Should we be afraid or VERY afraid? (Supreme Court Campaign Finance Decision)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by purojogo, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Ah: I was thrown off by the "overlords" and "jews" angle. This being the case, I think you could've gone with something like "Carlos, you sound a lot like Mitt Romney railing on the 47% or something." Or "change 'dumb********s' to 'blacks' and 'asshole libertarians' to 'liberals' and you sound like The Guardian, Bialoczwhatever, or faceless" or something along those lines.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  2. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    It was a rant but come on it's pretty true. Just yesterday, I saw a list of state minimum wages. A bunch of Southern states have none at all, or $5 per hour, stuff like that. Who votes for that? Wealthy whites. middle class whites, and whites. You can dislike them being called libertarian plutocrats and and puppets, but that is essentially the mix.

Meanwhile Germany with 5% unemployment, great benefits, great vacations is moving toward an $11.70 minimum wage. As our workers support politicians who are funded by the wealthy, who exist to cut tax rates on high marginal income/wealth, and who support policies that cut programs for the poor and keep wages low.

crazypete13 and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  3. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    anecdotal - but i witnessed a furious and nearly violent argument in my 'hood today between a Pauli fan and the SPD guys who were trying to put up a hoarding.

Basically he was saying get the hell out of our neighbourhood

The main context is spiralling rent & over bearing cops.

The point is at least in the urban areas - the workers still have balls.

I compare to NZ where the suburban working class who are increasingly exploited - arguably worse than the US - can barely drag themselves away from TV, and continue to vote against their own interests.

4. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    U.S. days of riots seem to be over. Not working class, but racial too. When was the last racial uprising in the States? Post Rodney King? Not that's not right, there was that Haitian guy in NY that the cops abused, that was more recent. Not happening much though.

5. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    In order to riot one probably has to turn off the iPhone. Not happening anytime soon.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  6. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Voila.

Take it for what it is/was. It wasn't a manifesto for a party platform or even a buzzfeed "how-to nudge some truth into your Fox News loving family addicted to truthiness" meme.

'Twas a rant. And it felt really, really good. :D

Why thank you JohnR. Oh, and a personal note to you and why I had you do my homework the other day: 2:15am, 5:30 a.m. wake ups last night. FML.

7. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Young 'un at home?

8. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Yup. It's in the faux twitter hashtag in the post where I asked for a link (Education thread).

So are you telling me faux hashtags are NOT an effective form of communicating???!!!111

9. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    If money is speech, how come voting isn't speech? Supreme Court has no problem with preventing people from voting.

HerthaBerwyn repped this.
  10. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'd ask what a fox hashtag is but I need to figure out a regular hashtag first. Hash browns I know, dogtag I know, but this hashtag I do not know.

11. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I think this is a bit unfair.

IMO occupy was a sign that young people in the US can protest effectively - but you have to remember how easy it is for the state to defeat them by feeding bogus talking points into the mass media and using its vastly superior resources.

I was actually looking into the NZ experience with the great depression in the weekend, and the generation of leaders that grew up in the depression did not achieve real political power on the national stage until the 60s

So it might be 20-40 years before the youth of europe can actually achieve change through conventional channels for example.

12. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hanged. He will be hanged.

People are hanged. Pictures are hung.

@American Brummie

Zamphyr repped this.
  13. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Riddle: How is JohnR like a picture?

Belgian guy and uclacarlos repped this.
  14. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    A picture of a naked JohnR was hung showing that...not so much! :cool:

dapip repped this.
  15. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    OMG your son would be, like, sooooo embarrassed.

It has to do with The Twitter machines or something...

17. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
  18. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  19. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I've watched some great programs on Vice. That show doesn't seem to rank among them.

20. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    He doesn't like Twitter. He claims college kids don't do Twitter, that it's an adult corporate thing.

21. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
  22. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    The only people I know who tweet are co-workers doing work related tweets - and local business types doing advertising.

Instagram seems to be where the kids are at.

23. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh. I always thought I was well hung. I guess I'll start referring to my self as well hanged. :D

24. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Basically the kids are on mobile which is the platform driving consumer behaviour.

This is the engine behind the proliferation of apps like WhatsApp & Instagram which focus on more specific mobile needs like photo sharing and cheap messaging.

According to research published today by the GlobalWebIndex, Instagram is growing the fastest of all social media sites worldwide, increasing its active user base by 23% in the last six months. But on an overall basis, it’s still behind the likes of Facebook, YouTube, Google+, Twitter and LinkedIn — which come respectively in at positions 1-5 of the world’s most popular social platforms in terms of penetration.

http://techcrunch.com/2014/01/21/in...bile-devices-rule-over-pcs-for-social-access/

uclacarlos and crazypete13 repped this.
  25. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    A recent study suggests... you are probably correct.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_worl...of_information_can_make_them_more_likely.html

I’ve written a bit before on this blog about the ineffectiveness of governments doing things like blocking Twitter or shutting down the Internet entirely during political crises. But in a new article for the journal Political Communication, Yale Ph.D. candidate Navid Hassanpour takes this further by arguing that information blackouts actually aid political protesters. “Disrupting media and mobile communications promotes local mobilization, helps empower the radicals, and increase the dispersion of protests,” he writes.

Some historical examples seem to bear this out. The largest demonstrations of the Iranian Revolution of 1979 took place during an information blackout caused by a journalists strike. Pamphlets and samizdat audio cassettes filled the vacuum. Newspapers in Petrograd also ceased publication for a week that corresponded with some of the earliest protests of the Russian Revolution in February 1917.

According to Hassanpour’s hypothesis, when normal methods of spreading information are cut off, it “forces citizens to rely on each other for gaining information about the political and social atmosphere, while the state is deprived of its direct and indirect propaganda and supervision tools. In such a situation, citizens are influenced by their peers including their radical neighbors in their local networks.” It also disperses people geographically. Individuals have to leave their homes to figure out what is going on or find family members, which can cause large crowds to assemble.

The central example of Hassanpour’s paper was Hosni Mubarak’s move to shut down Internet and mobile phone service entirely in Egypt on Jan. 28, 2011. Three days earlier a social media campaign organized by the April 6 Youth Movement had been instrumental in organizing large protests in Tahrir Square. But rather than stalling the movement, the government’s shutdown of the means of communications seemed to accelerate it. Partly, this was the result of activists figuring out ways to circumvent the ban. But partly, it was a result of people going out on the street and talking to each other.

In short, so long as people have food and internet, the people served by these decisions don't need to worry that much.