Spain's team of the last eight years officially now better than the great Brazilian teams?

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by YankBastard, Jul 2, 2012.

1. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Bullshit.

3. Gilmar

Gilmar Member

May 25, 2012
    Rio de Janeiro
    No, they're just the best in this current era poor of talents.

Only people who don't know nothing about football would have doubts about it, which appears to be your case YankBastard.

4. YankBastard

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You need to back up your claim with evidence/examples, rather than insulting others who ask a viable question.

5. Gilmar

Gilmar Member

May 25, 2012
    Rio de Janeiro
    I don't need to claim nothing in an obvious flamer thread. If you want evidences go ahead and find by yourself on good sites and videos on YT, not this crap of BBC or the majority of the english media.

6. YankBastard

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have seen highlight after highlight and I'm not convinced. This Spanish team can shred apart any Brasil team in history. Pound-for-pound, they have better players in every position. Even the 1970 WC team.

7. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Why are people responding to an obvious troll? Dude makes a douchebag post on a messageboard and then gets his kicks out of reading the reactions. It's extremely sad/pathetic if you think about why people do this.

IVO ! repped this.
  8. YankBastard

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do you think I'm trolling? I have no reason to troll the Brasil board. It's an good question and I still haven't seen anyone give any type of answer why the old Brazilian teams can match this Spanish team.

9. PapaDoc23

PapaDoc23 Member

Apr 9, 2012
    Brooklyn,New York
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    The only reason why this Spanish team is good is because of many reasons
    1. This team have been playing together since U-17. So they have been playing together for years. They know each other,how each other plays. They played together from U-17,U-20 to know. It is the same team.
    2. They almost all play in the same clubs in Spain except Silva and Torres. Most of the Spanish players plays in Real Madrid or Barcelona. So when you have players who played together in the same club for many months in year they get used to each other.

Spain is the best team of this generation. You can't compare one team to another because football changed from 1970 to 2012. I think a better match up would be the Brazil team from the 1990s and early 200s.That team was very solid and when Ronaldo was at his prime he cut defenses apart.

Imperador3 repped this.
  10. YankBastard

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the Brazilian senior players never played with each other when they were in the youth teams? As for all playing on the same team, you're forgetting Mata, Jordi Alba, Jesus Navas, Llorente, Santi Cazorla, and Negredo. Of course I understand that all of them didn't get huge amounts of playing time.

11. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    they mostly have. brazil's youth system is much more organized than it was previously. on top of that, brazil can actually keep its U17 and U20 guys in Brazil. I can't tell you how many previous generations of U17 and U20 guys have been snatched away by European clubs only to fade into obscurity.

not to mention the fact that many current spanish players play together on either madrid or barcelona. it's a huge advantage. the brazil team from 62, for example, was made up basically all santos and botafogo players.

12. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Look at the FACT, based on FIFA rankings of Brazil 12 times as #1 in the last 18years
    Yr == Rank
    2006 1
    2005 1
    2004 1
    2003 1
    2002 1
    2001 3
    2000 1
    1999 1
    1998 1
    1997 1
    1996 1
    1995 1
    1994 1

Now Spain needs to catch up with Brazil for 7 more years (since they started from 08 -12)

13. scabbt22

scabbt22 Member

Feb 14, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I think the only logical way to compare this is to list actual numbers. Here is the breakdown

Brazil 1970 WC
    Record: 6-0-0
    GF: 19
    GA: 7

Spain 2010 WC
    Record: 6-0-1
    GF: 8
    GA: 2

Nothing to take anything away from Spain since they have been the best team for the last 2 years but the numbers above are pretty lopsided.

14. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That's not the comparison that's being made.

Here's the thing, I get everyone's emotional response to this trend. Yeah it sucks to hear the rest of the world go on about how Spain might be the best ever. But if you're going to engage the discussion, I encourage you to do it based on what is being put forward, not by distorting things or producing emotional responses. (I mean this in general, not exclusively as a reply to scabbt22).

Now, the problem here is that it is near-impossible to do.

Any top team today would beat Brazil 1958 or 1970 if you could somehow travel in time and put them on the same field. If you don't think so you're deluding yourself about the improvements made in sports fitness and prep since then. So how do we compare teams? It requires imagination - can we imagine Pelé's soccer-brain today? If he had the benefits of modern fitness and coaching how would he do today?

That's the sort of imaginative exercise I love and it's why I enjoyed The Beautiful Game forum here when I participated regularly. Simply dismissing the idea that Spain might be the best ever team makes me think that the forum here is made up of unimaginative, zealous fans who have trouble questioning their assumptions and get defensive when others propose ideas outside of their comfort zone.

Ivo, why is it bullshit?

Gilmar and NotreDame, this is far from trolling. Unless you think the whole world is trolling Brazil right now, but that's an unhealthy position to take.

PapaDoc - I like where you are going. I agree Spain is the best team of this generation. I would say Brazil of Ronaldo's generation is an easier comparison - the time between those two teams does not make the physical fitness reality a huge factor.

scabbt - as far as I understand the comparison is Spain 2008-2012 (maybe 2014 if they keep winning, I hope not) to Brazil 1970 or Brazil 1958-62 or other generations of Brazil or other nations, not simply one tournament to one tournament. It makes the argument more complicated but more fun. Your comparison was dismissive.

celito, Rana catesbeiana and Imperador3 repped this.
  15. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    The manner in which he did it was a obvious troll. Either that or he is a moron who doesnt know how to properly/respectively start such a topic on a home board.

16. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    *properly/respectfully

17. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    No need to compare with Brazil70 (the best ever team in most lists)

Let compare to Brazil in last decade as easier and closer (modern time), with also taking "8years span" as same context:
    =========== GP= W= D = L = GF = GA = Pts = Medal
    Brazil WC98 == 7 == 4 = 1 = 2 = 14 = 10 = 13 === #2
    Brazil copa97== 6 == 6 = 0 = 0 = 22 = 3 = 18 === #1
    Brazil conf97== 5 == 4 = 1 = 0 = 14 = 2 = 15 === #1
    Brazil copa99== 6 == 6 = 0 = 0 = 17 = 2 = 18 === #1
    Brazil WC02 == 7 == 7 = 0 = 0 = 18 = 4 = 21 === #1
    TOTAL ------- 31== 27= 2 = 2 = 85 = 21==85

SpainWC06 == 4 == 3 = 0 = 1 = =9 = 4 = 9 === #9
    Spain Eu08 == 6 == 5 = 1 = 0 = 15 = 3 = 16 === #1
    Spain conf09==5 == 4= 0 = 1 = 11 = 4 = 12 === #3
    Spain Eu12 == 6 == 4 = 2 = 0 = 12 = 1 = 14 === #1
    SpainWC10 == 7 == 6 = 0 = 1 = =8 = 2 = 18 === #1
    TOTAL -------28==22= 3 = 3 = 55 = 13= 69

So overall(Brazil 96-02 > Spain 06-12)

Brazil won 4.75/5 trophies > Spain 3.5/5
    Brazil got 85 points/31games > Spain 69points/29games
    Brazil scored 85goals/31 > Spain55/28

Well' wait to see how Spain would do in next Olympic12, and we'll add Brazil Olympic96 to the table ...

18. _RC_

_RC_ New Member

Jul 10, 2012
  19. Sranang

Sranang Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Suriname
    Sorry but this is typical Euro babble. It is simply impossible to compare the two teams. Different era different strategies different level of competition.

For me Brazil 1970 was the best of all times. Brazil of 1982 the 2nd best.

Here are some more facts the Euros will "love":

Until the Bosman ruling in the early nineties, South America won most Intertoto Championships by (Euro club champion VS South American Club chamions)

Only after the Bosman ruling (which allowed more foreigners in the Euro leagues) did the wins become more balanced.

Jiripoca repped this.
  20. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Spain are a great team- no denying that- their success speaks for itself.. But alot of the time they can be pretty boring to watch..if only they took more risks and more shots at goal.. To me they play a low risk possesion game and over do their passing .. But you cant fault their success and in years from now they will be remembered as one of the all time greats.. I think people ( me included) do take for granted how good spains passing and movement really is in an era of pace power and the closing down of space.. And people also overlook just how good spain are at closing down space themselves and winning the ball back.. Similar to the 1982 brazil team in that respect.. But spain are not as good to watch as brazil 82 , holland 74 etc ..they are brilliant no doubt but without the flair and entertainment of other great teams

21. Jiripoca

Jiripoca Member

Jul 16, 2013
    London - Sao Paulo - Peruibe
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yes I`m glad someone else has noticed that we (South America) used to win more World Club Championships than the Euros, until each Euro team now has so many foreigners, including South Americans, that it can no longer be classed as a Euro v SA contest and is now invalid. We did it with home grown players. Can you imagine the Euro teams playing with only home grown players LOL, how shite would they be.
    Another point to be made is that the Euros cheat at WCs by having so many of their teams flooding the tournament, so the chances of them doing well in a knockout tournament increases and makes them look better than they are. On average they have 3 to 4 times as many teams as SA countries do. Cheating is cheating and no amount of excuse making will change that.

22. ripalino

ripalino Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

What happened in the cc? 0-3 ...LOL....This spanish team is finished. You can have extraordinar players at each position but they are too old . They will lose to Brazil B team now , and i am serious.

23. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    This Yanki is nuts.

24. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    How ironic this statement is after Brazil demolished and humiliated the Spanish team in the CC! It has to be noticed that during the entire period in which this Spanish generation shined, they did not play against Brazil. The one time they did... oh wow, they took a beating!

Anyway, Spain won 1 WC, Brazil 5. Spain has been dominant lately, but they still have a lot of catching-up to do to match Brazil, and the truth is that their energy seems to be fading away... They seem in decline rather than in ascension so I don't see how they will catch-up.

I do still think they are a threat, but their tiki-taka is becoming obsolete. When teams attack aggressively their ball possession on their side of the field then explore their flanks with speedy counter-attacks, they tend to be disorganized and uncreative, like a one-trick pony that was robbed of his one trick. That's what Italy did in the CC, that's what Brazil did, and that's by the way what Bayern did in the CL last year to Barcelona, and they suffered the same fate by Real Madrid when Bayern got into the tiki-taka as well. So, lately, all tiki-taka practicing teams got thoroughly beaten.

For me, tiki-taka is over and now people know how to beat a team that practices this style. That's why I'm not putting much faith in Spain's chances in the upcoming WC.

But again, they do have loads of individual talent so they remain a threat. I think they will do well, but I don't see them winning it all because teams and coaches have learned how to beat them, so eventually someone will bring them down.

As for being the best team of all time? Hm... a very harmonious team that has good individual talent and they play very well together, sure. The best of all time? Not so sure. First, it's hard to compare across eras. Second, at the very least, they are far from being the most entertaining and exciting team of all time. Both Holland and the two best Brazilian teams (70-82) were much more entertaining. If this is some measure of "best" then Spain is behind. If "best" is linked to results, then as proved above, Brazil had better results.

So, no. My conclusion overall is, no. Spain is an efficient team, but not the best of all time.

leonidas and giles varley repped this.
  25. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I keep daydreaming about Brazil 94 x Spain 2010.