Soccer on TV in Canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by whiteisthecolour, May 19, 2008.

1. wyly

wyly New Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Calgary
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    a match on Fox that is worth watching is a rare thing, I may cancel it as well...

2. CanuckFan

CanuckFan Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Calgary
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    FSWC does the nightly report produced out of Winnipeg.
    Also, they bring USL matches, but that's probably not sexy enough for the expats who of course support Cdn soccer so well.

3. nfitz

nfitz Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Toronto
    Ah, that's true ... though most of the ones I've watched were on SRC; much better picture; and widescreen!

4. jattcity

jattcity Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Surrey, BC, Canada
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Ya I liked how the past World Cup was broadcasted with the normal English commentary. Nigel Reed is so boring and dull and they only have him commentating the game because he has a British accent. They should get Jim Hughson to do soccer games that would be awesome

5. verd

verd New Member

Mar 26, 2010
    Club:
    SC Freiburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    At least it's just at half-time, like at the Confederations Cup last year. They'll have the same FIFA English feed we've been getting for decades.

6. andybenfica

andybenfica New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  7. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    I see they're not going to show the CONCACAF CL Final up there. I doubt there are any UEFA countries who won't be showing the UEFA CL.

8. devioustrevor

devioustrevor Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Napanee, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Not showing it up where?

Here in Canada it'll be on. Rogers Sportsnet didn't spend all that money to outbid TSN just to not show the Final. They even pre-empted a Major League Baseball game (a game featuring the team the network owns no less) for the first game of the Bayern-Lyon Semi-Final.

9. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    I think you should re-read my post.

They pre-empted a Blue Jays game for the Bayern game? Did they offer the Blue Jays game on another channel instead, or did they just show the whole game on tape delay?

10. andybenfica

andybenfica New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The Bayern Munich - Lyon 1st Leg was aired live on All Sportsnet Channels & The Jays game went to a free preview channel on Rogers that was live as well - i think it was against Kansas City

My Site has the Concacaf Champions League 2nd leg between Pachuca v Cruz Azul live on Fox Sports World Canada

www.footballtvcanada.blogspot.com

Also Rogers Sportsnet will carry The Champions League Final in Madrid next month eventho there is memorial cup action but there is an off day when the final happens also the Blue Jays play later on that day against Arizona - Live on Rogers Sportsnet

11. l8trsk8trs

l8trsk8trs New Member

Apr 19, 2007
    REDS 3RD round 1st leg Match July 29th???

Anyone aware of any station picking up the 3rd round qualifier between Liverpool and FK Rabotnicki this Thursday at 2:45 (est)? I thought TLN might, but I don't see it.

12. andybenfica

andybenfica New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Re: REDS 3RD round 1st leg Match July 29th???

TLN does not have rights until the Group Phase

Footballltvcanada.blogspot.com

13. Kibby

Kibby Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Ottawa
    Another year... another year of figuring out who has what.

Ok so EPL is a Sportsnet/TSN/Setanta thing this year. Setanta has HD this year right? Will all live games across the 3 be in HD? Loss of afternoon SUN to Setanta it seems like :( I don't have Setanta ;)

GolTV still has Bundesliga, La Liga, and Brazilian prem I see. Is GolTV going HD? Will they show more of the games each round? It always felt to me like they only replayed the same games over and over during the week where it would be better if they went all Setanta like and played the other games as delayed Debuts as well.

Score has made a serious move with Serie A. They are shut out of EPL.. will they be going head to head with EPL,3-4 games live a week? Hope so!! Will the games be in HD?

I see the RCS channel from TLN is coming in as EuroSport World. I see that it appears they have Ligue 1 instead of Setanta + the Europa League. Will they grab extra Serie A games from Score and/or La Liga/Bundesliga from GolTV? If so this could turn into a killer channel. Hope it's part of the sports package I already pay for. (offhand what about any of their Rugby offerings?)

Sportsnet One means another live Champion's League match per round? How is Sportsnet One being added, additional subscription, or part of the package?

FoxSports World sucking as usual. Just die already.

Any sight of the Dutch, Portuguese, Argentinian or Mexican leagues?

14. Coach J

Coach J Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Port Moody
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Word has it that Fox Sports World Canada will end in October. I love the channel and will be really sad to see it go. Loss of content and TV rights have hurt the station.

No more Fox Soccer Report. :(

15. niagaracelt11

niagaracelt11 New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    does anyone know if bell tv will be picking up sportsnet1 or eurosport channels?

16. floydp2p

floydp2p New Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  17. floydp2p

floydp2p New Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  18. elpaynos

elpaynos New Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Club:
    Brighton & Hove Albion FC
    cheers floyd, I'll check that out. Anyone know anywhere they'll show league 1 in Montreal though?!

c'mon the seagulls!

19. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Family of networks will broadcast 24 regular-season games, ASG
    [​IMG]

NEW YORK – Major League Soccer announced Monday that it has signed a six-year multimedia rights agreement with TSN, Canada’s most-watched specialty network, and that the TSN family of networks will broadcast 24 regular season games live in 2011, all involving at least one of the two Canadian-based MLS clubs.

This season Toronto FC and the Vancouver Whitecaps will respectively feature 13 and 12 times each on TSN/TSN2, including the first two all-Canadian matches in MLS history on March 19 and June 29.
    “This announcement comes at an opportune time for MLS as we enter a period of growth in Canada with the Vancouver Whitecaps joining the league this season and the Montreal Impact in 2012," MLS commissioner Don Garber said. "We look forward to building the sport together and creating an exciting multimedia platform for soccer fans throughout the country.”

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/mls-signs-six-year-tv-deal-canadas-tsn

20. soccer krazy

soccer krazy Member

Nov 30, 2005
    California
  21. iancampbell9

iancampbell9 Member

May 10, 2006
    Does anyone know if its possible to get Wales vs England (Euro qualifier) on tv in Canada or its it gonna be the case of getting a decent stream on the internet?

Cheers!

22. BigDreams

BigDreams Member

Aug 22, 2010
    Windsor, ON, Canada
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    GolTV sucks! I dont want to watch colombian league games nor do i want to watch the same serie A or paulistao game everyday for 5 days straight!I'd watch ligue un over colombian league anyday! And why the hell don't they show EPL or Champions league games?? Or NT games?

But I am thankful for the bundesliga games,the live Barca games, goltv news and "oh my gol". And can't forget the available spanish goltv.

23. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Quite simply, they don't have the rights to broadcast these properties. Had it not been for MLS propping them up, they'd probably not exist at this point...

24. fscat

fscat Member

May 2, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    free live stream of Canada v Ecuador??

Thanks.

25. SilverSlimer

SilverSlimer New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Yeah, I'd love to see the Canadian Gold Cup games. The first step to seeming as important as a Euro tournament is actually being shown on TV.