So...let's talk about Commissioner Garber

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Sempuukyaku, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So unless things have changed recently, Don Garber's contract is actually expected to expire at the end of this season.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...-Garbers-Deal-As-Commissioner-Through-14.aspx

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110...missioner-don-garber-signs-new-four-year-deal

Now, personally I think he's done a pretty amazing job, and would be shocked if his contract were not extended. However...WHAT IF?

What if, Garber decided that he wanted a change of scenery and wanted to take on a new challenge? If that were the case, who do you feel would be a good fit to take over his reigns and be the new commissioner? Actually, better yet...do you feel that a new commissioner would need to stay the course regarding Garber's direction and vision? Or do you feel that he would go a slightly different track to take the lead in a new direction with the BOG's blessing?

I'm interested in your thoughts.

2. NE till i die

NE till i die Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Stoughton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's absolutely no way he doesn't extend his contract. He's the one who's been at the forefront of all the expansion talk and I would fully expect him to see that through.

3. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Personally I'd prefer someone who is more of a genuine soccer guy ... Garber has lots of strengths but soccer itself was never one of them. Sure he's gotten better over time ... and he certainly has soccer guys around him. But I feel there's a little lacking in the way he communicates soccer issues. I'm talking about specifically things like league competition structures, roster rules, transfer markets, player development and coaching. He still sounds like an NFL guy when he talks about these things and isn't very comfortable with the concept of soccer being a global sport that marches to the beat of a different drum.

Where I appreciate his work is definitely the business side. He's done fairly well bringing investment into the league, sponsors, TV partners, stadium development etc ...

canammj and Beerking repped this.
  4. MattND28

MattND28 Member

Jan 10, 2014
    Are you sure its not the other way around, and you aren't entirely comfortable with America marching to the beat of a different drum in regards to soccer?

We were always going to be a different animal. We always needed to be a different animal.

5. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    This is true ... but I think there is a little disconnect between Garber's presentation and a traditionalist like me who was a soccer fan long before MLS existed.

A lot of it is just optics not necessarily substance. For example Garber always seems bewildered anytime anyone suggests that roster rules could be more simplified and transparent. Like it's the craziest thing he's ever heard.

Anyways I'm just picking nits. Overall his work has been good ... especially in relationships with owners and municipalities. I think he does some solid political heavy lifting to move the league forward in expansion and stadium development. I don't see him as an amazing commissioner though in other areas. If he decided to move on I think the league should aim much higher today.

Someone with more global experience who could move MLS forward into the international arena. Someone who will prioritize MLS clubs in international competitions more. Someone who will push harder to find a balanced competition format that doesn't change from year to year. Get it right the first time instead of trial and error. Also someone who is more willing to integrate into the international player market norms.

The other big challenge for the next 10 years or so is to fix the franchises that still seem stuck in MLS 1.0. We need to find a way to spark more involvement from some of our absentee owners. There needs to be a stronger vision for branding and marketing IMO. This idea of just slapping FC or SC on anything to make it sound European is pretty shortsighted. There also needs to be a little stronger push to open nurture supporter culture at some of the franchises who still have overly restrictive policies.

I could go on ... point is there's a lot of work to be done to move this league forward. As far as its come it's still very much in its infancy stages. Sometimes Garber seems to play it safe IMO. I'd like to see some new blood in there that will shake things up a little.

canammj repped this.
  6. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Merritt Paulson, a guy until 2007 had no experience with soccer, is now on the USSF board. Having a soccer resume means little to the "top brass".

7. CaptainOpprobrium

Apr 16, 2006
    Eric Wynalda!

15 to 32 repped this.
  8. TomEaton

TomEaton Member

Mar 5, 2000
    Champaign, IL
    Being a "soccer guy" means pretty much what you want it to mean. Don Garber's been the head of a first-division soccer league for more than ten years, but some people say he's not a soccer guy. Somebody like me, who's a soccer fan but has never been involved in soccer in any formal capacity other than the park district, some people consider a soccer guy because without thinking about it I use words like "pitch" and "kit" instead of "field" and "uniform."

9. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    "soccer guy" isn't the first thing that springs to mind when people say "pitch and kit instead of field and uniform...

trip76 repped this.
  10. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To me, that says "smelly foreigner" or American Outlaw Hipster Douchebag

hymeskillet, TheBiff, StuTheriot and 4 others repped this.
  11. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Garber has 2 big tests this year. The CBA and the new TV deals. If both of those can be handled successfully I'd give him a vote of confidence.

TV deal especially is complicated since the new ratings momentum on NBCSN is going to raise expectations a bit. If 12 months from now there's games on FS2 in standard definition with Brian Dunseth in the booth and 25K ratings it would be hard to defend his job performance.

12. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    Don Garber has done an excellent job. He gets my vote of confidence.

Len repped this.
  13. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think people have forgotten that Garber started his sports career by trying to sell NFL to Europe. I think Garber stays, especially on the eve of launching NYC FC and Beckham's team. (I don't want to owners to settle, but I think Garber is finally starting to see some fruits of labors).

14. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    tim lieweke is the perfect fit as the next MLS CEO when don garber decides to step down- just look what he did to the Galaxy and now is doing with TFC

he has a passion for soccer, articulates his vision in exciting but concrete terms for the media and soccer supporters, has kept his word on improving the product in 2 major markets, is fully committed to growing soccer in Canada and the USA and has a solid connection with MLS owners

whenever i hear lieweke speak, i see a MLS Commissioner in the making and he would certainly be an excellent replacement whenever garber decides to move on

15. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    He would be awesome, but he is the same age as Don, so assuming Don sticks around for another 10-15 years, it wouldn't be a great fit at that point. You want a commisioner who can set a vision for at least a decade and see it through.
    Besides, Leiweke is a superstar CEO, he's probably currently making at least 5 times more than Garber's 3 mil a year, including stock options. I suspect he's outside of MLS price range.

16. Last Line of Defense

Jul 2, 2013
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like to see him continue. Can't think of anything he has done really wrong.

17. bana2166

bana2166 Member

Feb 5, 2000
    Jamaica Hills-NYCity
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    Really ....Nothing you could think that he has done wrong ....

How about the wild card in MLS Cup ? ... I rest my case .....

How about a minor league system for MLS? ........Now MLS Clubs are affiliating themselves with USLPro team but that took to long to develop

How about deviating from the plan of Soccer specific stadium and going with NFL pro style stadium in New England, Seattle and DC United ..... Now a report came out today that 22nd MLS expansion team will be place in Atlanta and they are going to share space with NFL - Atlanta falcons ...

18. Zxcv

Zxcv Member+

Feb 22, 2012
    SSS bandwagon started much later than NE and DC, even Seattle with CenturyLink going up early in the decade.

In fact Atlanta will be the first team since Vancouver to move into an NFL/CFL stadium knowing what we know about SSS. Since most poeple dont complain about Vancouver, maybe the criticism against Atlanta is unfounded.

19. bana2166

bana2166 Member

Feb 5, 2000
    Jamaica Hills-NYCity
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    Well lets keep an eye out of Minnesota United FC because if they cannot get a soccer specific stadium - they may play in the New NFL Stadium been build for Minnesota Vikings opening in year 2016/2017

Article from MLS Soccer web site ...... http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...n-garber-gives-update-leagues-expansion-plans

Meanwhile, Garber gave more details on a market he has referenced previously: the Twin Cities, where apparently the league has had talks with a potential ownership group.

“That opportunity is one that we're excited about as we believe we need more teams in the Midwest,” the Commissioner said. “I think if Minneapolis as a market that can continue to show the support that they've had for the NASL club [Minnesota United FC] and if they continue to make progress on a number of different stadium opportunities, there's a real opportunity there.”

20. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    I believe United will try to find a way to purchase the land by the Farmer's Market first and if they can't they probably play in the new Vikings stadium.

21. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Those 2 things are completely independent from each other since it's 2 different ownership groups.

Personally I don't think the Vikings bid is serious. I haven't heard anything from that camp for about 18 months. Last time I heard any real chatter was when they were still lobbying for support for their stadium plan.

22. When Saturday Comes

Apr 9, 2012
    Calgary
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yes I sure wish MLS hadn't expanded to Seattle.

superdave repped this.
  23. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    The Vikings said in a press release on their website in December they were in negotiations with tMLS.

24. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Well shit ...

Here's to those talks falling apart. Got no problem with an NFL bid when there's no other option, but that Farmer's Market stadium plan just makes the mouth water ...

25. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    No doubt!,!

If it comes through there's no doubt a MLS franchise would do well in our fair city!,,

triplet1 and Boloni86 repped this.