SKC @ Colorado 3/29 5:00 PM P/I/P [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Sachsen, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First game for Sporting after a full week's rest. Hopefully Myers is back and ready to go, in which case our entire first choice lineup should be available.

The Rapids have started well, tying the Red Bulls in New York, and beating Portland at home 2-0 last week.

Weather is supposed to be nice, in the 60s.

My guess at the lineup:

----Sapong----Bieler------Zusi----
    --------------Feilhaber-------------
    -------Rosell--------Nagamura----
    --Sinovic--Besler--Collin--Myers--
    --------------Kronberg-------------

2. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see Zizzo starting, a younger, little more skilled Jacob Peterson that Vermes likes on the road.

And 700+ traveling Cauldron

3. jtreg

jtreg Member

Aug 16, 2010
    State of denial
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad we don't have Teal on a super short term loan for this game. That kid just scores goals ... against Colorado.

4. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'll be there. Colorado looks like a team we can score on.

5. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt we lose. A tie is definitely possible. This COULD be a breakout game - we get one of those 3-0 blowouts from time to time. But 1-1 or 1-0 is the most likely scenario.

6. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I can't think of the last road game Sporting dominated. Was there even one they won by two goals last year?

7. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only once, the season opener at Philly, a 3-1 victory. We did have several other games last year when we scored 3+ goals but they were all at home.

So you're right, a dominant victory on the road is not very likely. Which is why I said 1-0 win or 1-1 is the most likely scenario.

8. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While we don't bunker on the road by any means, we do play a tad more conservatively.

That said, we've scored 2 the last two times we were there. I'd much prefer a 2-0 than the 2-2 that we got after being up 2-0 w/in 15 minutes.

9. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember traveling to CO in 2011. Terrible start to the season with all the road games. There couldn't have been more than 200 people in our section to witness Ryan Smith's wonder goal that salvaged a draw and started to turn the season around. Now over 700 fans are traveling. The growth of the support for this club is astounding.

10. jtreg

jtreg Member

Aug 16, 2010
    State of denial
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I took the same trip. A draw never felt so good but man, that "bus" felt like a hot death trap.

11. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is astounding. The Seattle fans were impressed by how many people we had there and remarked the only clubs that sent more were the Cascadia teams which are within easy driving distance. I remember the first game SKC ever played after the rebranding at the Home Depot Center vs Chivas. We only had about 25 people there. Things have indeed changed. I am looking forward to the game Saturday with 700 supporters around me. We just passed Hays on our way out there.

12. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think with everyone we were closer to 40 in LA for the first game

13. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, could have been. Either way, there were not many of us compared to the numbers of people traveling for games now. We only had about 30 at the opening game the next year in DC at RFK stadium.

14. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, I went to the last game of 2011 at RFK and I wouldn't have gone to that stadium if I wasn't going to be there otherwise.

Now, when they get their new place, I could consider it... but man, RFK is... not good. I honestly feel bad for those who live in DC and have had to deal with that place for as long as they have. Props to them all for suffering through it.

15. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right, RFK is a dump. DC United deserves better. I hope the Buzzard Point proposal goes forward quickly so they can build their own place.

16. KC96

KC96 Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    To me, the most interesting player on the field Saturday will be Benny Feilhaber. Benny was not selected for the USMNT 23 against MEX on Apr 2. I thought Benny had a good chance to be selected, but was not surprised either at his exclusion. Reading comments on many other forums, I'm apparently not alone in this opinion.

Going off my theory that Benny's recent form was very motivated by the prospect of a World Cup, (and given Benny's career history of being exceptional when motivated, and fairly bad when not) I'm curious to see what this "snub" (if you can call it that) does to Benny's attitude.

Without mind-reading, we can't see Benny's attitude directly of course - but I think we will see it somewhat expressed in his play/passion on the field, which quite honestly, has been other-worldly good this year (and even in last year's playoffs) by his standards.

Maybe Benny keeps crushing it, or maybe he disappears. If he crushes it, there could be several motives (and some or all of them could apply):
    1) He's still trying to fight for that WC spot even though the odds look longer than ever
    2) He's finally become a professional and/or now finds the joy in playing to his best "just because"
    3) He's accepted he won't go, but he wants to prove everyone wrong

If he disappears, it could be:
    1) "old Benny" (the one the NE Revs fans didn't like) is re-appearing, and the non-motivated, sometimes sulking player returns
    2) Could just be an off game - he's played a lot lately.

Anyways, Benny is the guy I'm watching closest - those of you attending in person will be seeing more of him (especially off the ball) then I will on TV, so I'd be very curious as to your observations as well.

17. Oobers

Oobers Member+

Oct 17, 2011
    Boise
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Thing is "old Benny" doesn't see the field, as we saw last year. That ought to be enough motivation. Did "old Benny" ever get benched for New England?

18. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    benny's a professional, and if he's worth his salt, he'll keep playing like he has a chance until he REALLY doesn't have a chance... which is late may. there's always injuries, and he has to realize (which i'm sure he does) that not making this squad isn't a death sentence for his wc hopes.

19. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, I still expect him to be on the 30 man preliminary roster at least.

20. Lebowski

Lebowski BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 23, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    That was my first MLS match. My wife and I rode to the game from the British Bulldog with the PID group. This was the first season of "Sporting" and they gave us hell on the bus, but it was all in good fun. We drank their beer and rolled with it. I'm all primed for my first match and then Collin has a poor pass that Casey gets pass Jimmy. I was thinking, "this is gonna be a long season", but then Smith got the equalizer. I've been hooked ever since. I wish I were going this weekend, but I promised my wife that I'd do a 5k.

As for the match, hopefully the goal drought comes to an end.

21. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Saad didn't travel. He'll be at Johnny's tomorrow.

22. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So neither one of these teams has scored a goal from the run of play...

4 PKs, and 1 corner.

23. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    At least SKC has two from the CCL matches. As sour as some of those memories might be.

Is Saad injured? I can't believe he wouldn't even be able to make the 18. Gotta think the versatility of being able to play either wing or attacking forward would count for something, especially as, if you ask me, he's better at it than Sapong or Peterson.

24. aletheist

aletheist Member+

Nov 17, 2010
    Olathe, Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saad is injured and in the doghouse for aggravating it by playing for Lebanon. I would not be surprised to see Toni make his MLS debut as a late sub.

25. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1 in the CCL, Feilhaber's was off a short corner, I count that as a set piece too, not in the run of play.