Soccernomics, Global Leagues, TV Money and Quality

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by triplet1, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Why couldn't it break like college vs. pro football? College fb is arguably "less relevant", but manages pretty big television contracts.

2. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006
    You're right, and I should have been more clear. In most cases, I've used revenue from the previous (2010/11) year so the revenue data corresponds (where available) the wages SR reported for that season.

3. redinthemorning

redinthemorning Member+

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that's just not correct. The biggest thing holding up a true international transfer market has always been Russia. I understand why it was during the USSR, but today it's just outrageous.

The mythical Super League will still have a breaking point, because there are limits to how far foreign fans will go. I'll use my roommate last year as an example. The guy has a Red Devil tattoo on his arm. He thinks he bleeds Man United; in reality, they're just his favorite team in the FIFA games.

Last year on April 30, he did not have work, and his classes on Mondays were over by noon. Somehow, we did not watch the Man City-Man U game on ESPN. I didn't care to watch, because I tuned out the rest of the EPL when I realized Kenny wouldn't cure all the problems at Anfield (oh, the shame of the Europa league!). But he should have been all about it. It's not like the usual Sunday excuse of "we were too hungover" comes into play.

The reality is, those live TV rights are only worth so much when you're six or seven hours off of the time zone where the game is actually happening. The number of van Persie and Gerrard jerseys hanging in American closets is higher than the number of eyeballs actually watching EPL games. I'd bet the same is true of many other power clubs and leagues and their North and South American fan bases. There comes a time where the ad revenue does not make up for the obscenely high TV contracts.

4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NFL has not reached that point yet, and their money is mostly local (USA), if the alledged Eurosuper league would still half the TV money audience from local leagues (EU), that could be a huge number.

5. Kappa74

Kappa74 Member+

Feb 2, 2010
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Thinking about your post, if MLS does "lose" the TV market battle to the EPL, perhaps MLS's best strategy is expansion. The goal would be something north of 20 or 24 teams. If, in whatever time frame is economically feasible, the league had say 40 teams that canvassed most of America's regions, then more folks would have local sides that they could reasonably care about. I've always thought that the future growth of MLS was largely contingent on attracting the neutrals through ever lucrative TV contracts. Maybe this is a battle that can't be "won". Despite all the improvements, is there evidence that the neutrals have stopped droning on about Chelsea Blue, or how MLS sucks? The 1 bullet MLS does have, is that watching a soccer match is so much more enjoyable in the stands than from the couch. If MLS continues to prioritize the live game day experience, and expand its reach to more venues, it could be the "most relevant" league in America despite the insane money flowing into the EPL.

6. redinthemorning

redinthemorning Member+

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And obviously I can not argue against their local TV money. The bottom line is that these teams are exceptionally popular at home and abroad. However, how the popularity abroad translates to actual viewers is a different question.

The big key in this thread, as I see it, is that the foreign TV money puts these EPL clubs so far over the top that there is an insurmountable revenue gap. Clubs like Real Madrid and Inter Milan may be able to generate domestic TV money, but they will never catch up because of the foreign rights. However, I would posit that there is a bubble with the foreign TV money.

Granted, I did not take into account how much more a league would be worth if it were just the superpowers. I was initially thinking "okay, everyone makes £100 million a year, moving on." I do not know how to account for the increase you'd see from broadcasters who say "You mean we get to air Man U and Barcelona? At least twice a year? Here's a blank check, and would you like your sexual favors now or later?"

7. triplet1

Jul 25, 2006
    I think you're on to something.

The neutral, the so called "casual fan", is going to be a very tough sale for MLS IMO. I think Soccernomics has these fans pegged pretty accurately. They don't have a home town team, they aren't especially loyal and, given the newness of the league, they likely haven't "inherited" an MLS team from a parent before moving away from home. You're left with trying to win them on quality and star power, but realistically that's not going to be easy on MLS teams' budgets.

I realize some argue that MLS needs to lift the salary cap and create its own super teams to attract those fans, but a $15 million or even $25 million roster is still puny by EPL and super club standards. Even if the rules allowed it, I think MLS teams could spend a lot of money fruitlessly chasing these casual fans. Again, creating a real, honest to goodness super team that appeals to fans outside it's home market, both domestic and international, is a $1 billion proposition IMO. Fans can certainly tell the difference between that an MLS club that still spends a fraction as much.

So if that battle for the casual fan can't realistically can't be won, at least with sufficient frequency to command big TV contracts, what's left?

The home town fans who can connect with the teams by going to the games.

I'd work backward and try and construct rosters and adopt policies that focus on the people in the stadiums. Because they are less likely to switch allegiance than a casual fan who follows certain star players as much as their teams, I think parity sells with this group, and it's much cheaper. To the extent MLS can get bigger TV contracts, perhaps local TV deals take on more importance -- LA already may be foreshadowing that.

There's another thread that suggests the Eredivise may be a good benchmark to shot for, and that might be more accurate than I thought. The Eredivisie and some of the smaller Euro leagues do suggest that it's still possible to provide an exciting product for local fans even without big TV dollars. If MLS could have a league full of clubs like the bigger (but not biggest) clubs in the Netherlands or Switzerland or Denmark or the top four in Belgium, well, that's not so bad IMO. Again, it will need to boost payrolls to do that, but I think MLS could be comparable to that standard.

Which brings me back to where this all started years ago. Build SSS. Fill 'em up. Match your payrolls to reflect that income.

And things will be just fine IMO.

Kappa74 repped this.
  8. Kappa74

Kappa74 Member+

Feb 2, 2010
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    It goes without saying that we are just speculating here, but it will be interesting to see how responsive the owners are to the changing economic climate in world football in the next few years. Unlike other league in the U.S., MLS necessarily must react to what is happening in other leagues around them. And I think you are correct in pointing out that this is one such case, and that MLS is not alone in this regard. I've watched a number Eredivise games, and to frank, I would love for MLS to reach their level, both in terms of quality and excitement. That league is simply awesome. However, as with say the Australian or Chinese leagues, we are someone unique from Holland in that we do not have their history. But as they say, time is the great equalizer. So, despite the portents of this new EPL TV contract, and what my naturally pessimistic age can bear, I think the future of MLS looks very good indeed.

9. triplet1

Jul 25, 2006
    That's a fair point, and to be honest even the big Eredivisie clubs with Champions League money are probably a bridge too far. Someone was kind enough to post the budgets for this year in the Eredivisie thread, and this band of clubs seem to be reasonable benchmarks for MLS IMO:

Vitesse -- €30m
    AZ -- €25m
    SC Heerenveen -- €23m
    FC Groningen -- €18m
    NAC Breda -- €15.2m (2011/12)
    FC Utrecht -- €14.3m

Again, those are annual budgets so I believe that's more than player payroll, but still I think many of those clubs depend heavily on gate receipts and commercial revenues, so they represent a decent model for MLS.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting MLS give up on TV. I just don't think TV dollars are likely to fuel MLS' rise to be one of the top leagues in the world. Like some of these smaller Euro leagues, MLS is going to have to figure out a way to remain an attractive product without TV dollars from those casual and international fans.

10. Kappa74

Kappa74 Member+

Feb 2, 2010
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Damn right brother. Jurgen has such a burden on him. The 2014 nexus of TV contracts are at stake.

11. triplet1

Jul 25, 2006
    The Swiss Rambler has turned his financial acumen to the EPL TV deals in the context of how they will hope English clubs cope with Financial Fair Play. It's a fascinating read:

http://swissramble.blogspot.com/

In the link I provided early in the thread, projections were that the foreign rights could fetch £700m - £1 bn annually -- on top of the £1 billion annually the domestic rights are already contracted for. Swiss Rambler assumed an admittedly conservative price for the foreign rights, bringing the total payment to £1.7 billion pounds a year. He then went back and re-calculated what last year's TV distributions would have been.

Here are some of his projections for how much the clubs would receive in TV proceeds under the new deals by finish in the table (which I've converted to dollars):

20th place (Wolves) -- $95 million
    15th place (Wigan) -- $105 million
    10th place (West Brom) -- $114 million
    5th place (Newcastle Utd.) -- $134 million
    1st place (Man City) -- $151 million

The Rambler concludes:

"Under current allocation rules, that would imply an additional £30 million [$48 million] revenue a season for the leading English clubs [under the new TV deals], not only strengthening their ability to compete with overseas clubs, especially Madrid and Barcelona, who benefit from massive individual TV deals, but also providing a significant boost in their FFP challenge in the future – assuming that they don’t simply pass all the extra money into the players’ bank accounts."

And that's the conservative estimate. :notworthy:

12. ajbirch07

ajbirch07 Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its always the same narrative every year that soccer will grow if they make it far in the WC. Forgive me if I'm wrong but there wasn't really a huge surge after the 02 WC now was there?

13. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many teams and stadiums did MLS have at the time of the 02 WC?

Achowat repped this.
  14. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah MLS is pretty much exactly the same in every way, no major changes from 2002 - 2012.

15. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The big sticking point there is that even now, few of the top sides are run with making a profit as the aim. Their quest is on-the-field success, with the money coming in used to give them an edge over their domestic rivals mainly, as well as most of the international elite as possible.

You have that super league, and while it would almost certainly mean more money for them than now, it would almost certainly mean giving up their "top dog" status. Even if you have an elite 20-30 clubs, half of them, if not more, will be seen to be mediocre every year.

You have to either have full attempts at parity, which would require the likes of Manchester United and Real Madrid to accept potentially years of winning nothing, and possibly not even challenging, or you have a more open system which could consign clubs like Ajax or Benfica to permanent also-ran status.

FIFA could ban players from the world cup, but that would only be effective as long as the top players value playing in the world cup more than the super league. Once the top players started moving across, FIFA would pretty much have to cave in or see its showpiece severely devalued.

Players wouldn't be able to breach their contracts any more than any other contracted employee could, but the compensation for doing so would be far less than a transfer fee.

16. triplet1

Jul 25, 2006
    I'm not so sure. Clearly, Ajax and Benfica are struggling to keep pace financially now. Platini was candid when he said "I don’t think Ajax will ever win the CL in the future”, and Benfica's prospects probably are not any better.

http://netherlands.worldcupblog.org/1/michel-platini-ajax-will-never-win-the-cl-anymore.html

Now, drill down into the numbers and Ajax's match day and sponsorship revenue is actually very good -- it's TV money where it lags way behind. The rich TV deals of a European League could solve that problem. If a European League collectively marketed TV rights and shared that revenue equally, I'd think Ajax would much rather take that opportunity to remain in the mix of the world's top clubs rather than go the way of Sparta Prague or Rapid Vienna -- other proud, once great clubs that still dominate their domestic leagues, but are well past the date which they can economically compete with the elite.

17. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How does Rapid Vienna dominate Austria? In the last four (possibly more, I haven't checked) seasons they have no championships and the league has only 10 clubs.

18. triplet1

Jul 25, 2006
    Still the biggest club. Always in the mix. Second in the table as I write this.

But a shadow of what they were in the interwar years.

19. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    That transfer agreement has expired, and it's easy to see why. A $200,000 flat fee for each player from a IIHF club? 200K for the next Jaromir Jagr? Now that is truly outrageous.

With such "generosity" from the NHL I wouldn't sign either.
    A parity model (at a high level) would probably be the way to go with some kind of playoffs to keep things interesting. It would actually give clubs like Ajax or Benfica a chance to return to relevance. If run by UEFA (they could continue calling it Champions League for brand recognition) you could have at least one spot for promotion & relegation with the Europa League. More importantly, you could ensure that at least 20% of the Super League revenue gets shared with the Europa League and maybe even directly with national associations and leagues. That way you have some trickle down effect and continue to have a fair transfer system. Lastly, the Super League clubs could continue participating in the domestic FA Cup.

20. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If Ajax had premier league style tv money, where would it put them in comparison to premier league teams?

After all, when Arsenal are pretty much admitting they can't compete with the real big spenders any more, it's almost as if the elite themselves are becoming stratified.

21. triplet1

Jul 25, 2006
    The Swiss Rambler wrote this in November, 2010:

More positively, match day income is very good:

And commercial revenue is decent too:

http://swissramble.blogspot.com/search/label/Ajax

Again, these numbers are now a couple years old, but excluding all TV, both domestic and Champions/Europa Leauge, ticket revenue from the Europa League and profits from transfer fees, Ajax is generating €58 million. Swapping its €5 million domestic tv distribution (in 2010) for a €100 million EPL type distribution would be a huge benefit to the club.

22. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel that's more of a won't rather than can't. They run at a profit and won't change their business to a way that removes that profit. They have the revenue/monies to run a transfer policy above what they do now, especially with the stadium payment/debt easing more substantially now.

23. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That would put them on par with Newcastle/Spurs maybe?

That's still miles behind the sort of money going into the big "five" as they really are now, let alone the similar figures, if not higher, for the elite elsewhere.

The risk of an elite within the elite is very real, and would be an awkward prospect for perhaps half of the clubs joining any elite league. Financially they might be better of in the new league, but in every other way, staying in the Dutch League could actually be better for Ajax, or even the German clubs.

And unlike England or Spain or Italy, who could lose several top clubs, a Dutch league which has not been stripped of its top sides wouldn't suddenly feel second rate.

24. ajbirch07

ajbirch07 Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The plans to slowly build soccer stadiums have always been the plan since the inception of the league. The US makes the quarterfinals and all of a sudden soccer stadiums sprout up? Hardly seems like a valid argument.

If you've followed the league there wasn't a major jump between 02 and 07. Actually the quality of the league suffered as the 02 WC stars started to make the jump over to Europe. The quality of the league started to take off when Beckham entered the fold. After Beckham joined there was higher sponsorship revenue, the salaries of players went up, and TV contracts got bigger. Hardly would say that this happened because of the 02 run and it happened despite a horrible 06 WC

25. triplet1

Jul 25, 2006
    Where would Ajax rank? It really depends on your assumptions. If you assume a European League would distribute TV proceeds equally, as the NFL does and the EPL does for foreign TV, then, at least with respect to fellow league members, it no longer provides an advantage. Match Day Income and Commercial Income would separate the big clubs. If you look at Swiss Rambler's chart, you'll see in 2009/10 Ajax had the 10th highest match day revenue in the Deloitte Money League and the 17th highest commercial income. Cumulatively, I think Ajax would rank 15th or 16th in revenue, excluding any income from player sales.

http://swissramble.blogspot.com/search/label/Ajax

So, is being the 15th or 16th richest club in the world, playing in the best league in the world, preferable to being one of the kingpins of the Eredivisie? I think it is, but others may feel differently.

Is it better to be one of the top couple teams in the Championship, particularly if that is where most of your historic rivals are, or the 15th or 16th best club in the Premiership?