Sources tell Chronicle a deal to send Brian Ching back to Dynamo is reached, pending league approval

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by truthandlife, Nov 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CLakeCracker

CLakeCracker Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Downtown
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Ching selected by Montreal in expansion draft

Clark Haptonstall did change his Twitter avatar to a dynamo ching jersey yesterday evening. It's the small things in life that put a smile on my face.

(For those who don't know Clark is Brian's publicist.)

2. t-wade

t-wade Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I am going to be pretty underwhelmed if bringing back Ching (even at a discounted salary) prevents us from making further (? more significant) moves to improve the squad.

I am pretty ambivalent about a one-year farewell tour and seeing Ching open the stadium. I am much more interested in seeing wins.

3. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

I have to agree. When it all comes down to it, the team has to show good results. If Ching can get us results then I'm all for it, because I respect Ching very much. But I'd hope that the FO would be more concerned about results for the fanbase then sentimentality. That said, Ching when healthy may still be one of the better target men in MLS.

4. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX

SO . . I can see you two are . . . but are people prepared for him not to reach a deal?

I just want to throw some reality out there. In the off-season thread, my budget calculations show us with about 175k left in cap space with Ching at 225k. What if he wants 300k? That leaves the team with two spots to fill and 100k of space (plus allocation). I am sure there is a level at which the team cannot go above. Can Brian give that much?

5. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston

i think we short-change Ching. from the start we've all said 2012 is his last year, but i can forsee him squeezing 2 more years out of that body (if he wants). aftr all, he is well-rested from a light duty 2011. :p

yup, Ching without any knees left and his "quickness" (notice the paranthesis) is still one of the best options on this current roster. even at $250,000. not sure if that says something about Ching or the other options on our team/league.

6. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX

@OrtizKicks

It would be nearly impossible to improve the team and add quality with remaining 2 spots if Ching doesn't take a pay cut in 200k range.

7. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston

Does that include any cap relief we would get from whatever we send out to get Ching back? Assuming we do send a player to Montreal.

8. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX

It probably does not - but my supposition has been, and remains it is a draft pick. I think Montreal could have grabbed a few of (Hunter, Cruz, etc) early on . . . but I don't see us trading anyone that remains. Even if we did, we would gain cap space but need to fill another senior spot so it wouldn't do us any good.

9. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I keep reading things that suggest we have Montreal backed into a corner with no leverage but I believe the opposite to be true right now.

First, Montreal can afford to carry Ching at $450K guaranteed. They don't want to, but they can do it. And I fully anticipate that they will ask for some extra value or pieces at the end of the negotiation AFTER we agree with Ching.

Second, there has been so much leaked about Ching negotiating with the Dynamo to come back that the public perception if this deal doesn't happen is that the FO turned down a guy willing to take a pay cut to come back to Houston. It doesn't matter that the details will likely be that Ching is making little to no sacrifice financially out of this and I'm sure his agent and the union will be pushing to make this a "no-cost" sacrifice.

And Ching's unofficial agent (Ortiz) will certainly be more than quick to get out his view of what the Dynamo FO should do.

Once all of this went public, it's almost incumbent that the deal closes since it's going to be very difficult for everyone to go back to where they were 5 days ago and pretend nothing happened. And other teams are going to complain about this big time if Ching comes back and gets $200K of his guaranteed salary moved off-budget when the rules really don't allow it (other than making him a DP to reduce his cap hit, everything else is allegedly against the CBA rules as we were told for the last two months). Anticipate other teams trying this soon.

As to the merits of having Ching on the roster at $250K or so? It has merit and certainly better than $450K. The specter of a Ching injury is always around the corner. But it still sort of landlocks our roster unless we have other moves to make with big salaries involved. Understand, bringing Ching back IS our last big move barring some unanticipated trades.

10. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX

I disagree. I think Houston and Montreal have terms essentially ironed out. It makes no sense for Ching to be granted a leave from the team to negotiate terms with Houston when HOU and MON can't work a deal out themselves. For instance, if they still want Hainault and Houston will not trade Hainault, then why would Ching be granted leave to negotiate terms?

I don't think either side allows the negotiations with Ching unless they have essentially come to an agreement.

11. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I just skimmed the post and looked for the words "Ashe" and either "sucks" or "awful" in the same sentence.

Bingo !!!!

12. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX

Agree. Sorry westside I have to place myself firmly in this camp. A deal is done pending Ching. I do agree the leak is a PR nightmare for the Dynamo if Brian doesn't accept their offer but as I showed they don't have a whole lot to give him.

13. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The wait is KILLING me.

I'm having visions that I am some kind of catholic priest waiting on St. Peter's square for the smoke to turn a different color, announcing that Brian Ching is now a Dynamo player.

Of course, I would expect the smoke to be Orange. Lots of orange smoke.

[​IMG]

Annuntio vobis gaudium magnum:
    Habemus Player!
    Eminentissimum ac Reverendissimum Dominum,
    Dominum Brian,
    Sanctae Romanae Ecclesiae Cardinalem Ching,
    qui sibi nomen imposuit No. 25.

("I announce to you a great joy:We have a Pope!The Most Eminent and Most Reverend Lord,Lord [forename],Cardinal of the Holy Roman Church [surname],who takes to himself the name [papal name].")

14. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There's something cool about that pic Hydro. But I am a softie for an MP-5 and lots of orange smoke, go figure.

Bring our Captain home Chris!

15. dynamo JZ

dynamo JZ Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

Via Mark Berman on twitter (and here is the article)..
    MLS sources say the Dynamo & the Impact are "very close" to an agreement that would send the rights to forward Brian Ching back to Houston.
    MLS sources say the Dynamo & Impact could have a deal to send the rights to Brian Ching back to Houston as early as Thursday.
    MLS sources reiterate any deal that would have Brian Ching return to Houston is contingent on the 2 sides reaching a deal on a new contract.

Not really sure how different that info is from before.. still have to agree to a restructured contract.

16. yossarin

yossarin Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

you missed the important part of the article.. the dynamo would lose no players and only lose a conditional draft pick

17. yossarin

yossarin Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

Ortiz:

18. dynamo JZ

dynamo JZ Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

Man, my reading comprehension skills are just a fail today. Sounds like it's pretty much done then?!

19. The_Ponce

The_Ponce Co-President of the United States of Dynamo

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I have my popcorn ready, and I'm ready to read all the complaining on Twitter about us getting special treatment.

[​IMG]

20. yossarin

yossarin Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

Ortiz:

21. RedAce

RedAce Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sadly we gave out a draft pick. Idk but shouldn't we value these draft picks?

22. Tigereye

Tigereye Member+

(ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Aug 19, 2005
    (ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

It's a conditional draft pick.

23. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX

So many of them don't work out well. The MLS Superdraft is still a crap-shot with third rounders being stars and first rounders falling out of the league. Remember we had an extra pick next year anyway. Dom has never relied heavily on the draft and if your not . . say top ten or twelve . . . it isn't that big of a loss.

In fact, we essentially gave up a conditional drat pick instead of a player AND gained (reportedly) several hundred thousand in budget room through this expansion draft process. Uhh . . .I say we win.

24. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX

All that means is the actual pick is conditional on either our finishing position or Brian's performance. So it is likely a second round pick that could be a first round if (for example) Brian scores 10 goals.

25. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

WOW, WOW, WOW!

I won't celebrate until I hear an official announcement. My heart has been broken soooo many times...

Happy belated Valentine's everybody!