Small Rocks 2011-2012 Draft Analysis (and preseason transfers)

Discussion in 'Games & Fantasy' started by blech, Aug 8, 2011.

1. vegas2u

vegas2u Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    SH*T

I kicked myself out of the Small Rocks League.

Could someone PM me the league code.

Maybe this is an omen!

2. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    that's a tough break, huh? was trying to figure out how i had moved up to 7th! :D

tempting as it is to do otherwise (and grab your players), i suppose the sporting thing is to let you back in.... check your inbox

3. vegas2u

vegas2u Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Thanks Paul,
    I only have one player, but he has been a dandy. RVP forever. And recall I was questioning the pick, but you had no question, even thinking he was the number one.

I was going to blame this on a sensitive touch pad, but given the result I am starting to think there was lobo mojo involved.

4. vegas2u

vegas2u Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Posted by Blech Blech on 09 Jan 18:26

out - de gea
    in - foster - g - wba - 4.8

out - graham
    in - henry - f - ars - 7.5

too inexpensive not to take a gamble, and little to lose given my current position in the table.... :)

4 point hit

Posted by Lobo Mojo on 09 Jan 22:12

Out: Hibbert D EVE 4.8

In: Santon D NEW 4.2

Bnk: 0.6
    Free

Posted by Craig Powell on 12 Jan 2:14

Gotta get rid of this guy. He is a yellow card waiting to happen.

Out: Fellaini

In: McClean, M, SUN, 4.5

Bank: 3.5

-4, unless I go crazy and wildcard

5. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    :D Well I warned you not to drink out of the Cup marked Wiiiiiiigggguuumm.....

but now that you picked McClean I may make a special Vegas Cup....paging Lebo-Lebo and his special bag...hoped to pick him up next game week after having to cover the two defender injuries this week

6. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    i was kind of thinking that Vegas wouldn't be able to post anymore this week since he's still waiting to join the league. teach me to give him the code to get back into the league. i had half an eye on a move for McClean this evening myself, so that should be good enough to curse Vegas even more than anything Lobo's whipped up!

7. tarvinodos

tarvinodos Member+

Jul 17, 2008
    Long Beach, CA
    Well Rockville had the dream double gameweek with Assou's. Must of had a much better time than I watching that match. I just saw Ade smiling all the time but atleast Pavi onside snafu will keep his starting position.

Will give Rockville the gold a little later in the FO but for now great job.

8. vegas2u

vegas2u Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Posted by Craig Powell on 13 Jan 19:19

Too tough to keep.

Out: Smalling

In: Williamson, D, NEW, 4.2

Bank: Getting bigger again

Will probably use a wildcard, but still thinking.

Posted by Craig Powell on 13 Jan 19:46

It is official. Used the wildcard.

Out: Warnock

In: Dawson, D, TOT, 5.2

Bank: 4.2

Might be one more, so get yours in early!

9. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    As predicted to Dr Heckle there goes the 2nd half of next week's projected swoop, and just as my third defenders goes down this week, if you see blue smoke coming your way, inhale deeply Vegas it is harmless...

10. Ingromius

Ingromius Member

Feb 3, 2000
    NW London
    Was just on the verge of completing my annual illegal transfer, a swoop for Stevie G. I'm sure Blech wouldn't have minded.

Having skipped it, I can move later for Van Persie :D

11. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    hands off! :D

12. vegas2u

vegas2u Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Posted by Coach Wiggum on 14 Jan 0:01

OUT: Heitinga, Everton, Def, 5.2
    IN: Savic, Man City, Def, 4.6

Posted by Craig Powell on 14 Jan 1:12

Apparently I am the only one who thinks Kuyt is the best replacement for Suarez. The pundits have CARROLL! Who knows what Kenny will do.

Out: Kuyt

In: Ireland, M, AVL, 5.6

Bank: 8.0

That should be enough bank for any transfer target.

13. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. I could use the help since this has not been a straightforward season so far with too many usually reliable players imploding and some large price drops killing my team value. Lucky I picked Silva and Dempsey or I'd be looking at certain relegation.

How the hell does Bent go from Mr. Reliable to scoring worse than Helguson? I expected some drop off because of their midfield issues but nothing like this. I had similar luck with Odemwingie (2 goals before I dropped him at Thanksgiving and on pace to barely get over 100 for the season after 171 last season) and don't get me started on Kenwyne Jones (1 goal for a forward who got over 100pt last 4 seasons and now will need good form and unlikely starts to get half that by the end of this season). Picking up Klasnic (1 goal for me) when I went back and forth between him and Yakubu just a few days before the latter scores 4 goals (7 in total since this poor choice) didn't help. Of course I got to take Balotelli who is great when he plays except of course for the red and yellow cards. Shame he can't seem to play more than a handful of games before going off his meds again. ;)

My midfield has been better (Silva, Dempsey, and Larsson) but Valencia did his part to kill my team value while giving me just 5pt after 8 gameweeks. I drop him and he then gets 50pt for the next 12 gameweeks. Ouch. I had similar luck with Jarvis who scored 20pt in the first two weeks but then never got above 3pt again until the week after I dropped him. Lost .4 value for the two of them and Jarvis went from plus .4 to -.2 while I had him. Not good.

Defense is a bit of a mixed bag. Hughes went from a guy that got 3000 minutes and over 110pt each season to 16pt for 470min so far. Cost me .4value since I kept him way too long. Kept getting 90min Prem and Europa cup games right before I was ready to drop him. Easily my worst mistake since dropping injured Rooney too soon a few seasons ago. Agger got me 1CS in 6games but at least I grabbed Skrtel to get that run of Pool CS. Evra worked out well. Bosingwa started off as a 14th round steal with 32pt in first 6 games but then fell apart with no more than 2pt in any week and a red card. Gabbidon was a unlucky choice. Managed to score an own goal in GW1 and then shipped out. Assou-Ekotto was a good pickup for me.

I had the best scoring keeper pair with Krul and Begovic early on but then Begovic forgot how to play and got benched. Hennessey came in and while not reaching the heights Begovic got to early on he has been better than expected.

Anybody else want to share your (slightly past) mid season thoughts on your draft and transfers?

14. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    My thoughts on the first half of the season --- I'm glad it's over, and can't wait to get on with the rest of the second half!!!

Perhaps no surprise given that I'm sitting in relegation position, but only 6 of my original 15 are still with me, and 2 of those 6 were booted out for a bit before being brought back in. I'm feeling the bite of price drops. I had a nice spell in gw9-11 or so when VDV and others were rising and I almost got back to 100.0, but have since seen a drastic drop to 98.5. Naively, I continue to look at the group that I have and feel like it is solid and should allow me to claw my way from the cellar to safety. Fortunately, the race remains tight, but I suspect that captaincy decisions will end up being the deciding factor and can see many a tough decision for me between VDV and Stevie G. But tough decisions will be better than not having one or both available due to injury.

In terms of the draft itself, everyone need look no further than Gareth Bale, not taken until the last pick in the 3rd round. Yep, if you don't have him, you had three chances and passed on him each time. 117 points and a 1.4 price increase so far. Not bad.

On the transfer side of it, it's still too early for me to assess. Hoilett and Bendtner have done admirably given the cost, making up for the loss of Gyan and allowing me to proceed with cheap forwards for the season. Perhaps not a recipe for great success, but it eases the burden of the price losses elsewhere to get some inexpensive production. Meanwhile, I grabbed Gerrard very early and will see in the coming weeks if that's been worth the wait, and took a second gamble on a Gary Cahill transfer that looks like it may come good this time with latest news being positive even if not active this weekend.

Now, if only Henry is the version from the early 2000s and not the recent Red Bulls edition.....

15. glorydaze

glorydaze Member+

Liverpool FC
    Apr 5, 2007
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I'm glad to be the lucky lad to have picked up Bale at the end of the 3rd round. Equally happy to have hung on to Sessegnon (#6) when he got off to an anemic start. Picks 1 (Hernandez) and 2 (Carroll) were non-productive. 4 (Vidic) and 5 (Brunt) let go to long term injuries. 10 of my original 15 are history. I had a fortunate pick up with RTaylor but now he appears to have possibly run his course. My defenders need reworking. I'm ordering up more smoke and mirrors for the 2nd half and hoping to beat Vegas to a key transfer or two:rolleyes:.

16. tarvinodos

tarvinodos Member+

Jul 17, 2008
    Long Beach, CA
    Sasha Juniors
    Out:
    Holt FW NOR 4.9
    In:
    Graham FW SWA 4.7
    Bank: 1.6

17. glorydaze

glorydaze Member+

Liverpool FC
    Apr 5, 2007
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glorydaze

Out:
    Osman M EVE 6.7
    In:
    Sigurdsson M SWA 5.0

free/ bank: 6.7

18. vegas2u

vegas2u Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Posted by Craig Powell on 20 Jan 16:45

Still too many red/yellow dots.

Out: Samba

In: Young, D, QPR, 4.9

Bank: Even more (for the record, 8.5)

Earlier,

Posted by Ali Dia on 19 Jan 0:40

out
    Gervinho F ARS 8.9

in
    Best F NEW 4.6

bank 4.6

19. tarvinodos

tarvinodos Member+

Jul 17, 2008
    Long Beach, CA
    Do you have a dream for what all that moolah is going to buy you?

20. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    he's got the South Korean cloning doctors (google it if you didn't read the story) working on a Henry-CRonaldo-Lampard hybrid who plays as an out-of-position midfielder with PK duties. the procedure is illegal in almost every country in the world, so it certainly doesn't come cheap.

21. tarvinodos

tarvinodos Member+

Jul 17, 2008
    Long Beach, CA
    Sasha Juniors

Out: Graham FW SWA 4.7
    In: Keane FW AVL 5.0

22. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Out : Coloccini D NEW 5.0

In: Smalling D MUN 5.3

Bank: 0.3
    free

23. glorydaze

glorydaze Member+

Liverpool FC
    Apr 5, 2007
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glorydaze

Sorry to let Hernandez go but I can't keep him if he isn't going to play. Ferdinand is just one injury after another.

Out:
    Hernandez F MU 9.9
    Ferdinand D MU 6.4
    In:
    Zamora F FU 6.6
    J, Evans D MU 4.5

-.4 at the moment/ bank in dbl digits (just for you Vegas:D)

24. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Evans categorically refuses your heavy-handed tapping up efforts and pledges his future to ColdDogSoup FC

25. glorydaze

glorydaze Member+

Liverpool FC
    Apr 5, 2007
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not what his transfer request suggests;)

Evans summarily removed.
    Riise F FUL is in.

Wildcard played. bank: 10.7