So...let's talk about Commissioner Garber

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Sempuukyaku, Mar 31, 2014.

1. soccermilitant

soccermilitant Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    St.paul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah despite the fact he literally save and guided the MLS through some of there toughest times, are finally starting to ake some money, tv deals he gets crap because he not a "soccer guy". Jeez sometimes i wonder why i even bother reading this crap anymore?

2. soccermilitant

soccermilitant Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    St.paul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just because your a "soccer guy" dosent mean you can run a business. If that was the case the USSF in the 70s and 80s wouldnt never been on the brink of bankruptcy.

ElJefe repped this.
  3. itcheyness

itcheyness Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's cool, I don't believe in the Moon, I think that it's just the back of the Sun.

4. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar

Why does it have to be one or the other? Is it that inconceivable to have a soccer guy who can run a business?

I'm not in any hurry to kick Garber out ... but when his time comes it would be nice to have a soccer guy in there. I'll give Garber an A on the business side but I'd give him a C on several soccer issues like for instance the constant clusterfu*k that is the playoff structure ...

5. nbtc971

nbtc971 Member

Dec 26, 2006
    You really got me there.. not. haha

6. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get the sense that Garber's hands are tied on the playoff structure. If the playoff structure seems contrived, it's because MLS has been bending over backwards to make sure as many teams as possible get at least one home game. That's probably the owners' doing, not Garber's.

7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Specifically it was a belief of Lamar Hunt's that every playoff team should get at least one home game.

8. CoconutMonkey

CoconutMonkey Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Japan
    Club:
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct.

As for responsibility, of course it's not MLS's responsibility to develop the lower divisions, but I wish it was.

9. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ====================

Lots of good points.
    Garber has been excellent with revenue, getting new owners, sponsors, finances etc.
    -
    I still think we need a soccer guy and my biggest beef with DG is lack of respect for the history of the game in this country and out.
    -
    We need to be different than the NBA-NFL-NHL-MLB with all the multi divisions and playoffs formats.
    Why can't we just have a regular season- shield winner and then a well promoted cup.
    If all the excitement in the EPL this year is that Liverpool could win it, we need that excitement and suspense in our league, not a yawn over 10 teams making the playoffs.
    -
    Had we followed tradition a bit more, then more traditional fans may have followed more closely.
    We have to make our league a little different in such a crowded sports market and to say that every regular season game is important since no playoffs would be different.
    -
    I think the horse is out of the barn with us going to 24 or who knows how many teams.
    To me, 16 would have been my max . Would have allowed enough flex in the season schedule, combined with no playoffs, to get all games on weekends, avoid FIFA dates and either start later or end earlier or both.
    -
    If we are going to keep going, then it is either time for MLS-2 or a merge of NASL into a MLS-2 and USL-pro becoming MLS-3, and while we are at it, PDL + NPSL= MLS- regional.
    -
    This would also require a very strong USSF that doesn't let more leagues keep being added to our alphabet soup. The structure from top to bottom should support developing players for the national team and grow the game in general. Such a large top to bottom league also puts more markets on the map. In fact, I would leave out pro/rel until this structure can be organized.
    -
    Either go farm team approach and promote players up the ladder, rather than teams.
    -
    I would like a concerted effort for USSF and MLS to build up the very historical USOC. It would show that we really have a history of soccer in this country- 101st edition this year.
    -
    Overall, good job DG and get better !

10. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Just curious if you could provide examples for this belief?

When Saturday Comes and JasonMa repped this.
  11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The last time a soccer league in this country used a no division/conference configuration (and had more than a handful of teams in it) was the American Soccer League of 1932-33 which had 9 teams in the Boston - NY area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1932-33_American_Soccer_League

Since then some sort of division or conference split was used by every soccer league of any size (greater than 6 teams). So yeah, I'd say our current configuration does respect the history of the game in this country.

12. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you figure?

Because in this part of the world, we have divisions and playoffs. Almost every single league in the Americas uses them in one shape or form.

It's exciting because it's been, what, 40 years, since they won it. It's exciting because someone other than Manchester or Chelsea or [insert Russian/MiddleEaster billionaire team here] might win it. It's so rare as to be noteworthy. Would it really make life better if LA/NY won the title 9/10 years? Really?

First off, mistakes were made. Donnie G, a non-soccer guy, came in and fixed them. Secondly, by ridding us of the playoffs, you make MORE of the regular season mean LESS. Without carrots to give to middle of the pack on down teams, you've effectively made the regular season pointless.

Sure, if you'd have been happy with a small TV contract for life and little room for growth. Also, how can you have only 16 teams spread over a continent? You'd be missing way too many people. You know why all the pro leagues in the US have ~30 teams? That gives you the majority of the populace with a team to root for, maximizing gate receipts AND, more importantly, TV revenue. Beyond that it's probably not worth adding teams.

Um, no. Hell no. NASL wants nothing to do with MLS. And MLS doesn't have to do anything to help them, or anyone out. They aren't a charity. They work with USLPro because they both realize there is money to be made by helping each other out. But MLS' job isn't to stabilize the "pyramid". That is USSF's job. Go to their board on BigSoccer and complain there. Or better yet, write Sunil a letter.

USSF hasn't added a league since the NASL/USL split. And USSF does a pretty good job keeping everything together for being a private enterprise. And there won't be any pro/rel at the top anytime soon....if ever.

It's fun spending other people's money.

-
    It is not MLS' responsibility to do USSF's work for them.

JasonMa repped this.
  13. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Define "Soccer Guy". What does that mean?

Mr. Garber has been in the position since 1999. That is 14 years.

In 14 years a person could have to college and graduated with a degree in soccer, gone to grad school and earned a Master Degree in Soccer. Continue to a PhD and earned a Doctorate in Soccer. And still had 4 or 5 more years to earn whatever the next degree is.

How long does a person have to be involved in the business of soccer before he can be considered a "Soccer Guy"?

I would say that there is no person more of a "soccer guy" in this country - or the world - who knows more about soccer and how to continue the growth of MLS. That is the job and I hope he sticks around for another 14 years. What this league has been able to accomplish since he took the job is mind-boggling.

When Saturday Comes repped this.
  14. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar

You're obviously a huge DG fan. I'm not going to argue what is and isn't a "soccer guy". Everyone's entitled to their own definition. My definition of a soccer guy is someone who has the history of the sport in their blood. Someone who understands the game, the culture and the passion.

Like I said those things aren't necessary to being a strong executive. Sometimes it can actually hurt because you don't get the outsider's perspective.

I'm fine with DG continuing on but I'm not sure about 14 years ... Any organization can begin to stagnate when you don't bring in new blood and new ideas.

15. soccermilitant

soccermilitant Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    St.paul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that not enough to run a sucessiful business.

16. soccermilitant

soccermilitant Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    St.paul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what proof is that Don Garber dosent have any of that?

17. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Never said it was ...

It is possible for there to be a person in the world who is super knowledgeable about soccer and good at business

18. soccermilitant

soccermilitant Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    St.paul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you know he not super knowledgeable about soccer?

19. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I didn't realize this was some factual debate. I was just stating my opinion. I don't need proof. I've heard Don Garber speak enough over the years to be able to form an opinion. Especially earlier in his career topics like coaching, player development, refereeing, supporter culture, international competitions etc ... sounded very unnatural to him. Basically like someone who is forming his opinions while still learning the topic as opposed someone who's been thinking about these things their whole life.

Like I said that's not always a bad thing. It just is what it is

20. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I expected to take heat for my opinions. But then again without different opinions, we would have nothing to talk about or discuss. And that is the beauty of soccer, whether domestic or international, we have an endless list of things discuss.
    -
    Don't get me wrong, DG has done wonders for the financial stability and growth of the league. For the most part, we have avoided most of the problems of all the prior leagues that have died in this country. MLS, looks, acts and operates like a true professional sports league. Our stable single entity concept allows us to attract investors and now, more players from around the world who want to play here. No problems with all of that.
    -
    I still don't understand why we need to reinvent the wheel when it comes to how the game is organized in this county. And I do have a problem that MLS and USSF don't seem to have a closer relationship. Yes, MLS is worried about running a domestic league and USSF seems to mainly worry about the national teams. I just think they operate in separate worlds some time.
    -

21. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is the wheel being reinvented?

22. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least we got rid of the shoot out, the short overtime and the clock runs the correct way.
    My simple request is:

Regular Season = Supporter Shield. No playoffs. We have had and still have too many strange versions of playoffs.
    USOC = historical, classic cup, open to all, the true national champion. Minnows vs. Giants.
    (this should be soccers version of March Madness)
    If we really still think we need an MLS Cup, make it what it should be, a full league cup for the professional teams.

And since MLS would never do this with NASL, although it might with USL (although would add a level of competition above and beyond the USOC) then include all the MLS teams ( all 24 of team), not just the current 10. This would keep all MLS teams "involved" in a cup in addition to the USOC so they would still have something to play for if they are having a poor regular season.

=
    winners of both are seed to CCL
    runner ups are the 3 or 4th teams to CCL.
    -
    To be fair MLS has done things you could call a reinvention of the game in a positive way that maybe other countries need to consider:
    > single entity or financial fair play to level the playing field between small and big markets.
    > we actually PAY our players on time.
    > clean , modern SSS that are safe for fans to attend, including women and families.
    > reasonable ticket prices
    > good training facilities, medical care/treatment for players

23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Playoffs (of some sort) are used in most leagues in the Americas, including every league outside the Caribbean in CONCACAF. So MLS having them is right in line with how the game is played in this part of the world.

Not MLS's responsibility.

24. soccermilitant

soccermilitant Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    St.paul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the USSF has dosent anything to promote the USOC for what 80 years?

25. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe this is the 102th year of the Open Cup.