Sochaux The World: The Davies Saga 3

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Lloyd Heilbrunn, May 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Sochaux Sad: The Davies Saga 3

First, your "bleeding hearts" comment has clear political overtones and you can either feel free to keep that kind of rhetoric to yourself or make all the commentary you'd like over on the politics board. Not appropriate here.

Second, you've made your point re: responsibility. We've tried to avoid rehashing that debate in YA Charlie threads, and I don't see a reason for everyone to begin restating their entrenched positions now.

2. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Some old saying about glass houses is popping in to my head.

3. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005

Charlie just needs to accept that this one is done. He did a great job rehabbing but he isn't game fit. I guess the only other way is if someone wants to give up their spot and that won't happen. Even though some of these guys have no shot at making the final roster they were picked and that is a nice honor.

He is still young and has mathmatically 2 other World Cups to play in, Gold Cups, etc. I know the latter isn't the same though.

I think the media is even more disapointed. It really would have been a good story if he played. You know how the media is.

4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009

Here's hoping Davies starts off the season brillantly like the last and goes on to be a top scorer for Sochaux and among the top scorers of Ligue One? Isn't the current top scorer for Sochaux on just a few goals so that wouldn't be too hard for him.

5. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

he has.

Bobby Zamora would have been flunked by any medical stuff that didn't want him to play in the Europa League final.

But he did play and, despite being hobbled and eventually substituted, was more effective in his target striker role than a perfectly healthy Clint Dempsey.

Roy Hodgson accepted a part-time player because that was still better than his other options.

I am sure if Roy had a world-class target striker sitting on the bench - and I don't mean Brian Ching - Bobby would have headed for much needed surgery long ago.

So, Roy went one way. Bob went the other.

With similar options ... or lack thereof.

6. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

How ready is Davies compared with Zamora? You don't know, do you?

different injures must be considered differently

Did Bobby smash the lower half of his body into bits last October?

Lots of injured players play, lots don't.

1 person likes this.
  7. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

Well, let's see : Bobby's scheduled for an immediate surgery.

Charlie works and runs without pain.

So, yes, we do know.

Charlie is a lot healthier than Bobby.

Insinuating otherwise won't fly.

8. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ok.. That settles that. Good thing it was so easy

Thanks doc

9. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

Yes, it was easy, wasn't it?

Nothing like common sense.

10. Mike in NYC

Mike in NYC New Member

Apr 20, 2006
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think there will be a lot of dust settling over the next few weeks. More will come out, and it may turn out that he was not fit enough, or - the opposite end of the spectrum - he was screwed by Sochaux.

Until we know more, I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt to CD not being fit enough, and BB doing what's best for the team. I don't think we have any real evidence otherwise.

If it turns out that he could have been fit, was not given an opportunity to play, and could have come on as a sub to score a needed goal, I'll be as outraged as anyone.

The fact is, we really don't know the details at this point.

11. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. DC_United

DC_United Member

May 8, 2008
  13. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida

Disagree with this. Obviously he wasn't going to play even before his outburst. It would make no sense. How could Sochaux play him in its season finale but not clear him for camp? Think about it.

14. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, there was no way he was playing in this game. Nothing would make any sense if he had.

15. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

Carlysle adds an interesting twist to the logistics problem that Bradley and the USSF would have encountered, if Sochaux stuck to its "medical clearance" stance.

Unfortunately, what Jeff failed to bring up in his article was that Sochaux backpedaled furiously once their president letter's to the USSF became public knowledge.

Given that their actions have become hugely unpopular in front of their own fans, the club would be very unlikely to resist Davies's inclusion in the provisional 30-man roster.

It'd be one thing if they stuck to their guns but, like many Frenchmen, they went into the retreat mode instantly upon the commencement of fire.

But, at least, they bluffed first and were pleased to find out that their bluff won.

16. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005

Not to mention the club said long before his outburst that he wouldn't play in any of the remaining games. They don't want him playing until next season.

17. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Right, this has hurt a few other YAs in the past.

Also, I think SFS is right, didn't Charlie actually say he's been pain-free for two months?

So now what are the chances that Charlie ends up going to camp? Any higher?

18. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005

I think the actual pre-world cup camp is out. Its not a fifa sanctioned event so Sochaux don't have to release him and they won't. However, the actual World Cup is Fifa sanctioned so if Charlie was called in there is nothing Sochaux can do.

However, for Charlie to have a shot at making it someone would have to give up their spot for him. Honestly, as well liked as Charlie seems to be by his USA teammates I can't see anyone giving up their spot. Its an honor to be on that list whether they make it or not. They want to play as well.

19. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005

That was the president speaking off the cuff - it was not an official club statement.

20. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

21. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005

22. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Bobby Zamora started 27 league matches for Fulham and continued to play through his injury.
    Charlie hasn't played since October when he almost died from massive injuries. Who can say how far he still has to go?
    Zamora had been cleared medically to play. He actually, in fact, did play. He is going to be fine after his achilles operation.
    Nobody, has cleared Charlie (save CD9, himself and a certain poster :) )

Is this the link of which you are speaking?
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-...lie-davies-not-included-roster?cc=5901&ver=us

It always seemed destined to end this way for Davies, especially after reports out of France surfaced in the past few weeks that he wouldn't take part in any of Sochaux's remaining league fixtures. That said, it seemed as though Davies would at least garner an invite to training camp, at which point it seemed likely that Bradley would choose that moment, after having seen him perform up close, to give the U.S. forward the bad news. But the fact that Davies was not medically cleared to play by his club would appear to have tied the U.S. manager's hands.

23. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C7Wfu9N7OE"]...if only[/ame]

24. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005

The problem is, Sochaux has said this in no way tied Bradley's hands.