News: Source: Frank Lampard will play for the Los Angeles Galaxy

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Fiosfan, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    You were proven to be horrifically wrong. Even your assertions about missing out on the World Cup were proven wrong....yet you continue to persist.

Welcome to the ignore list. Can't hope to ever have intelligent discussion with someone who moves the goal posts as much as you do.

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  2. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    I would say that the 2010 World Cup Qualifying tournament is pretty meaningful. He only played in 90% of those games.

And anyone speculating that he missed the World Cup because of playing for the Galaxy instead of the Achilles injury is for lack of a better word, stupid.

You're wrong. Its OK to admit it.

3. Etienne_72772

Etienne_72772 Member+

Oct 14, 1999
    Except, as someone already pointed out, it certainly appeared that he was all set to join England for WC 2010 except for that little injury he had - the Achilles tendon tear. (Which, by the way, is a horrible, horrible way to go down - I can speak from experience, I am now 9 weeks post surgery on my SECOND Achilles tear...)

4. NSmith22

NSmith22 Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry to hear that and cheers to a speedy recovery. I never downplayed the severity of his injury. It seems that I'm getting nowhere with attempting to explain my initial post. Obviously sarcasm must be noted in a forum but at the same token I'm completely surprised at the ignorance of the main topic here (Lampard) in order to attack someone with an opinion about the topic at hand. Beckham is clearly idolized by some of you and hey, if not for him the MLS wouldn't be where it is today without him in many respects. But wow I guess having any type of opinion must be backed up with a link from the all knowing internet in order to sound intelligent.

5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    World Cup Qualification isn't a meaningful tourney?

6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, we tend to think opinions are intelligent when they're back up with facts. We're kind of crazy that way. :rolleyes:

7. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    Well regardless of what you were trying to say, you made up horrifically inaccurate "facts" to back up your argument and then acted all incredulous when someone challenged you on it. You continued to persists, even in the face of irrefutable evidence, and then started to move the goalposts, from "no international career" to "didn't play in any important games" to "didn't play in any important tournaments".

Then you continue to call people "fanboys" and say that they idolize Beckham. I'm sure you are referring to me, and nothing could be farther from the truth. Its just another layer of douchy-ness on your part.

I just don't have patience for blatant ignorance, especially when that ignorance is backed up by self important condescending bullshit like "Do you even know who Beckham is?"

Even if your larger point was that Hodgson said Lampard's chances to play for England would be hurt by a move to MLS (which wasn't your real point), those exact comments were made about Beckham when he moved to MLS and they were proven wrong.

You were wrong. Suck it up and put on your big boy pants and admit it.

TheJoeGreene, AndyMead and SYoshonis repped this.
  8. NSmith22

NSmith22 Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you knew him what do you think he would answer to that? And that's the fact of the matter here if we're continuing to stray away from the main topic at hand. Do you think he was satisfied with playing in 9/10 qualifying matches, getting hurt and missing the 2010 WC, going on loan spells to AC Milan to specifically prove his worth with the NT, then getting snubbed for the Euro 2012? Anyone in their right mind would say no. And I guarantee that isn't how he wanted to end his international career. The main point I was trying to make but clearly I have to spell out for the maniacal Beckham fans is that Lampard has a decision to make and using Beckham's experiences as an example is clearly something he is going to do when making that final decision.

9. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Buh? You tried to use Beckham's experience to show that Lampard risks being left out of international competitions. Others pointed out that your exaggeration failed to support your point.

There may well be decent evidence that Lampard wouldn't get called up if he came to MLS, but the Beckham observation aint it. In fact, what happened to Beckham is pretty strong evidence that, despite Hodgson's threats, Lampard could play for England if he comes to MLS.

And for the record, personally, I think DB is a giant wang.

10. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beckham stopped getting call-ups because he was injured and then because he got old, not because of MLS. Lampard is 34 and still playing well. If he comes to MLS and after a couple of years stops getting called up, people like NSmith22 will probably cry out "see! MLS hurt his chances of getting called up!" ignoring that it's completely normal to stop getting caps in your mid-30s.

11. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    i imagine it had more to do with tearing an achilies and then getting old and slow than it did to do with joining MLS.

12. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    yes. i am sure lampard will look at dbecks experience and say to himself .... "i will try and avoid catastrophic injury right before a tournament and also try to reverse the ravages of time since as i get older i am likely going to be to old to play for the NT".

13. NSmith22

NSmith22 Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm quoting this just so it gets bumped lmao.

14. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    He may well look at Beckham's experience and wonder whether he'd need to play on loan in Europe during the MLS off-season to keep his form and fitness for England selection. And in the light of Beckham's issues with that, whether it would be a good thing for a player of his age to do.

15. looknohands

looknohands Member+

Apr 23, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Am I the only person that understood Hodgson's worries to be more about monitoring Lampard if he came to MLS, as opposed to MLS being a league that isn't "good enough?"

redinthemorning and wsmaugham repped this.
  16. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No.

17. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those who have lost track of the goalposts, here's a handy review of their fascinating journey.

"Beckham had no international career"
    "Beckham didn't play in important international games"
    "Beckham didn't play in important international tournaments"
    "Beckham wasn't satisfied with his international appearances"

Where, oh where will the traveling goalposts move next? Stay tuned to find out!

------RM

18. NSmith22

NSmith22 Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you're more interested in drama then staying on topic lol. Give it a rest buddy obviously your life outside of this board isn't interesting for you to attempt to continue the arguing. There was one comment that was meant to be sarcastic. You're loving every minute of this "excitement" clearly.

19. NSmith22

NSmith22 Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm, no Lampard and Arena saying today he has "hope" Landon might be back a couple months from now make the first part of LA's post Beckham era lagging in star power, for sure.

21. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006
    And it's not just LA.

22. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is nothing lamer than one side of an Internet argument accusing the other side of arguing too much.

------RM

Jasonma repped this.
  23. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expected more talent coming into MLS the last Jan window. The summer window isn't here yet but these past couple months have been worrying.

Players Who've Left
    Kamara-loan w/option to buy
    Najar-sold
    Espinoza-left on a free
    Montero-loan and looks permanent
    Shea-sold
    Valdes-loan
    Dawkins-back to EPL
    Beckham-to PSG

Then consider two young talent are probably gone after this year at the latest, Agudelo probably signing a pre-contract in July with a Euro club and Omar Gonzalez I'd think leaving this summer and he's spoken openly about wanting to go to Europe, didn't try it this past Jan so he could get into the NT camp, and most likely would be at Nuremberg if not for his ACL injury.

Lampard was the only big name coming in and that looks like it might not happen for a while. MLS lost a lot of talent and didn't bring any back. I'm a bit surprised by that, especially right after Beckham leaves.

This part of an article from a week ago talking about it. Will be interesting what the future holds. Is the hope MLS is just waiting until the summer window? More business to be had then but last summer wasn't particularly active at all for MLS:

http://www.ussoccerplayers.com/2013/02/major-league-soccers-january-economy.html

Major League Soccer's January transfer window experience might still have been decidedly one-sided, but it did give the League a valuable talking point. It's not just that foreign clubs want their players, it's that foreign clubs playing in well known top leagues want their players. That holds as much for the high profile free move of out of contract superstar David Beckham to Paris Saint-Germain as it does for the loans and transfers of established MLS talent.

Yes, this is still MLS in the European transfer market where they prefer payments than paying. There wasn't two-way traffic, and it's a winnable argument that the players leaving MLS in January make it a weaker league than it was in December. Though the one-sided treatment of transfers is certainly MLS business as usual, this January might finally send the clear message that the League needs to pay for players the same way foreign clubs pay them.

Then there's that nagging insistency on the part of MLS that the best incoming transfer is a free transfer. Robbie Keane's move from Spurs to Los Angeles is the high profile exception, but enough players have worked their ways out of existing deals in Europe to sign with MLS to suggest the rule. If the ideal is always free or as close to it as possible, an already small market becomes smaller.
    I don't see any MLS team using a designated player exemption and coming up with a way to pay someone the massive contract Drogba accepted along with the challenge of the Champions League. That's without considering a transfer fee.
    For a time, MLS had players doing what now look like Drogba parodies. It's an insistence that what you do will work eventually, and it's a disruptive style that creates a tension too many MLS games lack. If you're looking at a true designated player, you're looking for someone who makes an immediate and obvious difference along with raising profiles.
    Unfortunately for MLS in 2013, that's become a crowded marketplace. It's not just China and Australia, it's clubs in leagues that play in Europe's biggest competition. Where this leaves MLS in a January of selling and loans is the question as we move toward the start of the 2013 regular season.

triplet1 repped this.
  24. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's just fun to watch some loser twist in the wind after being shown how ignorant he is. It's even more fun to watch him try to weasel out of it by insulting others instead of manning up and admitting that he was 100% wrong.

Oh, and grownups recognize that playing the "get a life" card is the Internet version of wetting yourself and pretending that it's raining.

25. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006
    Really good stuff. I agree with you.

I posted this in another thread, but I believe here's the list of the DPs who were on MLS rosters in 2012 and have left the league for one reason or another:

David Beckham ($4,000,000), Julian de Guzman ($1,910,746), Fredy Montero ( $706,000), Branko Bošković ($528,978) , Rafael Márquez ($4,600,000), Shalrie Joseph ($554,333), Juan Pablo Ángel ($1,630,700), Federico Puppo ($100,000), Kris Boyd ($1,515,000), Hamdi Salihi ($487,460), Barry Robson ($596,500).

That's over $16 million worth of players.

Or, put another way, 16.7% of MLS payroll that just came off the books from departing DPs alone. And that’s assuming Donovan ($2,400,000) stays put.

And we're not counting the proceeds from the sales or loans here.

jond repped this.