Sounders @ Portland 4/5/14 (P/I/P)

Discussion in 'Seattle Sounders FC' started by Seaball, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Seaball

Seaball Member+

Oct 12, 2008
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    #26 Seaball, Apr 6, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
    Our entire defense was hung out to try too many times. Midfield was very sloppy and disorganized. I'm not totally convinced it was due formation rather just bad play. Also, I wonder if Alonso's injury didn't slow him down a little. Anyways, that was fun game, glad I made the trip down there. Just wish we could stop shooting ourselves in the foot with terrible giveaways in our own half..every dame game.

2. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not quite sure I agree with this. Other than the spin from Nagbe it was most often a case of overlapping runs with no support. Yedlin was left on an island with two Timbers in attack to many times. This constant midfield procession is leaving us with 0 cohesion. We miss Evans for sure, but more than anything we miss having a cohesive unit. Pineda's give away was inexcusable, Anibaba's bend until you break defending was a joke. Frei does not seem capable of marshaling his defense. All in all poor defensive performance all around, but I would not say that Yedlin was overmatched. He got skinned once, and left alone far to often.

3. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Not as much exposed as the 4-3-3 Seattle tried to play yesterday. Its the amount of ground the players would have to cover. The two DM's would be helping provide assistance to the back line. With the 3 in front of them covering higher up in the midfield.

The issue with the 4-3-3 yesterday Ariza wasn't helping yedlin at all. With evans back and starting the 4-3-3 would look much better.

edwardgr repped this.
  4. evan eleven

evan eleven Member

Jun 4, 2009
    California
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    well, that was fun, Dempsey's two goals at the end were nice and left us feelin' positive with the result, but it sux givin' up 4 goals to Portland. the defensive midfield will be better with Evans and/or Rose back. Azira doesn't look very good and Pineda had (hopefully) an off day. unfortunately i was hopin' Anibaba would be an improvement over Traore but after his borderline-terrible performance it looks like we're stuck with Traore. i wonder if Leo Gonzalez has ever played centerback??? he's a great defender but he's lookin' mighty slow for a fullback these days. a Marshall-Gonzalez pairing might be worth a try...

5. Seaball

Seaball Member+

Oct 12, 2008
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I was thinking the same thing when they re-signed him in the offseason. Good defender with great positioning; seems like a natural fit. Maybe he isn't strong enough; I don't know. Although, now with Remick showing he is at least capable at LB, it might be worth a shot.

6. ppn512

ppn512 New Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    This was a thrilling game from an outsider(seattle or portland) POV.