Should we be afraid or VERY afraid? (Supreme Court Campaign Finance Decision)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by purojogo, Sep 12, 2009.

1. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Dude.

SCOTUS blocked a re-count that would have altered the course of American and Middle East history. SCOTUS selected the president.

And their actions over the last few years have just confirmed what so many of us knew back then: it's no longer a neutral pillar in our democracy.

"Corporations are people." Give me a goddamn break.

This ain't no tin hat conspiracy stuff I'm pulling out of thin air.

dapip, soccernutter and Auriaprottu repped this.
  2. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I think I'm saying the same as UCLA Carlos. In addition to nonpolitical items on which it gives legal opinions, the Supreme Court seems to have a second mission of signing off on Team Red desires. As in for example, should there be a Florida recount in Bush vs. Gore.

3. ToasterLeavins

Mar 25, 2003
    NJ USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Yea this is a very very accurate assessment. Remember when the republicans were dead set against Obamacare and the supreme court just ruled the "tax" was unconstitutional to spite the will of the people? Democracy my ass...

4. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    The problem is not designing better solutions, but implementing them.

Its generally only in the case of revolution or other breakdown that you get an opportunity to rewrite the source code from scratch.

But I would focus on System design and the technical aspects.

The current system focuses on the Operating System of the Industrial Age.

i.e. law & coercive force.

Since that time other major political forces have appeared altogether outside of the 3 branches of government.

I think the NSA scandal best illustrates how things can be fixed

In the olden analogue days when decision time frames might be days or weeks, it made sense for a Judge to be the person who safeguarded the relationship between state and individual.

Nowadays when that decision might need to be made in realtime, the law is only a small part of the challenge. Safeguards need to be designed in and decisions made by people with different skills sets (perhaps including legal)

I think financial markets is the same. The old way is to pile regulation on top. The new way would be to code intelligence into the systems in the first place

Personally I think we will simply see consumers adopt collaborative technology outside of the political process and exert pressure in ways that are not currently anticipated.

Occupy etc is really only at the beginning of the consumer awakening.

But increasingly digital is reconfiguring everything and politics won't be exempt.

5. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well now that single example with a single vote really settled my hash, there's no argument to be made at all that the Supreme Court is Team Red vs. Team Blue.

6. ToasterLeavins

Mar 25, 2003
    NJ USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Ohh I thought we were using single instances of something to try and paint an accross the board picture of partiality based on your original post. Since thats not what you were doing, my bad.

7. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Huh? The Supreme Court has issued 5-4 Red/Blue decisions time and time and time again. It is what is called a pattern.

8. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's worth nothing that past administrations have won up to 70% of Supreme Court cases, a percentage that has plummeted to about 37% during the Obama administration.

9. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That just proves that the Administration is advancing an undemocratic totalitarian agenda meant to undermine the very foundation of this country, which it would succeed at doing if not for the five guardians of constitutional liberty on the bench.

Except for the 37% of the cases it wins: then it's a case of activist judges jamming the liberal agenda down the throats of freedom loving Americans.

10. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    How is that scored? Do administrations have official recommendations? Or is it scored in the sense of an existing law being upheld (which the administration may or may not support).

11. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They look at cases that the US is a party, or a friend of, in. Basically, is the Justice Department involved somehow. Then they look at how many they loose and win.

12. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    If corporations are people I want to know how a corporation is subjected to criminal sanction. I dont mean a ceremonial beak-wetting of the enforcement authority with no criminal consequences for the personal decision makers in the criminal enterprise. I want to know how a corporation is removed from society for a period of, say, 3-5 years. All the people up in arms about the homosexuals receiving 'special rights' should be livid about this one.

soccernutter repped this.
  13. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

Not really: the worst corporations can only **** someone ** *** *** metaphorically. "All the people" you're talking about will give corporations a pass on those grounds.

14. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Not what I'm talking about. Replace the hateful language in your post with whatever minority and replace the overlords with Jews. That is Stormfront mentality and you are better than that.

15. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    http://www.theonion.com/articles/us-currency-finally-achieves-universal-suffrage,35702/

WASHINGTON—Saying they had awaited this day for decades, activists across the country celebrated yesterday following the Supreme Court’s landmark decision to grant full and universal suffrage to American currency.

The decision from the nation’s highest court, which was greeted with cheers from advocates and interest groups that have long worked tirelessly on behalf of money, ensures that U.S. dollars can no longer be disenfranchised, and for the first time in history, guarantees that every single one of them will be free to participate in the democratic process with no restrictions whatsoever.

“This is an absolutely historic day for American money; after years of fighting and struggling, our government has finally declared that U.S. cash, irrespective of amount, can no longer be barred from the American electoral system,” said University of Pennsylvania historian Dr. James Mattis, who argued that, while the goal took decades to achieve and at points appeared bleak—particularly during the repressive McCain-Feingold years—few could deny that suffrage for all U.S. capital was inevitable....

The Jitty Slitter and uclacarlos repped this.
  16. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The closest thing I saw to "Overlords" in his original post (and maybe I'm not looking at the right one) was the phrase "rich oligarchs."

So from now on, when anyone criticizes a small portion of the population which, because of wealth and rank has greater access to the halls of power than any other collection of citizens (and who thus as a result exercises a tremendous amount of influence over the course of events that will affect the lives of other people who lack said wealth, rank, and access) said small population will get pass because you can substitute the word "jews" without changing the grammar of the sentence?

Some pretty wealthy guy advanced a similar idea in the Wall Street Journal editorial page recently. He was pretty widely laughed at.

17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They never have been.

18. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Except we can point to a slew of landmark cases that say otherwise.

19. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Brown v. Board says otherwise.

soccernutter and DynamoEAR repped this.
  20. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

Damn you: I was saving that one for my next pick.

Oh wait: this isn't The Supreme Court Decision draft is it? My bad.

;)

soccernutter and Auriaprottu repped this.
  21. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Nope. This is what got me:
    "The result is a massive number of rural stupid dumbf***s (evolution denying / climate change denying / legitimate rape believing / abstinence-only "policy", etc.) having a tyranny over the rest of the country.

And these dumbfuc*ks are too goddamn stupid to realize that they're just the puppet for a bunch of asshole, libertarian plutocrats who disdain their very puppets.

That's what I'm saying..."

Carlos is better than this. Or we can bring back Guardian and that Polish guy.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  22. phedre44

phedre44 Member

SKC
    Apr 1, 2008
    Kansas
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This should happen.

spejic repped this.
  23. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    But ... they're dumb. Like, really, really, really stupid.

dapip and Smurfquake repped this.
  24. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
  25. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roe v. Wade is up there, too.
    As is Furman v. Georgia (sadly overturned)
    That would be fun.