Sir Alex Ferguson to retire

Discussion in 'Everton' started by Rocket, May 8, 2013.

1. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will be nice to see the EPL's biggest whiner leave the sidelines.

But unfortunately Moyes is the favorite to replace him.

Hopefully Moyes' failure to lead Everton to a Cup will sway Man United to pick someone else to lead their team.

If Everton lose Moyes I have a feeling we'll be looking at mid-table (or worse) finishes for the Toffees for the foreseeable future.

2. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry but without David Moyes Everton is f-ed.

3. spider_kin

spider_kin Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 8, 1999
    Iowa
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    losing moyes might be the shock needed for the board to get off their asses and get us investment.

that being said, relegation is a huge possibility. without moyes refusing to sell players, our team may be decimated to "raise funds" and the players would be stupid not to jump at a chance for higher wages/top four finish/CL or Europa cup games.

this has been coming on for years now - any one who doesn't believe that is living in kool-aid land. I love Everton but we're in trouble.:/ gonna be a tough few years from here on out.

4. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is trouble, I believe. While it may be a helpful shock to find some serious investments, I think we're in for a rough ride for a while. Rumor (blog post on front page of BS) has the announcement of Moyes' appointment to be tomorrow, the 9th.....guess we'll see what happens when!

If he does leave, I'll get my chance to see what he can do with a big squad and big funds - the downside of that is the shirts will be wrong.

5. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I got the feeling the players really like/trust Moyes, too, and that was a big reason many stayed. This really sucks...so anxiety-provoking.

It seems Everton pays fair wages, so there's still a shot if they can find a good replacement. But if someone has a couple bad years of transfers...there could be real trouble.

6. Aztattooedsean777

Aztattooedsean777 Tattooed Football Fanatic

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I would guess Martinez would be one of those rumored to come to Everton. Who else would be possible candidates?

7. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Martinez and coming to the Blues would be a step up for him - not sure how payroll compares between Wigan and Everton. Clearly we have more talent than the Latics....

Other ideas? Is a Championship side manager a possibility? Anyone hungry and tough enough to deal with such a limited budget?

8. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Anyone else drinking bleach cos they have no confidence in the board to choose a good candidate?

9. spider_kin

spider_kin Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 8, 1999
    Iowa
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    isn't martinez the guy who has now relegated TWO EPL teams? he is not the man for the job IMO. he'll have less funds and a ********ed up board. of course Moyes' team will hopefully stay mostly in tact but who knows.

only a huge shock is going to get the board off their asses but I really hate seeing my blues do badly. I'm so torn!!

10. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    You'll likely get ~45m in from the sales of Fellaini, Baines, and Heitinga.
    You'll also have to replace Neville.
    You'll have Oviedo step into the LB role full-time. And you'd have 20-30m to spend in transfer fees on the 3-5 players that your squad will need.
    Who is the man to lead you guys onwards? I haven't a clue.

11. spider_kin

spider_kin Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 8, 1999
    Iowa
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    on a different note, I'm sorta worried for moyes. the man u fans will be expecting him to pick up where SAF has left off, I don't think he will be able to adjust right away. I wonder how long they will give him if he loses the first game or two... will they chop him after only 6-8 games? will they give him a full season? It will be interesting to see what he can do with a real transfer budget, and some of the worlds best players. It's time to rise or fall and all up to him really. no more "thin squad" to blame no more "we couldn't get players in, even though we have so many injuries" etc.

12. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least Moyes is likely to get a bit of time at Man United to get the team running well. A season at least, I'd think, unless Man United is fighting for a Champions League spot at the beginning of 2014.

Moving to Chelsea would have been a suicidal move for him career-wise.

13. Footy Magoo

Footy Magoo Audaces fortuna iuvat

Mar 23, 2009
    ♫ Flugelville
    Moyes has done more with less than anybody in England. Any ManU fan who worries about him not winning any trophies or thinks he can only play with one striker must have trouble with logic.

14. spider_kin

spider_kin Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 8, 1999
    Iowa
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    well they are man u fans :p

MrPerfectNot repped this.
  15. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FA Cup Finals: Martinez 1, Moyes 1
    FA Cup Champions: Martinez 1, Moyes 0

Hmmmm.

17. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't get too excited, that Man City team could have given two sh!ts out on that field, they know that Mancini is gone and they're locked into 2nd place, I'm glad that Wigan won but I don't think that Martinez is half the coach that Moyes is.
    The fact of the matter is that David Moyes is the type of coach that a player will run thru a brick wall for, the guy has always had his teams ready to play.
    I really hope for Everton's case that they do well under Martinez but I just don't see it.
    People get excited that they'll be gaining some funds this offseason, only problem is that you're still getting rid of two terrific players in Baines (who's very important in the locker room), Fellaini (who's a real physical presence) and Heitinga who always does a very solid job.
    To think those guys are easily replaced is insane.
    Those funds may go to some turd like Andy Carroll.