Sounders @ Montreal Impact 3/22/14 (P/I/P)

Discussion in 'Seattle Sounders FC' started by Seaball, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Seaball

Seaball Member+

Oct 12, 2008
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Who: Seattle Sounders v. Impact de Montréal
    Where: Olympic Stadium, Montreal QC
    When: Saturday, 3/22/14 1:00 pm
    Watch: Q13 Fox

We've never beaten Montreal in MLS play or for that matter even gotten a draw. On the bright side, we're mostly healthy as far as I know. Evans and Leo questionable and Bowen likely out. That's not bad, although according to Sigi's interview Marshall may have picked up a slight injury.
    http://blogs.seattletimes.com/sound...ugh-start-stefans-freis-performance-and-more/
    Anyways, a point here would be great.

2. scott47a

scott47a Member+

Seattle Sounders FC; Arsenal FC
    Feb 6, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still waiting to hear Dempsey's fate. If he and Evans are both unavailable this might be a tough road.

Neemtree repped this.
  3. dmain

dmain Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the predicted temps/snow I doubt anybody that has a "knock" will play.

4. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    we'll have regular refs this saturday if the game is still on. ref union approved CBA

5. scott47a

scott47a Member+

Seattle Sounders FC; Arsenal FC
    Feb 6, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't this game indoors in the Big O? I think the only potential snow issue is can people drive to the stadium.

6. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes but apparently the big o had a strict zero accumulation policy last year. If there was snow on the roof they could not have events inside. This year they are apparently allowing up to 3cm. No indications how accumulation would affect an in progress event

7. guelch27

guelch27 Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Bremerton
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is a dome, but apparently the place has had issues before with significant amounts of snow.

8. dmain

dmain Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How did I miss that lol.

9. Neemtree

Neemtree Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Important to remember that both Marco Di Vaio and Andres Romero will be suspended for Saturday's game that should help even the playing field if we are missing Clint.

10. Seaball

Seaball Member+

Oct 12, 2008
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    According to Alan Hinton, Dempsey didn't travel to Montreal so I would assume a suspension is looming. How Alan knows this, I have no idea.

11. soundersFCfan

soundersFCfan Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, does Neagle play regardless of Clint's status? I'd thought he was going to sit in favor Cooper based on the last game thread but he started and Cooper came off the bench. What about the Remick/Leo decision? Does Remick hold the spot?

12. Seaball

Seaball Member+

Oct 12, 2008
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Well it's official, Dempsey out for the next 2 games. Apparently any violent conduct is minimum 2 games. Don't really disagree with the suspension, but it pisses me off that Jackson gets to walk away whistling after a handful of dirty and dangerous tackles. I don't even think he even got a yellow card.
    I'd be willing to be it Leo is deemed fit he plays and I really wouldn't mind seeing Evans on the right in place of Neagle if he's fit.

13. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Game postpone to 1pm sunday

14. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Game is now on JoeTV

15. soundersFCfan

soundersFCfan Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who travelled? Do we know?

16. soundersFCfan

soundersFCfan Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Clint's the most fouled player per 90 minutes in the MLS. 6 fouls against just by Toronto last week.

We shouldn't have to do what I'm about to suggest if the refs just called it clean: maybe we need a Clint 'protector' - the equivalent in the NHL of the goon - someone we don't mind getting the occasional yellow accumulations. Said protector's job is to make it be known leaguewide, through various subtle (whispering in the offenders ear some not so kind comments), and possibly unsubtle (chest bumps, getting up in the offender's face, smack talk) mean that if you mess with Clint, you get paid back by the protector. Personally, I think it should be Leo Gonzalez because I think he's got that Latin anger thing ;)and also we don't really need him since we've got Remick :p. It could be the occasionaly Honey Badger - but that's going to happen anyway. Clint doesn't help himself, though, he's a chippy dude.

17. Seaball

Seaball Member+

Oct 12, 2008
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    So it looks we're rolling out the 4-3-3. No pappa or Evans in the starting xi.

18. terrier

terrier Member

May 31, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I'll take that first half.

Seaball repped this.
  19. terrier

terrier Member

May 31, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    And that second half.

Seaball repped this.
  20. Hulk

Hulk Member

Jun 24, 2012
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    I'd prefer Pineda over Dempsey any day. Sounders look way better offensively without him.

21. Seaball

Seaball Member+

Oct 12, 2008
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I agree Pineda has acquitted himself well in the last 2 games. Excellent signing from the Sounders, but c'mon now. Dempsey's technical skill is still, for lack of a better term, elite in MLS.

Edit: Also, we were clearly playing for the counter all game. Great call by Sigi considering DiVaio was out and Montreal clearly showed today they don't have any other good striker. This suited Pineda well, but if we want to take the initiative and attack, we need Deuce.

dmain repped this.
  22. Seaball

Seaball Member+

Oct 12, 2008
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    And I thought Sigi nailed it today. Drop deep and dare Montreal to beat us from the wing. It worked other than a couple scrambles in the box. To be fair though, that was absolutely, at least to me, a penalty on Traore bowling over Felipe.

But our counter attacks were lethal today. Martins was fantastic, just great touch on the ball and unlucky not to have a brace.

23. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Neagle and Martins seem to play well together. Last year they were very effective when up front together and today connected well on at least one play.

24. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The slight push was outside the box and the player went down a bit easy. At most imo it was foul outside the box.

25. Felipao82

Felipao82 Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    They are not even the same kind of midfielder. Pineda is more of a CDM with enough skill to act as a deep lying playmaker. Dempsey is a hybrid between a CAM and a 2nd striker. Their skill set, their positioning on the field, and their defensive responsibilities are completely different, so it's not a one or the other question. Dempsey would have never played midfield on today's 4-3-3. This adjustment was made by Sigi due to the circumstances, which btw, I'm very happy he did since one of the things I hate about him is that he doesn't do it enough.