"Solo me acomodé": The Other Teams Thread

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by os_mutante, Jan 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Reading on Olé, it was fairly close, and yes the extended award appears to have helped Ronaldo.

En la votación final, sacó el 27,99% de los votos, apenas por encima del rosarino (24,72%) y el francés del Bayern Munich (23,36%).

2. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #27 jfcule, Jan 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
    [​IMG]

Won by only 3%? Of course the extension was key.

Plus, there are rumors that the Qatar coach is saying FIFA pressured him to change his vote to Crissy.

ShortyMac, SupaMario and unclesox repped this.
  3. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Hard to compare these guys on stats alone:

[​IMG]

Umar repped this.
  4. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    That chart doesn't include trophies won

inswinger repped this.
  5. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Ronaldo was top scorer of the UCL. And if you look at calendar year stats, well ... goals which is how most may rate Messi x Ronaldo, Ronaldo had the edge. Obviously it's mainly due to Messi's injuries. He may have gotten some sympathy votes considering he has been second fiddle to Messi in this award. Otherwise like you said, nobody was really far ahead this year and whichever player took the award is OK in my book.

What I find funny is Ronaldo's complete 180 on his feelings towards the award:

(Nov) I am not going to the ceremony >>> (Nov) I don't care about the award, titles are important >>> Voting Extended >> (Dec) I will attend the ceremony >>> Cries uncontrollably after winning, can barely speak, special video up on his social media accounts minutes after he won thanking his fans

:ROFLMAO:

inswinger repped this.
  6. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha, true.

7. LondonCule

LondonCule Member

Apr 20, 2008
    Ronaldo was a worthy winner guys, lets just move on. Ribery has a case and Leo did well as well but in the end I would have given the edge to Cristiano. Mind you he said he forgot who else he should thank at the end of the speech, how about you thank Leo's hamstring :p

MavadoDribblez repped this.
  8. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Ronaldo winning means Portugal won't win the WC this year. History has made it so. Voila, the curse of the Ballon D'Or:

[​IMG]

And if you're curious about who voted for whom, here's the complete list of votes:
    http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/bal...2/26/02/68/fboaward_menplayer2013_neutral.pdf

Messi (captain ARG): 1. Iniesta, 2. Xavi, 3. Neymar
    Ronaldo (captain POR): 1. Falcao, 2. Bale, 3. Ozil

Looks like Ribery was a clear winner among voters from the media. Captains and coaches tended to go more for Messi and CR7.

ShortyMac repped this.
  9. puyol

puyol Member+

FC Barcelona
    Dec 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  10. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The problem for football fans is the fact FIFA extended the poll in favor of one player. So the winner was pretty much announced after that play off. If Ronaldo wins it without that blatant help, that would be looks more credible.

11. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Now I wanna see Real Madrid or ROnaldo fans crying over the fact Balon D'or winner did NOT win a single thropy.

Lionel Messi: “I was out for a long time. Cristiano Ronaldo had a great year and deserves the Ballon d'Or I must congratulate Cristiano. I can't complain. I couldn't win but being here was the prize.

12. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I think Ronaldo / Portugal have much bigger road blocks to lift the trophy other than a jinx ... in other words, they were never going to win it. :ROFLMAO:

With that being said, now that you pointed it out, I really would have liked to see Messi win it this year. ;)

MavadoDribblez and Rattlehead repped this.
  13. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If Messi aint winning it, its still going to be the German, Spain or Brazil. Just being realistic. Portugal has no winning tradition in WC. Spain won Euro twice prior to 2010.

14. puyol

puyol Member+

FC Barcelona
    Dec 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  15. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    So Greece could win the WC but Portugal can't? Do you seriously believe in that winning tradition stuff? At one point Brazil and Germany didn't have winning traditions either. Until they won.

I kind of hope Portugal do well because if they win the matches that they should win, they'll be in-line to play Messi & Argentina in the quarterfinals. :unsure::thumbsup:

16. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, Cristiano has said he does not care about the award in the past, but now he is saying he wants to win a 3rd.

http://www.fifa.com/ballondor/news/newsid=2260752/index.html?intcmp=newsreader_news_box_1

He doesn't care about it, but yet he cares enough to cry when he does win it? :ROFLMAO:. He clearly feels like he has a chip on his shoulder, and wants to get out of the shadow of Messi, which is pretty sad. He is a fantastic player, and it's really a shame he cares this much about individualistic awards.

17. barcabob1899

barcabob1899 Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    This is what I said in the last thread. His only achievement was his goal scoring in the CL and a couple good classicos. Literally nothing else

18. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Well, there was the 2 games against Sweden too. Also he was the top scorer in La Liga in 2013. That's not really saying much since the next 3 best scorers missed a big chunk of games, but since the Ballon d'Or has basically become a La Liga award it still gets noticed....

19. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not sure who exactly deserved it more but it is a bit weird that Barca not Bayern had more players on the Fifa Pro 11 squad, 4 vs. 3, followed by 2 each for Real and PSG. Not a single EPL player, not a single Serie A player, not a single BvB Dortmund player. Whatever, crazy popularity contest.

"The 2013 FIFA/FIFPro World XI was announced Monday in the Ballon d’Or Gala, and it was dominated by Barça players. Four players made the cut: Dani Alves, Xavi Hernández, Andrés Iniesta and Lionel Messi. Bayern Munich, who won almost everything this year, had only three players included: Manuel Neuer, Philip Lahm and Franck Ribéry. While Paris Saint-Germain featured Thiago Silva and the Puskas award winner Zlatan Ibrahimovic, and Real Madrid had Sergio Ramos and Ballon d’Or winner Cristiano Ronaldo. All the selected players attended, except Andrés Iniesta who was recovering from that knock he suffered at the Vicente Calderón." Totalbarca

FWIW here's a much more well rounded top 11 (plus 2nd 11) squad, though admittedly it is just for the 2012-13 season so it doesn't include this past fall (but then what has Alves, Xavi or Iniesta done this Fall that they did not do last season). This one has 2 Serie A players, a BvB Dortmund player, an EPL player, and rightly has 4 Bayern players to only 2 Barca players, plus 2 Juventus, 1 Chelsea, 1 BvB, and 1 Real. That's about right and certainly more well rounded. The 2nd 11 has 4 more teams represented (Atletico, Leverkeusen, PSG (2), and Tottenham) and includes 3 more Bayern players, 1 more Barca, 1 more Juventus, and 1 more BvB. http://www.zonalmarking.net/2013/06/12/european-team-of-the-season-201213/

Dhajj repped this.
  20. barcabob1899

barcabob1899 Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    That one is a lot better. Only change in the starting XI would be Ribery for Mata.

21. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Third-division Racing Santander defeats Almeria in the CdR. :eek:

Atleti now leads Valencia 2-1 on aggregate after Godin scores.

22. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, did not realized Santander went from La Liga (for a remarkable 10 years straight) to Segunda to the third division in consecutive seasons. Nice upset for them but probably more of a gift for whoever wins the Sociedad v. Villarreal 2nd leg, winner then plays Barca or the Levante v. Rayo winner.

Not to count "chickens before they hatch" but Barca has a pretty nice path to the final this year and hopefully can get more squad players and even Barca B players on the pitch in these games, especially if we can get a commanding lead in the first legs.

23. MavadoDribblez

MavadoDribblez Member+

Feb 7, 2008
    Ontario
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    At least with Tata in charge, there is a chance that we play more squad/Barca B players in the Copa. Pep in particular played insanely strong teams no matter the first leg result (and I believe at least 5 first teamers must be named in each starting 11). That led to the burnout of the players. I for one, don't think Messi should feature in this competition unless we get to the semis. Getting Messi to agree to that is another matter :p

24. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    I'm pretty sure he scored a few goals/assists in La Liga and carried a Portugal to the World Cup after a freakishly disastrous qualifying campaign.

25. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Why Portugal even needed a playoff? like he didnt play in qualifier and only came as savior in playoff? the logic is simple, the reason why he and his team even needed a playoff is because they have medicore performance in qualifier. Messi scored 10 goals in qualifier, Argentina is no.1 so they dont need those 2 extra matches which in fact helping Ronaldo to win the award after FIFA extended the poll date.

CR fans also cried in 2011 when Messi won it because they wanted Iniesta or Xavi to win it by saying those 2 players won the WC. Now Ronaldo did not win a single thropy, only CL top scorer and his fans said its individual achievement that really matter.

unclesox repped this.