Sounders v. Toronto FC 3/15/14 P/I/P

Discussion in 'Seattle Sounders FC' started by edwardgr, Mar 11, 2014.

1. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who: Seattle Sounders v. Toronto FC
    Where: Century Link Field
    When: Saturday, 3/15/14 01:30 pm
    Watch: NBCSN

So another Saturday another early start. The first question is do we continue building the Ark that was undoubtedly started in preparation for last weeks match? TFC is in town, and unlike years past they actually have a glimmer of hope, acquiring Michael Bradley and Jermain Defoe will do that I guess. Having the Reds in town probably means that Stefan will be wearing a different color this weekend any takers on what color he will be in this time? I say navy blue.

As for lineups still no status on Leo though I have not checked todays news so I will go with the following but y'all can chime in as well. Pretty much our standard 442 with Yedlin and perhaps Remick pushing forward

-----------------------------Martins------------------------------------Cooper---------------------
    --------------------------------------------------Dempsey-------------------------------------------
    -------------------------Pappa-----------------------------------------------Evans------------------
    --------------------------------------------------Alonso----------------------------------------------
    -----------Remick-------------------------------------------------------------------Yedlin----------
    --------------------------------------Traore------------------Marshall------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------------Frei--------------------------------------------------

And for the in the 18:
    Okoli
    Neagle
    Barrett
    Scott
    Gonzalez
    Hahnemann

Bold Predition:
    3-1 Good Guys

Goals from:
    Martins
    Dempsey
    Pappa
    Defoe

2. terrier

terrier Member

May 31, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I love these early games - I can actually watch them at a reasonable hour.

The joke's going to be on NBCSN and the league when Toronto holds out Bradley & Defoe.

3. Last Line of Defense

Jul 2, 2013
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Been looking forward to this game for awhile, and I actually don't have to work during it. Be interesting with all the pieces Toronto has put together. Story is the same though with their defense, below average. 3-2 Sounders, I see Dempsey getting a brace.

4. soundersFCfan

soundersFCfan Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was up with Martins in the KC game? He was barely visible. Was he drawing a lot of attention? Some are speculating that the lineup will be more of a 4-2-3-1 with Ozzie and Brad the 2. That would put Pappa, Dempsey and Cooper across the 3 and Martins up top? I don't see Cooper as a winger myself, maybe Neagle instead with Cooper on the bench. Confused.

5. guelch27

guelch27 Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Bremerton
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The goal happened because Oba drew the keeper and 2 or 3 defenders off their line to cover him. In regards to Cooper, anyone that has watched him play know that he likes to work out wide. He's not your typical 6'3" player playing the traditional number 9 role. He isn't so much about holding up play as you would expect just looking at him. He will most likely start.

6. soundersFCfan

soundersFCfan Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, this helps. I've not watched Cooper play much. Yeah, went back and looked at the goal - Oba is drawing a lot of attention, as should be expected. He'll have to work hard for his looks.

7. guelch27

guelch27 Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Bremerton
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He did have that one really good chance that the KC keeper just got enough of to knock it behind his foot a big. I'm sure the goals will come for him.

edwardgr repped this.
  8. Seaball

Seaball Member+

Oct 12, 2008
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Cooper's a forward that happens to play on the wing, kind of like Ronaldo.:D

While I don't want to suggest this will be an easy one, if I had to pick a time to play the almost completely remade Toronto team it would be their first game of the season. Hoping they need a game or two to get all the kinks worked out.

edwardgr, guelch27 and soundersFCfan repped this.
  9. soundersFCfan

soundersFCfan Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agreed

10. Kappa74

Kappa74 Member+

Feb 2, 2010
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I gotta say, I'm really looking forward to watching this revamped TFC. And truth be told, I'm pulling for them to do well this year. And though it would help the sounders out if both Bradley and Defoe didn't play, I would like to see both on the field this Saturday.

edwardgr repped this.
  11. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Alonso vs Bradley who will win.

edwardgr repped this.
  12. Last Line of Defense

Jul 2, 2013
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honey badger don't care. Alonso wins and Bradley stays injury free :)

13. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say Alonso, but only because he is more familiar with his other mid-fielders and central defenders. Bradley I think is the better of the two but will still be getting acclimated to his new team and may be limited in how agressive he can be.

14. Sashieden

Sashieden New Member

Jun 12, 2013
    Lynnwood, Washington
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I don't think Traore will start, I see Anibaba getting the nod.

15. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coming down with a cold and not interested in likely standing in the rain for four hours again, so I will likely catch this one from the comfort of my home.

16. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really hope it doesn't rain. The plan is for this game to be the first one for the kid and if it rains, that's out and I'm watching this one from home. :) This might actually work out because the kid is VERY noise sensitive and I might actually get to watch the game if I don't go to the game. In previous attempts to bring him to games he's lasted approximately 5 minutes, including with noise cancelling headphones on. He's been really wanting to go to a game for the last month, so I'm kinda hoping he's overcome the fear.

As for the game itself.. Dempsey has had a week to train with the team and is in much better fitness than them, so I'm really hoping he has an amazing game. I'm not sure about Toronto though. I've heard that Gilberto showed up at camp completely unprepared for the season (fat) and that Bradley and Defoe both have knocks.. Oh, and that Toronto sucked in the pre-season, but it is pre-season, so who believes that?

all in all. I'm expecting the Sounders to shred Toronto's poor defense and put Julio Cesar through his paces. Hopefully this results in a few goals for the good guys.

edwardgr repped this.
  17. guelch27

guelch27 Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Bremerton
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's kind of what I'm expecting as well Yoshou. I was glad to see after all those signings that we get to play them first, before they've really had a chance to build chemistry. I also can't believe they'd spend all that money at not spend any on their backline, which was obviously their weakest link.

18. Last Line of Defense

Jul 2, 2013
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think their defense is a concern for them, but they do have potential. Caldwell has leadership, Morrow is a good outside back, and you have to think some of those young guys will step it up like Gale, Henry, and Morgan. They just haven't looked good anytime I watch them though.

19. scott47a

scott47a Member+

Seattle Sounders FC; Arsenal FC
    Feb 6, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to predict 2-0 to the good guys. I don't believe TFC has answered any of their questions at the back. And if post-Beckham MLS has taught us anything it's that it takes quite a while for top-tier players to adjust and have impact in MLS.

guelch27 repped this.
  20. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yoshou, a great way to introduce him may be at a USOC, or reserves match. Garrett has the same issue so I have not yet taken him to a full Sounders match.

21. Hulk

Hulk Member

Jun 24, 2012
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    good goal by TFC.

22. Hulk

Hulk Member

Jun 24, 2012
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    lol. I'm not surprised Sounders were slow on that play. TFC just put a little pressure and bam 2-0 TFC.

23. Hulk

Hulk Member

Jun 24, 2012
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Evans injured again.

24. Dustinnotacop

Dustinnotacop Member

Jan 31, 2014
    it takes quite a while for top-tier players to adjust and have impact in MLS

it takes quite a while for top-tier players to adjust and have impact in MLS

25. terrier

terrier Member

May 31, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Terrible.