Sounders v. Colorado 4/26/14 (P/I/P)

Discussion in 'Seattle Sounders FC' started by Seaball, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Seaball

Seaball Member+

Oct 12, 2008
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Who: Seattle Sounders v. Colorado Rapids
    Where: Century Link Field, Seattle, WA
    When: Saturday, 4/26/14 1:00 pm
    Watch: Q13 Fox

The start of a game 3 game home swing. We've been rather poor at home thus far, so hopefully we're due for a change of fortune.
    I haven't seen any injury report this week, but I assume everyone is mostly healthy... so another reason for optimism.

2. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Lowe and Parsemain are out

3. Main Man

Main Man Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leo's out.

4. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    First home game I'll get to see this year, so hoping I'm the "good luck charm" (which would be ironic considering all the bad luck I've had this year!)

5. Last Line of Defense

Jul 2, 2013
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Need to get the 3 points from this fixture, especially since it is Colorado and at home. Think I read somewhere Colorado hasn't allowed a goal in the first half? Let's change that.

6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hasn't allowed or scored a goal in the first half this season.

7. Kappa74

Kappa74 Member+

Feb 2, 2010
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    From the Rapid's games I've watched, I think this will be the 2nd best defense the Sounders will have faced thus far. However, I do think they are somewhat suspect defending in the air. My recollection is that there have been several set piece and run-of-play crosses into the box where the attacker was remarkably unmarked by Colorado's defenders. However, this is no longer our modus of attack. I'm afraid we will be playing toward their strength (Insert tired Balboa quote here). Offensively, Colorado is not afraid to shoot from distance, and they have a few players that can really hammer it. Other than that, D. Brown is generally scary. Definitly need to keep him in check. Overall, I think this will be the best Colorado team the Sounders have faced.

8. JPN17

JPN17 Member

Aug 31, 2011
    Spokane, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Took all 46 minutes of the first half, but they did indeed get it. And then the floodgates opened in the second half. This offense is scary good. Defense is still a work in progress. Good victory. Hopefully they'll get a nice win streak going on the home pitch.

9. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Colorado looked rather dangerous for the first 20 minutes or so. We were pinned back and looked like we weren't really going to be able to get anything going. Then things started to change, from my place in GA it was really hard to see what that may have been we found more space, more possession, stopped giving away the ball in the midfield. Then for a while it seemed like it would be one of those matches where we would unlock the defense with regularity but never find the goal. Irwin appeared to be playing hot potato for a while but never got burned. Then he got dragged out by Deuce, and Lamar put home the rebound. Then a couple quick goals on the other side of halftime and the Clink was rockin. Not sure how they pulled theirs back it was kinda like the Broncos touchdown at the end of the 3rd, a little charity from the Seattle team ;). Amyhoo, if DC can get a win in the match that just kicked off we will catch FC Dallas. It is early but this team is starting to look special.

For as much as I love Leo, I think it is time to give Remick the chance to be the starter.

JasonMa repped this.
  10. Seaball

Seaball Member+

Oct 12, 2008
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Not to say the Sounders weren't trying after 3-0, but they were definitely in let's try shit mode. Much fun to watch.

11. JoeCelt

JoeCelt Member+

Jul 7, 2012
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    The best of Clint Dempsey against the Colorado Rapids

12. JoeCelt

JoeCelt Member+

Jul 7, 2012
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Seattle Sounders 4-1 Colorado Rapids | April 26, 2014

13. JoeCelt

JoeCelt Member+

Jul 7, 2012
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Live now - reserve match

14. Captain_Ski

Captain_Ski Member

Apr 1, 2012
    Bellingham
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Hmmm... Nice nice nice nice nice.
    Done.
    Could I find fault? yes. Do I want to disturb the memory of a game that was very very enjoyable to watch? Nah.
    I think I will just soak in this tub of happiness for a while.

15. Last Line of Defense

Jul 2, 2013
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another Dempsey POTW? I'm just assuming.

16. guelch27

guelch27 Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Bremerton
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see how they can give it to anybody else. He's the apex predator of the league at the moment.

17. Last Line of Defense

Jul 2, 2013
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Missed the Wed New York game. Bradley WP had a hat trick and scored on the Sat game. He will probably get it but I don't think anyone has been hotter than Dempsey for a bit now.

18. BlitzSpiele

BlitzSpiele Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Clint has made the most of that "nut punch" he delivered a couple of weeks ago.

1. Dempsey got rest and fitness during the hiatus.
    2. Sounders tweaked personnel, spacing and runs to make it work in the final third.
    3. Refs, league and opposing players got the message "enough is enough" with regard to persistent fouling of Clint.

The aftermath has been a joy to watch.

19. guelch27

guelch27 Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Bremerton
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forgot about him...guess he might end the streak. It's impressive when it takes four goals to make it so you're not certain Dempsey will get it again.

edwardgr repped this.