Sounders v. Sporting Kansas City 3/8/14 P/I/P

Discussion in 'Seattle Sounders FC' started by Seaball, Mar 3, 2014.

1. evan eleven

evan eleven Member

Jun 4, 2009
    California
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Sigi's 3 subs combine for the goal. maybe Sigi isn't so washed up as people were sayin'. and Frei gets a shutout in his first game. nice way to start the season... :)

2. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has everyone dried out? Despite being in the southend I managed to stay dry enough in the stadium, but once I had to walk back to the car I got soaked.

And once again I forgot why I bothered watching the first 85 minutes or so of a match against SKC :sleep:. We absolutely have to be in their head after this one.

3. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    At least jimmy Nielsen wasn't in goal for SKC. can you just picture it being the 5th time that happened to him if he was still playing.

4. Seaball

Seaball Member+

Oct 12, 2008
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    A)Nailed it.

B)Not the greatest game I've ever seen Seattle play, but 3 points against the reigning MLS Cup champs is nothing to complain about. The midfield was a killing zone. Sounders have to do a better job at beating the pressure there. They have the players to do it I think. Good to see Okoli get some minutes, he was actually very key to getting our goal. A little disappointed in Cooper and to a lesser extent Pappa who rarely seemed to get involved. Overall, not bad; not bad at all.

edit: and for the love of god, how does Collin never get a red card/second yellow?

5. guelch27

guelch27 Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Bremerton
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say that Cooper was more involved than Martins was. He hurried back to cover for Yedlin being slow to get back at times and was just more present in all aspects of the game than you would have ever seen from Johnson. He was the only one taking any real chances at the goal as well until after he came off. Sure he should have put that one shot across the face of goal so Neagle could do the easy tap in, but early season games are always a bit sloppy.

6. Kappa74

Kappa74 Member+

Feb 2, 2010
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Right, that was some damn frustrating soccer to behold. For some reason, it seemed that both teams were struggling with the wet pitch. So many passes on both sides of the ball were just a bit off. Really impressed with Marshall. Seemed his old dominate form was revived. Here's hoping that he can avoid any more knocks to the head and stay healthy this season.

7. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The ref show restraint on showing not showing that 2nd yellow. He also did the same for Alonso.

Regards to B) Its SKC its gonna be a very psychical match. Its so hard to get anything going if they keep fouling. Nevermind the rain didn't help. If Pineda was playing it could potentially be a better played match for seattle.

8. Kappa74

Kappa74 Member+

Feb 2, 2010
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Other than the LA-RSL match, I watched all the games yesterday and overall thought the replacement refs did a fine job. The only issue I had with the CR in our game was how he managed restarts and a couple advantage calls. Other than that, thought he was a rather good ref and wouldn't mind seeing him again.

9. Seaball

Seaball Member+

Oct 12, 2008
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Yeah, I watched most of the games. The refs were fine. My only worry if the lockout/strike continues is there will a lack of consistency across the league. One day you may get Kelly who will whistle everything and the next a ref lets just about everything go.

10. evan eleven

evan eleven Member

Jun 4, 2009
    California
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    does anybody have a list of all the Sounders names that were included in the tifo yesterday? i haven't seen a foto anywhere on the web that covered the full panorama. but i liked seein' the old A-League and USL Sounders get some love...

11. Mateofelipe

Mateofelipe Member+

Mar 10, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Sounders should market their own bbq sauce called KC Smash n' Grab. Not too worried about the lack of artistry. kc are a tough team to look good against. And the fighting attitude is definitely there.

12. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Might want to ask the ECS folks.

13. evan eleven

evan eleven Member

Jun 4, 2009
    California
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    okay nobody answered so i did a little research and figured it out myself. the names are:
    Daggett, Harry Redknapp, Alan Hinton, Jimmy Gabriel, Sir Bobby Moore, Sir Geoff Hurst, MVP Peter Ward, Mike England, Brand, Roger Davies, Webber, S. Jenkins, Brian Schmetzer, D. Jackson, LeToux, Levesque, Cam Weaver, Jason Farrell, S. Jenkins, T. Graham, Z. Scott, Hahnemann, MVP Baena, Chance Fry, F. Ljungberg, Keller, Montero, Gspurning, and Rosales.
    a couple of minor mistakes, it should be 'Daggatt' not 'Daggett', and one of those 'S. Jenkins' should be 'T. Jenkins' i think. i appreciate the history lesson, but one would hope they would proofread their stuff before they put it on a giant tifo... :whistling:

14. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. zielojo

zielojo Member

Jun 27, 2006
    Video/audio with post match reactions Chad Barrett, Sigi Schmid, Sporting's Peter Vermes and DeAndre Yedlin.

16. patrickwsu

patrickwsu Member

May 7, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I'm actually not 100 % sure if it was meant to be S. Jenkins or T. Jenkins. Scott Jenkins had 224 caps for the Sounders from the A-League and USL-1 days, more than even Zach Scott (so far). On the other hand, Tommy Jenkins might be considered a bigger international name (and I went to one of his soccer camps when he was coaching the SeaDogs)

evan eleven repped this.
  17. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There were two books labeled S. Jenkins. So it would seem one was typo. Apparently Jason Farrell got in touch with some of the ECS leadership to express his thanks. Ditto with Taylor whose mother apparently got choked up seeing him honored this way. Looking at the photos on the ecs site it was pretty darn impressive.

evan eleven repped this.
  18. soundersFCfan

soundersFCfan Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey - didn't see a PIP for TFC game yet so thought I'd post this question here: If Dempsey starts, will he be in withdrawn forward and have Evans move over and have Neagle sit? Or will he replace Cooper up front?

19. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My money is on Neagle sitting on the bench rather than Cooper.

20. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. JoeCelt

JoeCelt Member+

Jul 7, 2012