split screen

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by regulator, Apr 2, 2005.

1. regulator

regulator Member

Apr 25, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    when they said there would be split screen commercials, i didn't realize they meant: 'half the screen with useless description of spilt screen, quarter screen of game footage, quarter screen of commercial... :mad:

2. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    As long as it's only a 30 second commerical I don't care.

3. Bill63

Bill63 Member

Jul 16, 2000
    That Thing was HORRID!!!!!!! Don't ever do that again!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

4. Michael CM1

Michael CM1 New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Atlanta, Georgia: US
    I coulda told you that. The aspect ratio would've been messed up otherwise. As I said before, would you prefer them cut totally to commercial during action like NASCAR coverage does? If you got a better idea how to show a commercial during the game, run it by us. I think this is a good idea to get more $$$$ during broadcasts.

5. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    It's pathetic. That's really going to sell the sport here.

6. regulator

regulator Member

Apr 25, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i know, but the least they could have done is made the commercial and the game footage larger, and removed the 'new! split screen!' or whatever the hell it said on the bottom portion of the screen

7. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not the end of the world people.

8. Stephen1164

Stephen1164 New Member

Jul 7, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's all about the mighty Ad dollar......That sucked

9. Michael CM1

Michael CM1 New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    They might do that in the future. Right now most everybody watching would be "WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON????" I have a 27" TV and it was all big enough for me. It probably sucks if you got a little 2" portable. I couldn't read the score or time on mine last year.

10. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Stick a product banner at the bottom of the screen the way Spanish-language stations do. NOT commmercials.

11. regulator

regulator Member

Apr 25, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    have a 'true' split screen, and show the commercial on the bottom half of the screen (obscuring the bottom half of the game, but presumably, most of the action would be taking place in the middle anyway).

12. Bill63

Bill63 Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Fidlerre will care when a goal is scored and everyone looks like picnic ants! :mad:

13. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the little animated ads you see on Mexican TV fútbol broadcasts would work better if the ball's in play.

Now if someone's injured, though, an actual ad isn't bad.

14. Evil Genius

Evil Genius Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Southern Minnesota
    Which is actually what they just did when Cuadros went down.

15. nimitivd

nimitivd Member

Mar 27, 2005
    las vegas
    that side by side crap is annoying enough for me NOT to buy the product. Lets hope its just for ABC games and not all epsn games. It will get old real quick.

16. regulator

regulator Member

Apr 25, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yea i was just about to say that (about the injuries). i cant remember, but are they supposed to show a set # of ads per half? cuz if not, they should just show them every time a guy goes down injured, god knows mls could make a ton of money that way

17. Michael CM1

Michael CM1 New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    That was a good job by the producer. I don't think anybody minds those commercials. Actually that is a better way to have people watch than regular commercials. During standard ones I bet millions of people change the channel.

18. Beast_Ed

Beast_Ed Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Boston MetroWest
    I'm boycotting all products shown in the Side-by-Side. Sorry Sierra Mist, never drinking you again. You are supposed to support soccer, not stand between the viewer and his game.

Beast Ed

19. Michael CM1

Michael CM1 New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    I read two 30-second ads per half. Therefore shouldn't be any more during the first half. They may change their mind if there's another injury.

20. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    Maybe not but close!! :mad:

21. NoSix

NoSix Member+

Feb 18, 2002
    Phoenix
    What he said.

22. Michael CM1

Michael CM1 New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    I can guarantee you ABC or MLS or whoever gets way more money from the split screen than just a banner at the bottom. That's why the little ad next to the scoreboard doesn't pay for the entire broadcast. None of this is free you guys know.

23. sljohn

sljohn Member

Apr 28, 2001
    Out of town
    I'm pissed. The ads totally suck, especially with the additional distraction of the sound. On my screen I could barely see the soccer action. I immediately sent off a letter to feedback@mlsnet.com with my (assertive but courteous) complaint.

We're already subjected to plenty of commercial messages and other distractions on screen. Adding this side-by-side ad crap is a taking it way too far.

24. tedski

tedski Member

Sep 10, 2000
    Tucson, Baja Arizona
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here I thought I'd go here and open up a thread on the split screen (hey, no one has called it s*** screen yet...I'm suprised).

But, you guys have already talked about it.

What irritates me most is that the commercial gets a bigger screen than the game. What is up with that?

Ted.

25. Evil Genius

Evil Genius Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Southern Minnesota
    Oh for Christ's sake. You think that maybe the first time they used it went a little clunkier than planned? Unwad your panties and see how it works for the rest of the game before going off the deep end.

Granted I don't like it much either, but it's not worth the bother to go apeshit after seeing something once.