Sochi Olympics: You're Doing it Wrong [R]

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Crimen y Castigo, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quite enjoyed our London Olympic thread. So let's do it again, shan't we?

And what better way to kick it off by saying:
    "Screw You, Putin!"
    So, you don't dig the gays so much? Well then have some of this! -- The most hideous opening ceremony outfits this side of your grandma's attic!

[​IMG]

Where's you're traditional-family god, now?

ratdog and American Brummie repped this.
  2. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Sorry, but that looks like what happens when you let heterosexuals get involved in fashion design.

3. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3 Crimen y Castigo, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
    OK... their pictograms are a bit cutesy, but are actually quite dynamic and clear.
    They are in complete harmony with the official Sochi 14 logo -- plus they look good in the official "patchwork quilt" motifs.

Point: 'phobes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ismitje repped this.
  4. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Medals.
    [​IMG]

Not bad.

raza_rebel repped this.
  5. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Torch relay, however: Disastrous.

"It was bad enough when the Olympic flame went out and had to be relit with a disposable lighter rather than the official backup flame, and even worse when a torchbearer managed somehow to set himself on fire in the Siberian city of Abakan.

But perhaps the low point in what has seemed less like an Olympic torch relay than an exercise in ineptitude and misfortune came earlier this week when one of the runners carrying the torch to the Sochi Games had a fatal heart attack while attempting to walk his allotted distance, about 218 yards.

For example, despite numerous reports and video evidence suggesting that the flame has died out perhaps as many as four dozen times, eight in the first six days of the relay, the official line is that it has stopped burning only something like three times so far, Mr. Osin said. And only once, he stressed in an interview, had it been relit by someone’s lighter.

“It was just a gust of wind,” he said of the incident, which took place in the Kremlin grounds, on the second leg of the 14,000-leg relay. “The torchbearer who was running was absolutely terrified and didn’t know what to do, and he asked the guard to help him, and the guard” — here he paused — “helped, with the only device he had.”

It is unclear what happened to the guard.

Russia’s torches were manufactured in Siberia at a reported cost of $6.4 million by KrasMash, which usually makes submarine-launched ballistic missiles...

“Any normal person will have at least a few questions,” Mikhail Starshinov, a member of Russia’s parliament, was quoted saying in October by The Moscow Times, in an article titled “Veteran Bobsledder Set Alight by Faulty Olympic Torch.” “Why were 16,000 produced? How much does each torch cost, and is this price appropriate? And finally, why don’t they work?”

6. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    C'mon, it's not like it doesn't get any worse.....
    [​IMG]

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  7. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I like German fashion design better when you guys were all into this...

[​IMG]

bigredfutbol, dapip, Anthony and 4 others repped this.
  8. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Why is the name of the sport in English? Seems it would make more sense to have everything in the language of the host nation, or Greek for the original Games.

9. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
  10. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    French and English are the two official languages of the Olympic games. Usually each games also adds a third official language, that of the home country. I can see why they wouldn't use Russian for the medals, but I'm having a harder time trying to figure out why they choose English over French.

11. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because Jesus speaks English that is why.

'Merica.

12. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

I remember when those cameras (the two in the middle look like second-gen Nikon Fs with motor drives) cost a fair bundle used at KEH in ATL. Actually, the cameras themselves weren't all that pricey, but the drives were stupid expensive. And this was just before autofocus and digital came in and ruined everything. I was so proud of my 35mm gear. Three bodies, seven great lenses (NO zooms). Replacing them would have been astronomical, so I sold it all and found another hobby.

French? With all the Spanish-speaking nations on the planet?

I can't. What am I missing?

Probably the overinfluence of the US. That's my best guess.

13. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The IOC was founded by a Frenchman in Switzerland. Guess if you get to create the thing you get to choose what language people use during official proceedings. Not quite sure why English is, actually.
    Just that it was decided to use an official language of the Olympics, not of the host country.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  14. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    These are the pants the Norwegian Mens' Curlers will be wearing (with red polo shirts)

normal_BC0101_0707.jpg

Apparently the pants have their own facebook page. Not the team, mind you, the pants. That's why I don't do FB....

15. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Damn. Wish I had the psilocybin concession at the curling venue.

bigredfutbol and Moishe repped this.
  16. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree to disagree.
    That has to be the best argument for Facebook ever put forth.

luftmensch and taosjohn repped this.
  17. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    #17 JG, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
    The IOC was headquartered in Paris for the first twenty years...moved to Lausanne in 1915. Looking through the old Olympic charters (http://www.olympic.org/olympic-charters?tab=1) English isn't mentioned as a co-official language until 1949, so perhaps it was added in conjunction with the 1948 London Olympics. Until 1990 the charter requred that IOC members be able to speak French or English.

18. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    "The scrubbing gasoline slick bubbles... they work hard, so you don't have toooooooooo"

19. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    At least they're not made in China.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  20. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I don't care what they are wearing. They are hot. Even the guys. Are those actual athletes or models?

luftmensch repped this.
  21. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Athletes. Monique Angermüller (ice speed skating) and Christina Manhard (ski cross).

[​IMG]

22. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Every time I see German women in photos they are hot. Then I was in Berlin this autumn and my goodness not. Am confused.

Also, it's funny how the Nordic sports get the Nordic looking athletes. Most Germans do not look like they belong on the Swedish bikini team. Heck, most Swedish women don't either.

I rather like those outfits too. Not sure about the pants, but the jackets are great.

23. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, if I was scouting for girls I surely would not go to Berlin. Or East Germany in general. But that's maybe a dialect thing.

I also dont see any reason in exposing the hot ones to visiting Americans. Lol we learned our lesson with Jones, F. Johnson etc.

24. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I should have visited Munich instead, you're saying.

25. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about these opening ceremony outfits, but the other day I was in Sports Authority and saw some pretty sweet hoodies and jackets with the olympic logo on them. not sure who/when will be wearing them, but they were sweet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]