Spain NT News and Rumours

Discussion in 'Spain: National Teams' started by SpaniardFC, Aug 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpaniardFC

SpaniardFC Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Vilagarcía de Arousa
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Spain vs haiti? How? Why? I didn't know they had a national team.

2. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Preparation for the Tahiti encounter at the Confederations. ;)

3. Bialo Czerwoni

Bialo Czerwoni Red Card

Feb 28, 2013
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Germany too short. The run is over

4. .Azulgrana.

.Azulgrana. Red Card

Aug 2, 2012
    A rematch of last summer's Euro 2012 meeting confirmed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22064945

This announcement completes Spain's preparations for the 2013 FIFA Confederations Cup, to be played from June 15th to the 30th. La Furia Roja will play 3 friendly matches before the tournament begins. This is the schedule:

June 6 - Red Bull Arena (Harrison)
    Spain v Northern Ireland

June 8 - Lockhart Stadium (Miami)
    Spain v Haiti

June 11 - Yankee Stadium (New York)
    Spain v Republic of Ireland

Spain will begin their Confederations Cup campaign on the 16th of that month against South American champions Uruguay in Recife.

5. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Just because Hernando de Soto died along the Mississippi River in 1542 is not an excuse for the NT to not play west of the Mississippi, hint hint, there are Spaniards who live out here on the left coast!

Ese Beti Oe!!

6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    what are the chances Llorente makes the squad? Still can't believe he was brought to the Euros only not to play.

7. the one and only

Jul 15, 2011
    At this moment, none in my opinion

8. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Who??

9. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    Does Del Bosque still start Casillas now?

Also, we seem to have a critical problem with strikers.

10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Great question. Maybe Reina will get a few starts. Good form for Liverpool lately. Maybe even a call up for DeGea. And for strikers, always Michu and Soldado.

11. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    De Gea has been called up. Valdes would get the start before Reina.

Michu hasn't been called yet, I don't think he ever will even though I think he would fit the system perfectly. Soldado seems to have shagged Del Bosques daughter or something, even when he scored a hat trick for Spain he didn't get a call up the next time around.

12. .Azulgrana.

.Azulgrana. Red Card

Aug 2, 2012
    The issue with Soldado isn't a performance one, it's other factors that see him less preferred to the other strikers currently in the team. Michu I don't see getting called up for this tournament because he hasn't had as much of a hot streak in recent months as he did earlier in the season when he should have been given a shot, I'd be surprised if Vicente calls him up for this unless he's going with more of a B-team (with him I doubt that).

Casillas should remain the keeper in my opinion, the issues with his club manager are different and unrelated to his position in the national team. He's still been training so he's remained sharp enough, not like he's completely rusty right now.

13. the one and only

Jul 15, 2011
    But which strikers will he call up though??? Villa's no longer the same Villa we used to know, but i think Del bosque will call him up with Negredo. And we'll see the return of Torres too.
    Spain seems to have abundance of telent in every position except in the striker position.

14. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    Del Bosques prelist for the confed cup

Porteros: Casillas (Real Madrid), Reina (Liverpool) y Valdés (Barcelona).
    Defensas: Monreal (Arsenal), Jordi Alba (Barcelona), Albiol (Real Madrid), Piqué (Barcelona), Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid), Azpilicueta (Chelsea) y Arbeloa (Real Madrid).
    Centrocampistas: Iniesta (Barcelona), Cazorla (Arsenal), Busquets (Barcelona), Xabi Alonso (Real Madrid), Xavi Hernández (Barcelona), Javi Martínez (Bayern de Múnich), Javi García (Manchester City) y Beñat (Betis).
    Delanteros: Mata (Chelsea), Silva (Manchester City), Cesc Fábregas (Barcelona), Pedro (Barcelona), Jesús Navas (Sevilla), Villa (Barcelona) y Fernando Torres (Chelsea), Soldado (Valencia).

15. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Good to see that certain players like Monreal, Azpilicueta and Beñat are still in Del Bosque's mind. I wonder if we're going to see some first team changes in this tournament already (thinking of Xabi and Arbeloa) or if he's going to stick with the usual first team players. Hopefully Villa gets some of his old form back, because we're going to need him come next summer.

16. .Azulgrana.

.Azulgrana. Red Card

Aug 2, 2012
    Good squad, no real surprises. Soldado, Benat, and Martinez all deservedly getting called up for this tournament.

I don't get why Javi Garcia is in though, he hasn't had a good season with City, he hasn't established himself as a starter there nor does he offer anything the other midfielders don't. Would have been better off calling up a different option like Michu or even another striker in Negredo, but I guess the experience won't hurt him.

Puyol unable to make the cut again, not sure if he'll be in del Bosque's plans to go to the World Cup next summer even if he's fit considering his potential fitness issues these days and probably a lack of playing time next season with Barca if a world class centerback arrives.

17. the one and only

Jul 15, 2011
    Del Bosque doesn't seem to like making changes unless he's really forced to (meaning if Spain looses a game by about 3 goals difference), so i'll put my money on him not changing his starting line up even though i personally think 2 or 3 players in the usual starting line up for Spain should be relegated to the bench.

As for Villa, i don't see it getting back to his old form.

Finally, who're the 3 players that will get cut from the final squad??? I think it will be Soldado, Garcia (how did he even make it to the list?) and 1 of Albiol/Benat

18. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    I'm guessing Navas, Soldado, and Benat will be cut.

19. REALFOREVER

REALFOREVER Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Garcia will be cut for sure.

I don't think Soldado will be cut unless they never plan on playing Villa and Torres at the same time.

20. the one and only

Jul 15, 2011
    I don't see how any reasonable coach will do this given the talent in the Spanish team.
    Soldado will get cut because Del bosque doesn't seem to include him in his plans, and Navas won't get cut because Del bosque seems to like him and he also brings something different to the Spanish team.

21. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Options at centerback appear to be slim so I'm guessing Albiol survives the cut and Puyol makes the trip next year barring injury.
    Surely there must be others to consider at the position (?)

22. .Azulgrana.

.Azulgrana. Red Card

Aug 2, 2012
    Well, Albiol has actually looked quite decent for Real in recent months as he's gotten more and more playing time as opposed to the previous two seasons so he could still be a decent option.

I guess Martinez is seen as a fourth choice CB option, since Busquets and Garcia were both called up.

Inigo Martinez, Alvaro Gonzalez, Chico Flores, Mikel Gonzalez, Alvaro Dominguez, and Inigo Lopez probably deserve a look at.

As for strikers, I'd say Michu, Iago Aspas, Leo Baptistao, and Ruben Castro could be looked at for next year's finals, but the current set of strikers seem just fine to me.

23. REALFOREVER

REALFOREVER Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Well if Soldado doesn't make it than another striker has to go but there are none.

In the past, Torres has played up top with Villa on the left at times, which means you need to take a another striker.

24. the one and only

Jul 15, 2011
    That was in 2008. Today imo, that's not going to happen unless Spain is chasing the scoreline with about 10 minutes left.
    I mean, who is the coach going to bench in other to accomodate 2 players in decline into the starting line up???
    As for the 3rd Striker option, well Del bosque will probably use Fabregas as a false 9 again lol
    Del bosque's motto is "if it isn't broken, then don't fix it", even if it's becoming more and more shaky and unstable...

25. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    If Benat does well this summer that will definitely drive up his asking price and Betis needs the money, so he will more than be sold. He has not done so well this second half of the season and it shows as Er Glorioso's performance has dipped recently!