So, predictions anyone?

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by jmaestro, Oct 29, 2012.

1. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    How does losing him in the middle of the season really help us though?

I'd rather they let him go in the winter, so we can have a new player come in, and play the entire season with us.

I guess the only advantage to him leaving in the summer would be would could still use him in the Champions League knockout games.

UcIceD2011 and Berks repped this.
  2. esco300

esco300 Member+

May 8, 2011
    Seattle
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Win CCL with Omar and then bring a Euro non Dp CB........

3. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or have Bruce keep drafting defensive players like a prescient stud. He drafts defense really well. Offense is debatable, but defense--whew, he's doing a great job.

4. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yeah i'd rather us spend the cash on an attacking player then a defender, we've done pretty damn good the past 4 years without any real names or big salaries in the back.

Berks repped this.
  5. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, remember when we were all so-so about the pickups of Dunivant and Magee? I should go back and read the threads, but I think we were all pretty much "meh." Seemed like lateral moves at the time, but damn did they turn out well.

TrickHog, profiled and Kilgore repped this.
  6. esco300

esco300 Member+

May 8, 2011
    Seattle
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea that too but we need another belhalter ( i think i spelled it wrong sorry) in the back that can take stress and give great advice to our new back 4 when omar is Gone , i know we have the best defense in all MLS right now but We need to think bigger then MLS, like CCL and FCWC . We have the money why not spend it?

7. UcIceD2011

UcIceD2011 Member+

Jul 10, 2011
    Nor Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What money? The roster we have this year is scratching the upper limits of MLS salary structure. The only reason it seems plausible to afford our roster this year is because of all the allocation money we reportedly had last offseason. Remember, we had to trade Ricketts for more allocation money just to make everyone fit. I don't see us having the same amount of allocation money this year.

Also, based on the salary structure of MLS, I have always thought that we let the college kids populate the gk and backline positions and spend our money on the attacking positions. That will always get us the most bang for our buck. We can't really have both.

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  8. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The salary cap will rise slightly (though I'd imagine this is all eaten up by increases in wages to players on contracts).

If we win MLS Cup and qualify for the Champions League we should get some salary cap relief from that as well.

But yeah I don't see us having enough flexibility to do a whole lot with our roster.

Perhaps trading Buddle( 225,000.00) could lead to a little room.

9. UcIceD2011

UcIceD2011 Member+

Jul 10, 2011
    Nor Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Making the CCL is a minimum requirement if we even have dreams of keeping a team like this together. I hate to say it but we should all really enjoy the Seattle game and hopefully the MLS Cup game in a couple weeks. I think that this will most likely be the best roster we will have in the next couple years and will prob go down as one of the most talented Galaxy, and probably MLS, rosters of all time. This team could be significantly different next year and I hope it is. It is time to put the time into the young talents and let them develop to bring about the next years of dominance.

10. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Anyone know how much allocation $ we get for qualifying for CCL?

11. esco300

esco300 Member+

May 8, 2011
    Seattle
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Are u forgetting Omar Transfer wage? We sell him for 3-5 mill and boom money money money money MOnNehhhh!

12. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mike Magee 2012 MLS Cup game-winning goal...

I'm predicting it first.

:)

Berks, Ghosting and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  13. UcIceD2011

UcIceD2011 Member+

Jul 10, 2011
    Nor Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is right. But, because he only has a year left on contract I don't expect us to get 3-5 mil. If we do I will jump for joy. I'm guessing high 1 mil maybe 2 is what we end up getting. We only get like 60% of a transfer out of MLS so we are only getting a cut. And then out of that cut, only 650,000 I believe is available to be used on players. That looks great, especially added to hopefully some CCL money, but most people were speculating we had over a mil in allocation money alone last season.

This doesn't take into account finding a replacement for Omar or handling the Juninho situation. Juninho is on our books for 70k I think, which is just ridiculous. We buy out his contract and all of a sudden he is making at least 150k if not more. All I'm saying is if we are expecting our rosters to be similarly talented from here on out, be prepared to be disappointed. MLS is just like the NFL in the sense that it becomes harder and harder to keep talented teams together.

14. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    You’re forgetting MLS breaks the rules for us. That’s why we’ve split MLS Cups evenly with New York.

15. esco300

esco300 Member+

May 8, 2011
    Seattle
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All that does make sense UCLCE but we can all agree that we are ready to turn the page and add big time players without beckham era now, no matter who leaves and who stays LA Galaxy is big time Club now, and i dont see us pedaling backwards this off season....

16. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One more game to go.... Don't let me down, guys.

Berks and Kilgore repped this.
  17. Kilgore

Kilgore Member

Sep 18, 2007
    I've got my ticket. Really looking forward to this.

18. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cbus - you're going to this right??!?!?!?!?

;)

19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    "What's your prediction for the final?"
    "My prediction?"
    "Yes, your prediction."
    [looking at camera] "Pain."

20. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO, Juninho should be our top off-season priority, if, and only if, he wants to stay here. If not we keep him around on a year-by-year basis for cheap until he gets the opportunity he wants back home. Maybe winning two championships here will convince him to make his home in LA.

Berks and phoenixhazard repped this.
  21. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed 100%, Juninho is the future of the Galaxy.

22. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Indeed, I wonder if we can get another re-fill on some players from Brazil, after that initial deal with Juninho, Leonardo and Alex whatever his name was, we haven't really heard much, would be nice to get a re-fill of 2 or 3 players every few years that are of similar quality for a decent price.

Kilgore repped this.
  23. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think juninho will stay, look what happened last time he tried to go back to brasil. he can launch to europe and bigger glories from LA just as much if not better than in brasil.

24. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, and I still want to see that Brazilian festival/celebration/theme day that we talked about earlier in the year. Let's make Juninho, Sarvas, Leonardo and 2 or 3 youngsters feel at home and wanted.

With our academy players coming up, though, that may make fewer spots for young players from South America. Not necessarily a bad thing....choices.

25. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It allows the academy players to come up in the right time and not rushed through to crash and burn like so many others