Should We Stay Or Should We Go? - The Chelsea News Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by fernb8, Oct 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    In the words of Skip Bayless re: Tim Tebow...

Mikel needs to be UNLEASHED!

2. addicted2chelsea

Nov 11, 2007
    Australia
    He cant shoot to save himself.

3. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    Neither could Essien when he arrived, and lest we forget, Mikel is about the same age now as Essien was when he came from Lyon. And look what Essien's not being able to shoot turned into. No reason Mikel couldn't take a similar path.

4. addicted2chelsea

Nov 11, 2007
    Australia
    Essien was 22 when he was bought (turning 23 that December), and is a better player than Mikel. Mikel is going on 25 next April.

Mikels role has been diminishing within the squad , he still has a role to play but AVB clearly thinks Romeu is better for that position.

5. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone harps on his erratic shooting, but he can really control the flow of the game with his control and passing

6. ChelseaSounder

Nov 5, 2009
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Listened to the Manchester City episode and really enjoyed it. Thanks for the recommendation!

7. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    How can you be a journalism student and not have Twitter?

One good reason to have Twitter:

www.twitter.com/thebig_sam

8. BlueRebelZ

BlueRebelZ Member+

Aug 2, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    CPS announce that they will make a statement in the afternoon re JT case.

Personally think that is a bit concerning, an announcement before the actual announcement, does not bode well for good.

9. RamboTambo

RamboTambo Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I'm not from UK, so don't really understand what is "CPS" - but is that the police? If so, why wasn't Suarez similarly prosecuted?

10. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Crown Prosecution Service

if you live in the United States- then this would be similar to a District Attorney

as for Suarez- I can only believe the CPS got involved because of the youtube footage inspiring the investigation instead of it being a professional type complaint which was filed by Evra in the Suarez incident

11. BlueRebelZ

BlueRebelZ Member+

Aug 2, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    Neither am I, but Suarez case was FA investigation, nobody lodged a complain to the Police(probably). JT case was lodged as a complain to the Met Police(apparently by some Journo hack, who changed his job then after & joined another rag) & no complain was lodged to FA.

12. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    JT is being charged by the CPS

I suspect the FA will follow with a ban as well

let the witch hunt be fully engaged

13. CeleryKing1955

CeleryKing1955 Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    http://www.cps.gov.uk/news/press_statements/cps_advises_john_terry_charge/

I do wonder how it is allowed to get to this stage without anyone applying common sense. It is quite sad really. John Terry is clearly NOT a racist. His has spent his entire career in a dressing room with players of all nationalities and ethnic backgrounds. IF he were a racist I think it might have been mentioned by someone before now.

14. Dtrip77

Dtrip77 Member+

Jun 10, 2009
    N NJ!!!
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thats why its so ridiculous honestly. Feel sorry for the guy and the shit he has to go through all the time with these papers.

15. BlueRebelZ

BlueRebelZ Member+

Aug 2, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    For all that matters the issue of racism is of least importance to people tbf, all the media boom is about supporting their own agenda against the man JT. Rags are more interested in their self driven campaign against JT & such celebrities, not the actual racism row because in fairness they themselves don't believe there is actually an act of racism happened. It's all about petty agendas against Terry, all the media circus frenzy that is.

16. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    As was the case when the other scandal came out, JT will probably hit a patch of poor form. Not good timing.

17. slipereypete

slipereypete BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA, USA
    I'm not sure the FA can bring any punishment down as they didn't charge him within the proper time frame.

18. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This. It comes down to the levels of "burden of proof". It's much higher in a criminal preceeding. Its to the level "beyond reasonable doubt" as opopsed to the FA's burden, which is civil in nature, hence "a level of probabilities".

19. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    But JT isn't being charged with being a racist. He's charged with using "racially aggravated language" directed at a specific person.

20. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, if you remember there was that incident before with Ledley King but nobody's too sure what happened there.

The truth is that JT's just not the sharpest tool in the box and could have let his mouth, (nominally connected to his brain), get the rest of him in trouble.

There was an interesting TV program recently that talked about the racism prevalent in British football in the 70's. They related one incident where a black player was on the pitch and a fan is mouthing off at the guy, calling him every name under the sun including the 'n' word. As the fella's doing this he notices one of his own teams players, also black, standing alongside the first guy on the pitch and realises he's not particularly pleased with what's happening.

He waves at him and shouts, "Oh, I didn't mean you" :D

As the guy said, if you're differentiating between one person and another based solely on the colour of their skin you DO mean him as well. That's kinda the whole POINT!

But what rather annoys me is that some people are assuming it's a racist comment when it's the England captain and yet, with Suarez, they seem to be assuming it's NOT.

I don't know what happened one way or the other but the sort of witch-hunt that occurs with one player and not another is simply wrong.

21. Yaroni

Yaroni Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Tel Aviv
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    ????????????????????????????????????????

:confused:

22. CeleryKing1955

CeleryKing1955 Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I don't think that you can actually be charged with being a racist - you can only be charged per a specific incident or incidents. So, yes I am fully aware of that. BUT this silly situation is implying that he is a racist. Which I really do not think that he is.

In the video on the link below, Terry appears to be mouthing "you fcucking monkey" - to me, it could be you fcucking pikey?
    Maybe he was saying something in which the lips make similar movements, but it doesn't look good. Also, if you read on with the innuendo and statements, Terry appears to have already made the admission at some point. The explanations in court should prove interesting.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/oct/26/john-terry-anton-ferdinand

I wonder how much Rio is behind this? The disgruntled junkie and former England captain Rio Ferdinand certainly doesnt seem to like Terry.

23. slipereypete

slipereypete BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA, USA

24. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    See what Slipery Pete posted.

The part in bold is irrelevant. It's not up to the court to determine if Terry is or is not a racist. That is a label applied to a person in the court of public and society opinion.

The court is responsible for determining, beyond a shadow of a doubt, whether or not JT used abusive language of racial conatations towards another person. It's not up to them to say whether or not they consider him a "racist". It's not the courts responsibility what the charge, or even their decision, imply about the defendant. That is the consequence (justified or not) all defendents in society face when charged with something.

It's why a criminal case has such a high standard of proof, because of the severity of the implications.

25. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    As neither Anton Ferdinand or anyone else appears to have heard anything and, AFAIK, we're just using some rather dodgy video footage of PART of the conversation then it's rather surprising the case has been brought because I've watched the grauniad's video a few times now and there's no WAY you be sure what's being said.

Maybe there is other video footage around but, in the absence of that or a witness, the case should be a non-starter.