Sochaux The World: The Davies Saga 3

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Lloyd Heilbrunn, May 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Sochaux Sad: The Davies Saga 3

Maybe you are Nostradamus, personally, I have no idea what his contract says, even less what happened the night of the accident. Lawsuits may sound like your idea of a good time, I dunno. A number of professional athletes have had to return money to their club for a variety of reasons.

There are people on these boards who vigorously defend each of Charlie's actions that evening. There are others who suggest that mistakes may have been made. Certainly, someone died and really that is a huge shame.

If under these circumstances, you truly believe, it is best to go public and attack your employer, when they have stood by you, you may wish to examine your own thinking. That is the context of the conversation.

http://www.goenglish.com/peoplewholiveinglasshousesshouldnotthrowstones.asp

2. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This.

Bradley knows what a healthy, match-fit Davies could offer but called Robbie Findley into camp instead. So either Bradley is so stupid that he can't use Velcro or he had very good reason to think that Davies wouldn't be ready by the time the World Cup started.

Either the coach of the national team shot himself in the foot for no good reason on something that has nothing to do with his alleged weaknesses (tactics, substitutions) and that wouldn't have hurt him personally in any way to do otherwise (other than Sochaux's president, who would have criticized him for bringing in Davies to give him a look?) or Charlie Davies' dad might be a little biased toward his son.

3. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It might be a stretch to say he'll even be ready for the start of the French league. A year out is not unreasonable considering the extent of his injuries.

4. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I wonder why his trainers and rehab people held out the hope of a WC to him if it was predetermined in so many people's minds that it was impossible.

I mean,I know why,it's clearly what CD wanted to hear.As somebody who has worked in rehab and habilitation ,I've done he same thing myself.Sometimes it's only way you can get someone motivated initially in a process.

Still I always feel bad knowing at some point I might have to introduce the person to the realities of the situation.

Reality at this stage has not been delivered to Charlie it seems.

1 person likes this.
  5. FMF 1

FMF 1 New Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

I will add because it seems a shame to let such a good thread go with out some input:D I think Russ is spot on. I imagine the following... (cause thats what we like to do right)

Soch - BB wft happened to our stricker?
    BB - Ah he was in an auto accident...but it wasn't our fault since he didn't get hurt in training.
    Soch - Well wth are we supposed to do now?
    BB - Well... here is the trick. CD is like wolverine so you have to do what we are going to do...trick him. We are going to get him going into rehab full bore by teling him he needs to get back into shape for the WC.
    Soch - Will that work?
    BB - Sure, the rehab guys say they do it all the time, works like a charm.
    Soch - OK... but will he make it back this season?
    BB - No way, but he doesn't know that.
    Soch - Whats gonna happen when he finds out?
    BB - He will be pissed, but that will be good because he will try that much harder just to prove us wrong.
    Soch - BB you are sneaky SOB!
    BB - Yes, I know. I have fooled many with my track suits and robotic demeanor.

1 person likes this.
  6. BS49

BS49 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Drinking a beer
    Club:
    CF Atlas Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  7. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999

:confused:

It seems to me that Charlie has refused to accept the reality that was delivered to him!

8. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Depends on when and how it's delivered.If the rehab guys were encouraging (and they have to be),it's a hard fall to hear that you failed your primary objective.

9. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He needed the motivation. Imagine where he'd be if Bob told him in no last October.

10. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United

I read the article and thought that it was a it was a bit too criticle of Charlie. He put his heart and soul into his rehab. and up until the last moment thought he had a shot. Based on everything that transpired I can understand why he was so upset. He's a very competetive person. I think that once he has a chance to sit back and evaluate his situation he will be the better for it.

I believe the decision to leave him off the roster was correct, but I also think his club, especially the club president, should have done a better job communicating with him.

1 person likes this.
  11. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hence the second part of my post.

12. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

The whole "Davies must shut up" line is obviously coming out of Bradley's camp because there's a divergence between the player's line and the US.

BTW, if Sochaux really doubted about Charlie's ability to be useful, they would have never cleared him for the full-team practices. He would have kept on working with the rehab boys or sent back to Capreton.

Sort of like his ex-Capbreton partner :
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/788813/ce/uk/?cc=5901&ver=us

13. Grumpy in LA

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Obviously?

14. tambo

tambo Member

Jun 9, 2007

OK, got it, dude. Bob Bradley is an asshole, incompetent, thoughtless, mean, idiotic, clueless and dishonest. Charlie Davies was in shape to perform on the international stage. Good deal. Got it. Now we can move on and pay attention to the World Cup.

PLEASE.

15. Grumpy in LA

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not until our incompetent asshole coach admits that he's never understood the offside rule and that since February he's been flying to France to secretly whack Charlie Davies' knees with a hammer while Davies is asleep.

16. soccerdisciple

Mar 8, 2004

Wow, that is beyond mental health help. You must have some psycho man-crush for Davis.

17. Grumpy in LA

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Um. Dude. "Verbal irony."

18. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Obviously, Davies should continue to talk until everyone gives him exactly what he wants and people admit that he is like Michael Essien.
    :confused:
    Anyone can see that, right?:p

19. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Grumpy, not entirely certain, but I suspect there was a touch of paradox in his post, also.

20. Grumpy in LA

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, really, I was just pointing out that I was being ironic in the post that he quoted.

Still, he did nail me on my pscyho man-crush on Davis. I love that dude. Not that my feelings for the sweet-tempered, ever-constructive Al Davis* have anything to do with my feelings about Charlie Davies.

-----
    *--Ed. Note: This is another example of verbal irony.

21. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ya know, Grumpy, think about it. This entire so called controversy may have just been some sort of verbal irony. I can't believe I fell for it.:rolleyes:

22. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

Obviously.

A regular fact seeking journalist - which excludes a majority of the US boot licking soccer media - loves players that talk.

It's the coaches that hate them.

When the "Davies must be quiet" stuff appears in print, it's public dissemination of propaganda via trusted channels.

In politics, it's called "leaking".

The Red Bulls did it to Altidore via Galarcep.

Now Bradley is doing it to Davies.

No more tweets, muchacho.

We'll know what happened after Harkes admits to shagging Wynalda's wife.

It only took 12 years for that to come out.

Thanks, US journos.

23. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005

What's interesting is the fans play right along with it and try to shut up the other fans. Welcome to the small time.

24. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

If you compare this with the NFL, all Goodell wants is to prohibit tweeting during the live matches (this carries a fine).

But otherwise NFL has no anti-tweeting policy (they don't even have one against showering online).

For Bradley to tell Davies to quit tweeting and for his lackeys in the media to actually go along with it is absurd and bizarre.

25. Grumpy in LA

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Or it happens that there are a number of journalists who think that Davies wasn't selected and should probably be quiet about it at this point because anything he says will just hurt him with his club and create a distraction for the national team.

I actually agree with that. I think Davies has the right to say whatever he wants, but I think it would be better for him and for the NT for him to put a lid on it for a while.

And weren't you the guy saying that Donovan should've avoided saying hugely controversial things like Manchester United has a long season and Wayne Rooney is probably tired from playing a lot of games (something, btw, that Ferguson says too) because it's possible that they could be taken out of context and create a distraction? If innocuous comments like that are a bad idea, how is it "absurd" or "bizarre" that Bradley would caution Davies against talking too much?

As far as I know, Bradley didn't say that Davies should stop tweeting or talking to the press. All I know is that he says that he told Davies--months ago--that Davies might be better off not spending as much time telling everybody how much progress he was making because he might be creating unrealistic expectations and setting himself up for disappointment.

And let's not forget that a lot of European clubs aren't big on full disclosure. Altidore can probably give you a good explanation of Hull's tweeting policy. Frankly, I think Brown overreacted to Altidore's tweet, but Altidore, Davies, and the rest do need to be aware of their teams' expectations. And, fair or not, Sochaux probably expects its players not to call out the club president in the press. (Even if he may deserve it.)