SOCCER TV RATINGS on Weekly Basis..(MLS, EPL, UEFA)

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by stingbee30, Mar 27, 2012.

1. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    I will try to post the ratings on Weekly basis...

Thanks to my Twitter source...

Lou D'Ermilio ‏ @FOXSportsLouD

1)Man City-Chelsea 380K, ESPN2; 2) CHelsea/Tottenham 365K, ESPN2; 3) NY/Colorado 217K, ESPN; 4) Stoke City/Man City 200K, FOX Soccer

The Chelsea vs. Spurs also had 68k on ESPNDeportes...

2. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    The MLS game on ESPN was a total disaster...I think it had to do with the match-up....But, regardless, it was not a good start on ESPN...

3. Twix1138

Twix1138 Member

Jul 9, 2010
    New York getting terrible tv ratings as usual...

I think they set a record this time. If NY can barely crack 300K for a playoff match, then you can't expect much.

4. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    It just shows that NY Red Bulls hasn't really integrated with the community...But, 215k is terrible for a big market like NY.

I'm pretty much sure the LA vs. Kansas (the next ESPN game) will probably pull a better rating.

5. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    The TV ratings confirm what I have been saying for the past 10 years:

The U.S. TV market for soccer is not that different from the TV market for soccer in China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, etc.

Viewers who want to watch soccer on TV in these markets prefer the global brand name clubs in the English Premier League over the local brands.

Manchester United is way ahead of the curve, as it is now going after Mexico and the U.S. Hispanic markets after conquering the East and Southeast Asian markets.

6. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Stingbee.

Does your source have the most recent NBCSN game? We only got a partial demographic rating in the MLS forum.

7. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    MLSFan....Here you go my friend:

The NBCSN scored 107k for the Seattle game vs. Houston. This is for the whole match (the match-window should be a little higher), and i don't have any info on the peak numbers.

This is not bad considering it was Friday Night and the game started after 10:15 pm (EST).

8. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    It is safe to assume that MLS needs a destination spot on ESPN. You need one game each week a la Monday Night Football: you stick to this format period. You can still have some games scattered on different days/nights, but you need to have one night dedicated to MLS. MLS needs a Soccer show on ESPN (I'm assuming things might change in the next tv contract cycle)...

MLS (historically) starts slow in terms of tv ratings on ESPN/ESPN2 (except for an occasional game here and there). The ratings tend to increase during the summer-time.

9. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    It (the small audience size) also had to do (in part) with the fact that the Sunday afternoon 3/25 MLS game on ESPN (as well as part of the Friday night 3/23 NBCSN MLS game) was up against March Madness NCAA Basketball games on CBS in the same timeslot(s).

Ratings are important data points. (Although, the data in this thread is actually the projected average audience size from the "ratings" percentage as estimated by Nielsen.) But all data points need context and understanding. Top-line household ratings and total persons average audience size data are important and indicative. But additionally, demographic and other audience data and competitive data-sets are not always available for public consumption and/or in a thread like this.

10. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    I have been saying the following for the past 18 months as well:

MLS will get a "destination" time slot from NBC Sports Network, but NOT from the ESPN Networks, especially after 2014.

MLS matches on the ESPN Networks since 2009 have been scheduled at the convenience of ESPN, Inc., not at the convenience of MLS, after MLS failed to deliver anywhere close to ESPN, Inc.'s expectations for growth.

With ESPN, Inc. losing the FIFA properties (and its associated requirement to carry MLS) after 2014, your logic should point toward NBC Sports Network as the new "Tier 1" outlet for MLS in 2015.

2012-2014: ESPN, Inc. - Tier 1, Galavision - Tier 1S Spanish, NBC Sports Network - Tier 2, Direct Kick/MLSlive.tv - Tier 3

2015 and beyond - NBC Sports Network - Tier 1 English, mun2 - Tier 1 Spanish, either FOX Soccer/FOX Deportes or ESPN2/ESPN Deportes - Tier 2, MLS Network - Tier 3, Direct Kick/MLSlive.tv - Tier 4

--

NBC Sports Network has a boss in Jonathan Miller who believes in going after young audiences with non-traditional sports events.

(Miller's boss Mark Lazarus is also very aggressive, as he was the one who took a chance on WUSA in 2001 before bailing out at the end of the season after seeing Comcast bail out and the $100 million in deficits accumulated by WUSA before the first ball was even kicked.)

One of Miller's "unconventional" bets for NBC Sports before MLS was the National Heads-Up Poker Championship, which ended its 7-year run in 2011 after the U.S. Department of Justice booted out the biggest unlicensed real money online poker rooms from the U.S. market.

The managerial team at NBC Sports Network (including producer Pierre Moussa) that was in charge of the 2011 National Heads-Up Poker Championship on NBC Sports is now in charge of MLS on NBC Sports Network.

(The production company that produced Heads-Up poker for NBC now produces the World Series of Poker and World Series of Poker Europe for ESPN, Inc., as well as the World Series of Poker Circuit Events for NBC Sports Network. )

11. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Olive...I totally agree with you on the notion of a destination spot for MLS. For a long time, I was actually open for the idea of putting MLS games on different days and different nights. However, MLS needs a destination night on a weekly basis on ESPN. Each ESPN game needs to be preceded by a Soccer/MLS Night show. This way you are adding stories to the product.

It is time for ESPN/MLS to have a better arrangement. If not, like you said it Olive, I don't see ESPN being the Tier 1 content provider in the next TV cycle unless they change the way MLS is presented on their platforms. Without a stronger commitment from ESPN, MLS Tier 1 TV platform might be NBC Sports. ESPN will probably become a Tier 2 platform (they could still show MLS depending on their schedule). FOX Soccer/FOX Sports might become the other TV platform in the next cycle as well.

In summary, We might have 3 English-speaking TV platforms in the next TV cycle, or just 2. But, the Tier 1 and Tier 2 are for grabs

12. jstradcutter

jstradcutter New Member

Mar 28, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I don't think that MLS is going to reach anywhere near their potential in tv ratings until ESPN does two easy things for them.

1. Soccer show similar to baseball tonight
    2. Show highlights and talk about stories on sportscenter other than top 10 plays.

If espn did that, we would see ratings sky rocket.

13. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you!

I saw the following on the MLS forum and likely misread it that it was 106k viewers in just the MEN 18-49 bracket but from your post it sounds like that was the entire number.

Ratings for Houston v. Seattle per @tvsportsratings on twitter:
    @sounderatheart .10 Men 18-49. 106k viewers

14. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    which makes it absolute lunacy that MLS wants to put another team in NY

15. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    But that's NOT ESPN's job.

ESPN's job is to exploit MLS for a profit, not to build a TV audience for MLS.

Building a TV audience for MLS is the job of Don Garber and associates.

--

The best thing that has happened to MLS is for FOX to knock ESPN out of the FIFA World Cups after 2014.

That move has forced MLS to rethink its media strategy in the U.S.

Whether that rethinking will include moving "Tier 1" to NBC Sports Network and mun2, or launching MLS Network (in conjunction with Comcast and possibly Time Warner Cable) for "Tier 3" telecasts, remains to be seen. We will know in less than 30 months.

16. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When you think that MLS's first game this year on ESPN2 this year drew 337k viewers, the idea that the EPL is some how monstrously more popular on tv is kind of silly.

17. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    how are those mutually exclusive?

i.e., would (ESPN) helping to build a TV audience for MLS also (or additionally) better allow ESPN to do its job of exploiting MLS for a profit?

"and associates" includes (or should include) the group of MLS/SUM's broadcast partners, such as ESPN, does (or should) it not?

18. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    It is a joint partnership...

It is the job of the Don, MLS, and TV partners to add value to a content...It is not just exclusive to the commissioner or MLS...

19. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN's job is to make money. If they happen to build an MLS audience in the process or consider it a pre-requisite - all the better for MLS. But ESPN is not going to spend money on an ideal that won't make them money. I think that's the point.

20. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Well, in the next TV cycle, the MLS TV rights are going to be much higher. ESPN will increase their investment in MLS, or they might lose the rights altogether. But, ESPN has been spending more money in the presentation of MLS games (this was reported before the start of this season as well). ESPN is in the business of making money, but also making sure their investment pays off.

So, the next TV cycle is going to much different. I think MLS will dictate the terms better because now they have more suitors and competition for the TV rights. ESPN knows that the pendulum has swung towards MLS favor.

21. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But how has the pendulum swung towards MLS? The World Cup rights award to Fox/Telemundo has blown a hole in the theory that you need MLS to win the World Cup - which is the crown jewel of Soccer TV rights. If anything, MLS is in a worse position.

The idea, though, that a sports league would trade rights fees for a cut in the channel esp if that channel has someone like ESPN, Fox, or the cable companies behind it (or both in the case of Comcast/NBC) is very interesting. I suppose then I could see an MLS TV channel that gets "the push" and ends up adding a bunch of syndicated content and infomercials.

But who knows ...

22. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Here is some updates from last week...

MLS game on NBCSports

NE-LA MLS on NBCSN, 123K (for the whole match...the match-window is always a little higher, and probably a higher peak number as well)....It was the #9 highest Soccer telecast for last week...

AC MILAN vs. Barcelona did 212K on Fox Soccer # 4 highest telecast from last week. Regardless, I think FOX Soccer is not the ideal platform to showcase these type of games. It is a niche channel. Imagine if the game was on ESPN? We would have seen numbers as high as around 400K or so, and 75K+ or so on ESPNDeportes.

Spurs vs. Swansee on FOX Soccer did 226K (the highest rated FOX Soccer telecast last week), and was the #3 highest soccer telecast for the week.

The TOP two spots were the EPL games on ESPN2 (don't have those numbers yet)..

23. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Chivas vs Club America will be next Sunday at 7pm ET/4pm PT on Telemundo.

I expect the lowest household rating EVER for a superclasico in the U.S. since the Spanish-language networks switched to the Nielsen Television Index (NTI) in 2006.

(My prediction: 0.8% household rating, down from 1.9% in 2007.)

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1926440

In 2011, neither of the two superclasicos were able to crack 1.0%, with both coming in at 0.9%. The telecast on Univision in October actually drew WORSE than the one on Telemundo in April.

Heck, the superclasicos were NOT even the highest-rated MEXICAN League matches on U.S. television in 2011. Toluca-Santos on December 11, 2011 drew more viewers.

The global brands, particularly the big 3 (Manchester United, Barcelona, and Real Madrid,) have begun taking market share in the U.S. Hispanic market from the Mexican League.

The quality of Chivas and Club America have both slipped in recent years. Chivas in particular have been brutally bad in 2012 (losing to relegation-threatened Estudiantes Tecos 1-0 in a local derby last week was the latest stinker.)

24. simont

simont Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please stop repenting your self you posted that like last week. This is getting old now I am starting to just not bother reading your posts.

25. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    SOME More updates....

THE TOP 2 SOCCER TELECAST FROM LAST WEEK...

1) ManU vs. Fulham (366K) on ESPN2 (not including ESPNDeportes)
    2) ManCity vs. Sunderland (335K) on ESPN2 (ex-ESPNDeportes)