Spain NT News and Rumours

Discussion in 'Spain: National Teams' started by SpaniardFC, Aug 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpaniardFC

SpaniardFC Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Vilagarcía de Arousa
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    http://www.marca.com/2011/08/05/futbol/seleccion/1312522121.html

The Brazilian press has been critical of the CBF for not trying to court/call up thiago for the brazilian national team, and the CBF now says that the door isn't closed, and thiago is a player they're interested in playing for the selecao.

I know thiago has always wanted to play for spain, but his brother has always wanted to play for brazil.

2. Rivelino87

Rivelino87 Member

Aug 10, 2008
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Atletico Belo Horizonte
    Good on his brother!

I find his decision to be pretty pathetic really, considering he is fully Brazilian, has no Spanish heritage, and was born in Italy.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3277...-be-difficult-for-barcelonas-thiago-alcantara

His father was quoted here saying that the Brazilian team is always in instability, which is a lie. The rest of his reasoning makes a little more clear the reason behind the decision:

"He could be called up once, twice and then who knows. If this was the case then he would not be able to play for either."

I think that this is clearly a career-oriented move, despite the PR his father has been releasing along the lines that it wouldn't be fair because he grew up in Spain and in Barca, now that Del Bosque has astutely attempted to lock him into playing for the Spanish side with the call-up against Italy. Before his father had said that he dreamed that his son would one day defend the colors he had so proudly defended before. It makes sense since Brazil has a brilliant and promising crop of midfielders more-or-less around his generation, and he would by no means be guaranteed a spot in 3-4 years time.

And for those saying that he has football roots in Spain or Blaugrana DNA... He trained in Flamengo from 4-5 and 10-15 (total of 6 years). He arrived at Barca already at 15 (5 years ago). He doesn't play very differently from the Brazilian midfielders of the Brasileirão...

His words about wanting to be successful at football and not necessarily at Barcelona already say enough and give a good glimpse of his personality and motives.

Sds.

3. SpaniardFC

SpaniardFC Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Vilagarcía de Arousa
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    He probably could relate more with europeans, than with brazilians.

4. Rivelino87

Rivelino87 Member

Aug 10, 2008
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Atletico Belo Horizonte
    I personally doubt it, considering his entire family is Brazilian and he has lived in Brazil for extend periods of time. I wonder (because of his desires of wanting to be successful and lack of loyalty he has already hinted at with his Barca comments) if he would have made this decision if the Spanish NT were not going through its golden years at the moment as the current WC champions. What makes you believe that?

5. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Lack of loyalty argument makes no sense at all. What loyalty are Barça showing their canteranos by selling them off to make money to buy other players? What loyalty is Barça showing by buying big name players for positions he plays in that might halt his progress? This is football, people only talk about 'loyalty' when it serves their purpose. Otherwise it's everybody looks after themselves.

Thiago has been playing for the Spanish youth teams well before Spain won their 2nd European Cup, we should ask him the upcoming winning lotto numbers since he could foresee Spain taking the EC and WC that he decided to play for the Spanish youth team before it happened.

Time spent in Brasil: I'm sure he learned everything there is to know when he trained in Brasil at the age of 4-5 that you would add that up to his total. :D I'm not sure what kind of child endangering training schedules they put 4 year olds through in Brasil, but at that age the training can't even be called basic.

But then I understand you would want to add every year you can get your hands on as you failed to mention that from 5 to 10 he was training in Spain, making his 'football life' in Spain a total of 10 years vs the 6 he had in Brasil.

Not that any of this matters. He has played for the Spanish youth teams since 2007, not for any other nations. If he's sticking to his choice to play for Spain now, that would show loyalty (serves my purpose)

6. Rivelino87

Rivelino87 Member

Aug 10, 2008
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Atletico Belo Horizonte
    I can see you are very passionate about this subject...

He actually went back to Brazil at the age of 10 and stayed there until he was 15 training in Flamengo's youth academy, only joining Barca's academy 5 years ago at the already advanced age of 15. He started playing for Spain at 16, after having lived some 6 years total in Spain, and having been back from Brazil for 1 year.

As for your flippant crystal ball comment, Spain were seen as one of the favorites for the tournament and had been clearly on the rise.

You make it sound I am/Brazil are desperate to 'claim' Thiago, when it's the other way around. I only pointed the 'loyalty' issue that is being used to justify him playing for Spain to show it to be naive, given the comments he made about the club he is supposedly loyal to (that he wanted to triumph in football, and he didn't care where). Anyone who watches Brazilian football can tell that he plays like other young Brazilian midfielder with probably the minor difference that he has been told that he has to pass in triangles whenever he gets the ball now. That the call from Del Bosque comes immediately after there had been murmurs of him being called to represent Brazil is pretty telling really, or were there any other u-21 called for this friendly, or is it because of the 3 pre-season goals?.

The article from his dad where he says "he might get called up once or twice and never get called again" is probably a pretty good reason, considering Brazil have Ganso (21) who the team is being built around, Lucas (17) who is being slowly integrated into the young team, and with Coutinho (19), making it at least 3 attacking midfielders (two younger and with more first team experience) who are in the coaches plans, not to mention Kaka' once/if he gets over his injury and mention others like Jadson, Lucas Piazon, Adriyan, etc. Then of course, there are the defensive midfielders...

Sds.

7. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    ¿You can see I am passionate about this? Says the Brasilian on the Spanish forum trying desperately to convince everybody that a Spaniard shouldn't be playing for the Spanish team?

It's nice that you also know that he went back to Brasil after having trained for 5 years in Spain. You didn't really add anything by saying it again, but it's good to see you know it though. 10 years vs 6 years.

I am never more amazed by the people who after the fact say Spain was the favourite to win the EC, when a couple of months before that those very same people were probably the first to call Spain eternal chokers. :D

He's choosing the country he calls home, and has only played for his entire life. No Brasilian crying over it on a messageboard trying to make him seem unloyal or now trying to make it seem as if the reason of his choice is because he better chances to succeed in Spain when we have abundant choices for the midfield positions will change that.

8. Rivelino87

Rivelino87 Member

Aug 10, 2008
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Atletico Belo Horizonte
    It won't be the first time Spain convice/allow south American player for their national team (DiStefano, Senna, tried Messi, Rodrigo, now Thiago, et al), nothing new really. I was trying to be nice, calling it passion, to not point out that you sound like a rude schizo who wasn't taught how to conduct conversation (maleducado), and just correcting what you said. Pointing out the facts of his life is not "trying desperately". It's pathetic really that people on here who think that it is okay to be rude to others because it's "their" country's forum, or because they dislike an opinion.

He obviously has a better chance in Spain and playing for Barcelona. Your abundant midfield options all have 1 WC left (Xavi, Iniesta, Xabi Alonso, Fabregas maybe 2, and then the lower tier Borja Valero, Santi Cazorla etc). He is clearly the best prospect Spain have (above Sergi Roberto and Sergio Canales), and is already highly praised by the media there after a U-21 tournament and a few pre-season games, touted as the successor of Xavi, or the next Iniesta by Barca fans.

You can call him a Spaniard because of his citizenship status if you want, but he was born in Italy and is 100% Brazilian. Moving around, or getting a piece of paper won't change that, regardless of political correctness.

9. minuscapita

minuscapita Member

May 10, 2002
    Fremont, ca
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

What do you want us to do? he wants to play for spain.
    Do you want us not to play him because "he was born in Italy and is 100% Brazilian", I dont get it.
    How many years he played here or there is irrelevant. He has the spanish citizenship and its his choice and apparently he has decided, case closed.

10. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    What are you hoping to accomplish by continuously posting here? You can release as much frustration as you'd like but there's nothing any of us can do to change his decision.

Germany, France and Japan are other examples of countries that have "convinced/allowed" players to play for their national team.

11. Rivelino87

Rivelino87 Member

Aug 10, 2008
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Atletico Belo Horizonte
    To answer your question: I saw the topic, found it interesting, and posted. The same everyone does on internet forums. I was a bit surprised by Oscar's snippiness.

I'm certainly not frustrated by his decision, as Brazil have better and younger prospects than him (not to gloat), which his dad probably recognized advising him (the article points to it "he might only get called a couple times and then never again..."), it's just the "Blaugrana DNA" partyline from Gol Television, and the he grew up in Spain as the reason that I find a bit naive given his previous comments.

About the last paragrah: yeah, alot of European countries do it, and it's their right regardless of what some of the population thinks, afterall jobs are on the line.

Regards

12. minuscapita

minuscapita Member

May 10, 2002
    Fremont, ca
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    What are you, 5 years old? Wow, your really annoying.

13. SpaniardFC

SpaniardFC Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Vilagarcía de Arousa
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I don't really understand your point, you feel thiago is a traitor? He should try out for Brazil, even though you have far better players?

14. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    I have spanish parents, was born in France, and have lived in the US since I was 5 years old. Should I play for France then? I'm confused.

15. Rivelino87

Rivelino87 Member

Aug 10, 2008
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Atletico Belo Horizonte
    It's pretty clear if you reread the posts.

The point is that he is choosing Spain because he is an ambitious player who wants to be successful, and sees limited chances playing for Brazil, not because of loyalty. I expressed my opinion on the first post in this thread.

Minuscapita: no, I'm 24 years old, and I understand your irritation because reading is difficult for you, not knowing the difference between "you're" and "your" and all.

16. REALFOREVER

REALFOREVER Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Thiago is more Spanish than Brazilian. I like how you discount the years he spent in Spain as nothing. He spent 13 of his first 20 years thus far in Spain. He spent 4 years in Brazil and his first 3 years of his life in Italy.

This is not the same case as numerous other players who had little or no connection with the country they are representing.

Messi moved to Spain at age 11, why aren't you upset that he isn't playing for Spain. Take a hike you damn loony.

17. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Juanele I always knew you were one confused person being a Sevillista!! :D

18. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    . Thiago should only be selected for Brasil, though we don't want him because we have better talents in :insert random nobody: He's a traitor and disloyal, not that we would have selected him though. We don't....what, we can still take him to the seleçâo? Do it right now! Muahhaa, take that Spain! Take th...eh? False alarm?....never mind, we never wanted him to begin with.

- He only chooses Spain because he won't succeed in Brasil and in Spain it's much easier to do so, Cesc and Silva aren't benchsitters in the national team when the first 11 are healthy nor are Spain's youth teams taking titles left & right.

- 1+1 = 3

. "I'm not desperate about this, no you are. You are. You are." *next day* "You are!"

¿Did I end up in Bizarro world, or is this brasilian logic? :D

I think that makes you Swiss. :p

19. minuscapita

minuscapita Member

May 10, 2002
    Fremont, ca
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  20. SpaniardFC

SpaniardFC Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Vilagarcía de Arousa
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    What's this I hear about Raul possibly returning to the national team?

21. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    It means Raul's friends in the press have started their campaign.

More likely would be that Soldado gets called up.

22. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Villa's operation went succesful, he's estimated to return 4 to 5 months from now which will hopefully mean he will have played plenty of games before the World Cup starts.

23. Pyros

Pyros Member

Sep 6, 2009
    La Coruña
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Funniest shit I read all day :p

24. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I think Raul's form since going to Schalke deserves some kind of reward and assuming he doesn't go to the EUROs I'd like to see him be one of the three overage Sub-23 players at the London Olympics.

25. Pyros

Pyros Member

Sep 6, 2009
    La Coruña
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I'd have no problem with Raul returning to the national team now that Villa is injured and Torres is and has been a waste of space for quite some time. Him and Soldado up front would be nice.