SKC vs FCD 3/15 7:30pm CST p/i/p [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by ji_shuheng, Mar 13, 2014.

1. ji_shuheng

ji_shuheng Member+

Mar 26, 2003
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do we rest starters ahead of CCL midweek? Is Myers back yet? MLS has him listed as questionable, but Nags and Sinovic are listed as questionable as well.

My guess at a line up, w/subs:

CJ(Zizzo)-Dom (Bieler)-Zusi
    Benny(Olum)
    Uri-Lopez
    Sinovic-Collin-Besler-Ellis
    EK

2. shawnvb

shawnvb Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Missouri
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am thinking that we will rest some of our starters since we are playing a Western conference team, and with a trip to Mexico City coming up. Maybe give guys like Medranda and Lopez a chance to impress.

aletheist repped this.
  3. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    at this point, i'm willing to 100% sacrifice this game to rest every single player that vermes plans on starting next wed, whomever that is. that game is at a higher altitude than denver and has a very high level of smog. we're going to need our guys to still be playing well and energized in the 85th minute and beyond. those players should not be playing a few days earlier as they're going to need every bit of energy they can muster over this week.

to hell with dallas. we can still win.

4. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yup. Result against Dallas doesn't really matter. Any kind of points we can pick up are a bonus. Rest the starters and see what your depth can do. All that matters is Wednesday.

5. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I would doubt Benny or Ellis play. I dunno. Kevin looked absolutely exhausted at the end of yesterday's game. Considering he appears to have filled into the number 2 right back spot, I expect they'd want to save him.

In a lot of cases, I wonder how much it will be about saving players for Wednesday more than resting them from yesterday. Blasphemous as it might seem, I'd want to see Zusi and Bieler rested for sure.

6. ji_shuheng

ji_shuheng Member+

Mar 26, 2003
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    medranda and jerome, then?

7. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The only two starters I think are certain for Saturday are Collin and Sinovic - Collin since he didn't play yesterday and Sinovic since he won't be playing next Wednesday. Outside of that, our guys are going to need the rest.

8. ji_shuheng

ji_shuheng Member+

Mar 26, 2003
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    kronberg.

9. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Any particular reason Grunenbaum can't start? I know keepers don't need a lot of rest, but we've got two virtually interchangeable GKs. Although, I guess we don't know if Vermes sees them as interchangeable yet.

10. aletheist

aletheist Member+

Nov 17, 2010
    Olathe, Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This seems like the perfect opportunity for the reserves, including Gruenebaum, to play 90 minutes (or close to it).

Gruenebaum
    Jerome - Collin - Opara - Sinovic
    Medranda - Olum - Lopez
    Zizzo - Dwyer - Saad​

Heck, if Toni gets his ITC in time, start him on the left and Saad on the right, rather than Zizzo. My main question about this lineup is: Who gets the armband? Collin, maybe?!

11. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah, Collin for sure gets the armband in that lineup.

12. ji_shuheng

ji_shuheng Member+

Mar 26, 2003
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PV said publicly the starting job was kronberg's to lose, and he doesn't need to be rested. no reason it couldn't be grunenbaum or kempin, especially if the field players are mostly from the deep end of the bench, but it's not like kronberg needs to be rested, either.

if we are resting people, might we see olum at CB?

13. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Right, but that doesn't necessarily mean that Kronberg is going to play every single game in every single competition.

14. Sparks27

Sparks27 Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Kronberg
    Myers-Collin-Besler-Sinovic
    Olum-?
    ?
    Peterson-Dwyer-Zizzo

That would be my guess

15. aletheist

aletheist Member+

Nov 17, 2010
    Olathe, Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that Myers gets another day off to heal up for Mexico City. Peterson will probably start down there (defensive forward), and he seems to be having some trouble going 90 minutes so far, so he might also be rested.

16. Lebowski

Lebowski BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 23, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    SKC needs to be careful around the box. FCD scored 3, including one on a PK that on what looked to me to be an iffy call/dive. It wasn't even Perez.

17. MuddyPitch

MuddyPitch Member

Jun 14, 2008
    Liberty
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kronberg needs as much time as possible behind his defense to start building chemistry and communication. Would love to see the Collin/Opara pairing, but are you going to keep the new captain off the field for the home opener? I guess with a shot to get through to the CCL semis, maybe you do...

18. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My expectation (and will be put on Knoda later for you to all vote against):

Myers Collin Besler Sinovic
    Rosell
    Medranda?
    Zusi
    Zizzo Dwyer Saad

That's dependent on Myers being healthy enough.

I felt like Rosell and Zusi could actually use a few more touches in a competitive game before Wednesday and Myers could use the time for the same reason. Besler will only miss minutes if he's hurt or with the national team.

I expect Peterson, Bieler and Sapong to start in Mexico.

MuddyPitch repped this.
  19. SportingKCFan

SportingKCFan Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I hope Peterson does not start in Mexico. He was fine in 2012, but has shown little since. We need to score a goal this Wednesday and I don't think JP adds anything to that quest.

20. Ihateusernames

May 16, 2007
    Merriam, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I personally wouldn't worry about Zusi and Besler not starting. Aren't they probably about the fittest two on the team? If this took place mid-season I could see a rest but not right now. Plus, like already mentioned, home opener and all.

Though, at some point we should get some practice without Zusi since we know how much our offense suffered last year without him but I'm not sold that it's something to do for 90 minutes and right now.

21. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be shocked if he doesn't start, we'll play similar to what we did at Houston in the playoffs last year.

As for Kronberg, I say start him, build his confidence with more consecutive starts.

As for resting I'd consider Besler, Zusi, and Ellis, those 3 have played 180 mins in 4 days. Ellis especially he was gassed

22. KopRules

KopRules Member+

May 31, 2011
    Beautiful South KC
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    My thoughts exactly.

And, I may be running out of mids, but I'd sit Naga for Dallas too. Possibly Uri too.

If so, I'll be curious some of the fan and mainstream media reaction to not seeing Besler and Zusi at the Opener.

(Might need to bump the Jack Harry thread...!)

23. Luke Campbell

Luke Campbell Member

May 16, 2013
    Liberty
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    THIS. The possibility of seeing Jack Harry feign frustration over something he (1) doesn't care about and (2) doesn't understand excites me greatly. His idiotic rant over the Kamara transfer is still one of the most unintentionally funny things I've seen.

But yeah, back on topic: the home opener aspect of this means we will see some of the usual suspects (at least for a little while). Not that I like it, but...

24. Formulaic

Formulaic Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope Saad plays. I always thought he and Bieler worked well together, I want them up front for Wednesday if Soony can show well this weekend if given the chance

Not to mention none of the other outside forwards have impressed me much yet this young season.

25. jtreg

jtreg Member

Aug 16, 2010
    State of denial
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be a little surprised to see Saad considering he wasn't at training camp at all. I really have no idea what we'll see Saturday but I'll enjoy seeing our "depth" try and knock off a rising Dallas.