb 18, 2002
    Phoenix
    Is that a fact - exactly how much more is "ABC or MLS or whoever (sic)" getting for the split screen ads?

No, and yet somehow MLS got through nine seasons without them :rolleyes:

14. PittsburghCrewFan

PittsburghCrewFan New Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Get a freaking grip people!!!! It is two ads per half. ONE MINUTE EACH HALF!!!! Considering all programs have comercials and the lack of popularity of soccer in this country it is remarkable it has taken this long for any kind of ad during play.

15. Michael CM1

Michael CM1 New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    The Atlanta Hawks traded Dominique Wilkins and a draft pick for Danny Manning. I never think anything is too stupid to happen in sports...especially if Steve Sampson is anywhere nearby. :)

16. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    no, the game is smaller. They put the score box up above it.

17. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    ESPN

18. sljohn

sljohn Member

Apr 28, 2001
    Out of town
    I do understand the business side of this. That's why I'm so pissed about it. One of the reasons I really enjoying watching soccer as compared to all, and I do mean all, of the other sports on TV, is being able to watch for 45 minutes without a commercial.

What I truly appreciate is the unbounded limits of commercial interests. These ads are not going to be the difference between success and failure of MLS. And while, I'm not usually one to go for slipperly slope arguments or domino theories, I truly view these split screen ads as the camels nose underneath the tent. What happens when it goes from twice a half to three or four times a half? Or, why not have an ad for every injury? Or, a 15 second ad every goal kick? Will you complain then? Welcome to death by 1000 cuts.

Also, this is far more intrusive both because of the clunky presentation (which, yes, can be easily improved upon) but especially because they take over the sound too. I am far more tolerant of those special animations that fill up a much smaller portion of the screen.

19. Beast_Ed

Beast_Ed Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Boston MetroWest
    LETTER TO MLS:

1) At 3pm, ABC didn't make any announcement that the game was moved to ESPN when the 'breaking news' about the Pope hit. I sat and watched Catholics cry for 15 min before crying myself, after I found out I could have watched the start of one of the most anticipated soccer games in MLS history, right on ESPN.

2) Side-by-Side ? Showing commercials during live soccer and killing the sound and commentating of the game? It wasn't even a good commercial! After ten years of MLS and 13 years past the first uninterrupted televised game in the US, I had hoped this issue was gone. However, I see we've resurrected the advertising model during a live soccer match. Ugly, get rid of it. Show me a banner at the botton of the screen, but don't take the game down to 20% of the screen size and eliminate the sound, and call it "side by side". Please.

3) Sky Cam - A camera on a cable suspended over the field slightly above all the players. OK, a neat idea, but seriously adds NO VALUE to any other camera angle seen before. Get rid of that too. Do the players like a cable and 60lb tv camera 10 feet above their heads? I bet not. Can't wait to see the reaction when the ball hits the wire one day.

4) Camera Shots - BACK UP ! And show the game from the side, like from the midfield up high. I need to see the runs off the ball and the play as it unfolds. Seeing live soccer action up close is like sitting in the front row of the Home Depot center but forced to watch the whole game through binoculars. You miss everything!

5) Can we get some High Def ?

Please fix these issues so I can remain a loyal MLS TV fan. Yes I go to all the Rev games at home, but in order to follow along with the league, I need to watch on TV too. Make TV good please :)

BTW, Fox Sports World (now FSC) did a great job last year broadcasting from the HDC, I watched every game from the HDC, because I knew it would not frustrate me. Maybe I should never watch ABC broadcasts if they remain the way they are? They are merely theatrical versions of the game and I'd rather mow my lawn.

Beast
    --
    Frustrated Soccer Fan
    Boston, MA

20. Michael CM1

Michael CM1 New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Unless I'm mistaken MLS has paid ABC/ESPN2 to broadcast the games and the World Cup. It costs them money instead of makes them money.

I can't tell you for sure that the 30-second ads get more money than the little on-air logos. But if the logos were more profitable, there would be 5 of 'em around the scoreboard every game.

If anybody knows where to find out how much each of those costs and advertiser I (among with others) would love to know.

21. NoSix

NoSix Member+

Feb 18, 2002
    Phoenix
    What all you teeny-boppers don't seem to realize is that soccer coverage on TV in the USA used to cut away from live action to show full-screen commercials. I for one see this as back-sliding down a slippery slope.

22. Evil Genius

Evil Genius Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Southern Minnesota
    Are you just looking for things to complain about? IIRC in the past when news has overtaken MLS games they've been relegated to late-night tape delay replays.

It's not as if ABC news works in sync with ABC sports. And besides, there was probably too much chaos in the news room with all the breaking news for them to remember about the MLS game being moved.

23. NoSix

NoSix Member+

Feb 18, 2002
    Phoenix
    My point exactly. You "guarantee it", but you have no idea what you're talking about.

24. Michael CM1

Michael CM1 New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    I will say ABC should've thought about this a day or so ago. Not necessarily about the MLS game but what to do about any programming pre-empted. They had been told by the Vatican that he was gonna die soon. Still they got the game to ESPN without missing any action if you switched channels enough. But hey, people screw up.

25. Michael CM1

Michael CM1 New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    I DO have an idea. As I said a couple of times, networks wouldn't run so many 30-second ads if they weren't the most effective. If logos over the screen were the most profitable and effective they would show Budweiser logos during Desperate Housewives. Alas they break away and show 30-second commercials.