Sick of all the Italian hating

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Fabio Grosso 2006, Jun 29, 2013.

1. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Yes Irish with Italian family, mums parents are Italian. So what if the OP is Australian? Thats not the point really. If you watch many world cup videos on youtube you will read a lot of negative comments from them due to a legi pen. They should stick to Aussie rules and STFU ;)

2. FORZA NAPOLI <3

FORZA NAPOLI <3 BigSoccer Yellow Card

May 27, 2013
    Land down under!
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    cause you said has the OP ever seen Australia soccer lol, lol no shit, I see this stuff everyday

3. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Italian Hating (Why?)

2 main reasons:

1. Because of the mentality with which they approached games. Not any more, but in the past Italian teams (looking at last 30 years) were quite happy to take the lead and then allow the opposition control of possession and the tempo of the match, electing to try and hit teams on the counter. So the wash up of it was that Italy would win matches but usually by only narrow margins, and often the opposition (often vastly inferior in stature and reputation) would have the majority of possession and chances.

2. Because they won matches and were successful playing the style in point 1 and that frustrated opposition fans and commentators alike. Putting yourself in their shoes one of the most frustrating things as a fan is when you outplay an opponent but you lose. Very few fans watch football to appreciate the tactical aspect of it, and so the perception of many fans would be that Italy don't "deserve" accolades because they don't dominate and score 3 and 4 nils. What they don't appreciate and fail to give credit for is the fact that all these years later so many national teams and club sides are aping that "counter-attacking" approach.

4. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    #54 Calcio Pauly, Nov 20, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
    I don't really care if opposition fans are frustrated! They should be. It should be hard to score on us and if this team can finish better and add needed midfield defensive duties, they will be hard to beat again and frustrate opposition fans again. Glorious!!!

As for the commentators, fans should get into the habit of muting them. Then we wouldn't need to hear them Parrott the regular idiotic things that commentators repeat.

Having a bit more possession doesn't automatically mean you have outplayed the opposition. You still have to beat them. If the oppositions defense is impenetrable, there's a certain aspect in which they have outplayed you.

Agree with that! Current Brazil are a perfect example of a team that plays very tight and organized in their end and hits with fast counter attacks. The confed version only really differed from old school Italian teams with the color of their jersey.

The real reason was the success. Italian teams were feared and hard to beat, and people find ways to hate that.

I don't care what Prandelli experiments with in friendlies as long as Scipio and the soldiers arrive at the real battle.

FORZA NAPOLI <3 repped this.
  5. FORZA NAPOLI <3

FORZA NAPOLI <3 BigSoccer Yellow Card

May 27, 2013
    Land down under!
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    When people are frustrated it means that they are angry and jealous. Italy is a tournament team, we have blue tops, which means we are sexy hahaha

Forza Italia!

6. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    If there is anything that gli Azzurri have been guilty of, it is not having a killer instinct. We take a lead and continue to play our game, not pushing forward more ahead to add to our goal tally. Most times, it works. On some occasions it has not. If anyone has read comments of players who have joined Serie A in the last year or two, the common thread is the tactics of the league are much more complex than where they came from. I can tell you that recent additions for Juve who came from England and Spain have made that comment. And their comments were not directed at Juve only but Serie A in general. Other players have stated the same. Tactical awareness has usually been a trademark of the Italy NT. I don't know if that is the same today.

La Magica repped this.
  7. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I really hope it is. Your last comment that is.

8. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I think we have fantastic players who have carried our coach. You will see my response on the other thread. The quality of the game in general has gotten worse in my opinion. Too much emphasis on athleticism, not enough on understanding the game. That is across the world. I don't think many of the stars of the past would get through in today's game. But it is not as if today's players are anywhere near their quality.

9. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Athleticism is through the roof these days true. Better training, drugs and the overall evolution of the game. When fitness starts to suffer late in games, I still see the teams/players with ball skills and possession take control. Someone mentioned that Italy looked really fit in the last game vs Nigeria. I thought so too. Not a typical trademark of Italian teams.

10. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    It is November. It is not as if Prandelli could use his usual August/September excuses. What I hate hearing from Prandelli and even from some players recently (the shithead is brainwashing them) is the lack of time to train and prepare his team. This is not club ball. Get rid of that mentality.

11. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    When Lippi took over in 04 he actually lobbied for more time to train with the players. I think it was granted. Prandelli has asked for the same. Does anyone know if he had been given any more time? You're right though. Most other national teams, and definitely the European teams are all in the same boat... so it's no excuse.

12. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I understand asking for it. I hate whining about it. I think even Sirigu made a comment about it. A keeper?

13. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Do you remember if Lippi actually got it or not? I think he had a bit more time before the tournaments, but if I'm not mistaken so did Prandelli before Euro 2012... either way... Ya stop whining about it already. Every other team is in the same situation.

14. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  15. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Prandelli's whining has to do with the international weeks. He keeps saying he does not have enough time to work tactics with players. Before the tournaments, they get their players. He wants to revolutionize the damn thing if he could. Just what club football owners are so willing to do.

16. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Your post is summed up perfectly by the game v England at the euro's. Total domination that lacked the deserving scoreline. Technically and tactically above them. Even though the league does'nt have the biggest stars anymore as a whole it's still very strong because so much detail goes into every match and it's very rare to see total walkovers.

There is still very good talent around the league's who even though they might not be the biggest names could go to a league like England and stand out.

The average fanboy bases quality on goals and excitement, that's all well and good but when I go to a game I like to see professionals play like them. Not like headless chickens

The shift to power and speed is not for me but Italy still have enough talent to take on such teams and come out on top..
    Baggio put it nicely a few years ago when he questioned the direction it was going, saying a player like sissoko would not have made it in serie c 20 years ago, at the time he was playing for you!

Calcio Pauly repped this.
  17. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Roma has had decades of players unfit for Serie C.

18. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    You really are a phat if you took that as an insult and way out if context. This is not the rivalry thread, grow up or kindly fcuk of son

19. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Just a fact.

20. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    A wonderful insight into what was being discussed.