Side of body tightness/pain?

Discussion in 'Player' started by phoenixhazard, Apr 22, 2014.

1. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been having this problem for almost 9 months now and figured i'd turn to my fellow soccer players to see if anyone has ever had this problem. 9 months ago I was playing and swiped at a ball and missed stupidly and fell on my side pretty hard. Didn't feel anything but later in the game I had to get off the pitch bc of knee pain. Had patella tendonitis and a month later i had severe lower back pain and was diagnosed with si joint syndrome. All of that has healed but ever since then I have been having a tightness feeling on the right side of my abdomen, almost touching the bottom of my ribs and down to my hips. I was told it was QL tightness from compensation and through PT I have tried to work it out. Nothing has changed and I have tried massage, acupuncture, chiropractic work. It's still the same tightness feeling all the time, worse in the car. I can bicycle just fine but when I tried to play soccer I almost felt like I was using that tight muscle and was worried to hurt myself worse.

Any ideas or thoughts on previous experience like this? Thanks

2. Rebaño_Sagrado

Rebaño_Sagrado Member+

May 21, 2006
    Home
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Check with a doctor to make sure you are ok.

Then, if you have medical clearance, I would begin a stretching program and light exercise.

Also, do self myofacial release aka foam rolling -

http://www.performbetter.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/PBOnePieceView?storeId=10151&pagename=91
    more exercises

3. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah thats pretty much exactly what I have been doing for the past 9 months. Been to quite a few docs too and they keep saying all i need is PT... sigh

nice video though ;)

4. Nero935

Nero935 Red Card

Jul 23, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    quit football

5. ImpurestClub

ImpurestClub New Member

Jul 21, 2014
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Zamalek Sporting Club
    I know you've mentioned you've been stretching etc. for the last 9 months, but have you tried yoga? I started doing it just 15 minutes a day and it's made a world of difference in terms of my flexibility. If you have an iPhone/iPad there's an amazing app called Yoga Studio that will walk you through a full routine (I'd start with one of the 15 minute beginner sessions).

phoenixhazard repped this.
  6. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    actually I was doing yoga and it helped a ton! I stopped because life got hectic and decided a few weeks after I stopped to run on the treadmill for 20min, huge mistake. The pain/tightness came back like it was originally. I started doing yoga again and it helps but its so darn expensive. I will definitely look into the app you mentioned, thanks!

7. AirbornePhoto

AirbornePhoto Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    drink more water.