Show me the money - Other teams (that aren't as rich as us) thread.

Discussion in 'Manchester City' started by MVF, Sep 18, 2008.

1. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Well, to kick off the very first (that i know of) other teams thread in Man City Bigsoccer history, is this the greatest thing that Rednose has contributed to society ?

[​IMG]

I think so, i laugh every time i see it.

And on other fronts, Hughes has retailiated after Schusters "mediocre club comment".

From MUEN

Hughes blast at Madrid

CITY chief Mark Hughes has blasted the assertion that Robinho has joined a `mediocre' club.

The claim that the Blues' £32.5m British record signing had lowered his sights came from the Brazilian's former coach at Real Madrid, Bernd Schuster.

But, on the eve of the UEFA Cup tie with AC Omonia in Cyprus, where Robinho (pictured) will make his second City start, Hughes laughed off the suggestion and promised the German would change his tune in two years.

"Bernd is obviously a little bit emotional about the situation. He's lost one of his better players," reckoned the Blues' boss.

"No-one goes to a club like Real Madrid and takes their best players away without them being able to do anything about it. But we did and that was a real statement of our intent.

"Bernd is obviously going to be upset. And sometimes when players leave a club, managers feel they need to leave a little bit on those players to make themselves feel better and maybe that is what has happened at Real. I know for a fact that he didn't want to lose him.

"Robinho certainly doesn't think he has come to a club that is going to be mid-table for the next few years. He has come to a club that is going places.

"Maybe in a couple of years we will have forced Bernd to change his view. But deep down I think he knows what is happening here."

CITY'S £210m takeover has been delayed by a last minute negotiations but is expected to go through before the team gets back from Cyprus."

It involves other team's, so therefore applicable.

2. thecitizen

thecitizen Member

Sep 29, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like how Hughes, a former United hero, has really taken to the City struggle and he seems to earnestly know what he is aiming for at the club and how to achieve it.

I'm hoping a Uefa Cup in our first year will be our statement of intent.

3. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Yeah, Thakshin has really found the perfect guy for us atm. In the end, after all the crap he put us through with the exile, money troubles etc ... This all wouldn't be possible without him, we really are indebted to the bloke.

In other teams news .. 1-1 after halftime in Villa's UEFA clash with Litex Lovich (great name) .. Villa have been pathetic .. but still in it somehow. Should be 2-0 down.

4. CityBlues

CityBlues Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Villa look way better in 2nd half pull out 3-1 win.

5. CityBlues

CityBlues Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Liege and Everton in a good battle 2-2 right now.

6. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    O'Neill would of given them an absolute spray IMO.

Tottenham won 2-1 as well, Bent scoring the winner. I like him, good player .. Tottenham fans seem to hate him though !

And Portsmouth won 2-0 at home, Diarra and Defoe scoring for them against Guihermes (sp?).

Anyone here who reckons that the UEFA cup can at times be better than the Champions League ? I know all the good players want to play in the CL .. but from a fan's perspective .. More goals, More excitement and high-scoring matches. I have no proof to back this up of course ;), just a feeling.

7. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    He's also a Chelsea hero. :p Grew up supporting them too. Also, a certain Matt Busby played for you guys. Funny ol' game eh?

As for a UEFA Cup, it'll get a tad more difficult when some of the CL sides enter it.

Nice title by the way.

8. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got some dinner at a local bar last night, and they were showing the replay of this game. Even with the presence of two important USA players (Howard of Everton and Onyewu of Liege), it was startling to see a non-World Cup game in an ordinairy American place.

9. CityBlues

CityBlues Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a good match wasn't it? Yobo was unlucky with that own goal, god that was a bad clearance. It was really cool to see two Americans, from two different leagues in Europe, playing in one of Europes most prestigious tournaments.

10. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Very imagintative title, i know. But if you've got it flaunt it.... (and it pisses off troll's :D)

Anyways .. Looking forward to Valencia's game tonight. I love watching them play .. Biased, second team as all but they are capable of playing amazing fluent football at times .. I just hope that Emery (sp?) is better than Koeman .. What he did last year was criminal :(

11. thecitizen

thecitizen Member

Sep 29, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Landon Donovan is being linked with Bayern Munich. I honestly think Donovan should give Europe another shot. It would do wonders for American respect abroad if he plays for a team like Munich (and does good, not just rides the bench with injuries and ill favor from the manager).

12. thecitizen

thecitizen Member

Sep 29, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always wanted to ask you marc but where would you rather see David Villa (who is obviously one of the best in the world) at the Mestalla or at Middle Eastlands (seeing as everyone else are poor and we could have a chance at signing him if the situation is right.)

13. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I think i already discussed this when we were linked to a massive bid for him on transfer deadline day.

I think it would be sad, thats my honest opinion.

Seeing Villa in any other shirt than the white of Valencia would just prove beyond doubt (it's almost that way now anyway) that the only thing that rules footballers is Money. I would say that Villa is one of the last (there are quite a few, but slowly diminishing) footballers that are grateful for the chance they have been given. He could of had the choice of ANY footballing club in the world after his Euro performances, Chelsea, Real Madrid, Scum, Liverpool, Barca, Juve, Milan, Inter .. etc etc and they would of given him a blank check each week to play for them .. but he has said that the only way he would ever have left Valencia is to alleviate their current money troubles, and the same was said for David Silva (IIRC). That's something that should be so, so respected in the current climate of football.

I'll probably get troll's calling me hypocritical after City had massive bids put in on the last day, and scored Robinho etc etc (we have heard it all before). I would much rather us build a team, rather than manufacture one. I would rather see Sturridge scoring twenty in the league, than see a veteren, mercenary for hire scoring 25. Does that make me a bad supporter ? Or does it make me someone who thinks we could do something special here, get a lot of great young talent in here and build a dynasty.

14. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    MVF, I am simply going to say this:

Look at our squads from 99-00 to now, we were definitely being built but Roman's money sped things up also, you didn't the pass the Enrique De Lucas test* before you were bought by Abu Dhabi. :p

* The Enrique De Lucas test is when a team that is challenging for the top five or six and has quite possibly one of the worst players to ever play for them. Unflattering nicknames may occur. Most notably, De Useless.

15. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Yeah.

We can definately start with an elite class of building blocks, for instance .. we could look at buying Joao Moutinho, rather than ... actually buying Miguel Vuouso (IIRC, what was Pearce thinking !!!)

I was more thinking of the Inter, or Real Madrid way of "buy anything that moves, YAY !" mode of thought. I would hate for us to buy players because of their rep, instead of how they fit into the team. I can actually see a few similarites between City and Chelsea pre-ownership. Albiet, i don't know much about Chelsea but i would say both were on the up when the respective owners came in and would be looking to either crash the top four (City) or win the league (Chelsea) in the next few years, prior to the owners coming in. It's not like either club was picked QPR style.

Allez, we have passed that test far far far far before the Arabs came. For interests sake, let's have a look at who's taking up $30K per week, without training or doing anything that could be deemed as positive for the club. Danny Mills ... Come on down. He say's he wants to regain his city spot .. but he won't train (to the best of my knowledge), and commentates for TV instead. The only nicknames that i can come up with him wouldn't pass this sites swear filter :D.

16. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Heh, heh, that's the Winston Bogarde test. :p

17. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Who ?

Even his name screams mediocrity !

18. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  19. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    LOL.

Well, that could sum up the kind of player that i don't want us to buy in a nice three paragraph article.

20. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Well we were pretty poor when we bought him. But yeah... good lord that guy was a disgrace.

21. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Even if we hadn't been bought out, I think we could have pushed for 5-7th spot this season. We finished top half last season and have improved out squad this year. Jo is class, and Robinho is our only addition since we got rich.

22. thecitizen

thecitizen Member

Sep 29, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Mark Hughes is the manager we need though to sign the "right" players. It's obvious he knows how to build a team and find some really adaptive and skilled players. MH has a feel about him that he knows what kind of football he wants to play. He has built an already sound system in just one transfer window. He turned our ultra defensive team into a quick, creative counter attacking one.

How we became a great system of attack:

Jo - Can definately hold up and is definately a finisher which makes him ideal for a lone striker position. And with our abundance of attacking midfielders, it's pretty much like he is the midfield-assisting, goal poacher we've always wanted.

Robinho - No doubts there. He will own. At Madrid he only played on the wing and supposedly he is at his best in the middle (like I've said before, I haven't gotten to WATCH much Robinho....if you don't have Setanta then you pretty much don't get to watch La Liga)

Zaba - He is the archetype Argentine defender and he adds a really nice attacking element to our full backs. I can see him and SWP really creating some magic on the right wing. The fact that MH decided to take him over Corluka shows that he is trying to build a team and not just a collection.

SWP - He's our golden boy. There's really nowhere he won't fit in at City.

Berti - Can we see this guy already or what?

23. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    lol.

Not sure how much of Berti we will see, but i wholeheartedly agree.

and that's our midfield without Elano, Petrov, Ireland and Johnson !!

24. thecitizen

thecitizen Member

Sep 29, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have the biggest grin right now. Last season? We played like shat! lol

I am really loving this attacking potential. It just kind of makes me mad because we are going to see the people jumping on our wagon pretty soon. But I have the jerseys of old so I won't have to prove to anyone that I went from the low to the high of City (which is by far better than just watching them AFTER they get good).

25. Lynne_mcfc

Lynne_mcfc New Member

Aug 19, 2007
    GTA, Canada
    Our blood is sky blue! :D
    We're 'old money' not new.

I agree, the good times are all the better for knowing how rough it got for us a few years ago. We hoped and longed for the glory days to return, they're on the horizon - and how great it feels (can't imagine how the team feels, especially SWP, his days in the shadows are in the dim distant past).