Should Toronto FC have a General Admission Supporters Section?

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by vevo5, Aug 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Should Toronto FC have a General Admission Supporters Section?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...grades-bmo-field-inspired-newest-mls-stadiums
    Report: Toronto FC eyeing upgrades to BMO Field inspired by newest MLS stadiums

[​IMG]

2. kaiteng

kaiteng Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    But should TFC concentrate on winning to bring fans back first? If the can't win, the stadium won't be consistently filled even with the current size.

3. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    General admission seating? What could possibly go wrong with that idea?

4. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The reality is that BMO Field already has a GA area.....buy a ticket anywhere in the stadium and grab a spot on the patio under the north stand.....first come first served.

5. FutebolDeResultado

Feb 8, 2008
    I argue that all of BMO is general admission, except boxes and those crappy pitch seats. in the last two years I've yet to see my seats, I have no idea where they are.

6. herthabsc

herthabsc Member

Jun 20, 2007
    God no. All we need is a bunch of unidentifiable tourists in the south end doing stupid shit.

7. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

that is the reason why Portland, Seattle, Kansas City, Montreal all have assigned seating Supporters Section.

oh wait...

8. herthabsc

herthabsc Member

Jun 20, 2007
    We have an unofficial GA policy within the supporter sections already. Seems to work fine.

I guess I just don't see the problem with what's in place, or where there's any push for GA. Only people it would really benefit are section tourists.

9. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Here's what we're opening ourselves up to if this thing goes ahead:

[​IMG]

10. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Good God. That face. I won't be able to sleep tonight...

11. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

I have to think that the tim horton's cup was really something else that was photoshopped out.

12. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any words on what TFC front office will do for 2014 regarding a GA Supporters Section?

13. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe if BMO Field does expand in the near future, it will finally have a GA Supporters Section.

14. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    What would the upside be?

15. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Most successful stadium expansions are based on including a lot of these low cost/low amenity/low margin areas.

16. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I agree with the low aspect, I just don't see why general admission for the supporters section offers any advantage over assigned seating for the supporters section.

17. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    my point is that stadium expansions cost money, big money, that has to be recovered. They are, in large part, funded by the future revenues that the new seats create....the more higher margin seats (boxes, clubs, premiums) that they can get in the more revenue.....the more that the new space is taken up by lower margin seating, the less likely an expansion is.

18. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    So....I don't see any advantage for the club to do this. As mentioned above, they make their revenue off of the high-end seats, not the supporters seats. The supporters seats are kind of an unwritten agreement - we'll give you cheap seats, you provide the atmosphere. So they'll likely expand the supporters section too, but it's not going to be a huge portion of it.

I also don't think that MLSE wants to deal with the headache of general admission seating. If there is any incident of violence, stuff being thrown on the field, etc., they want to be able to trace where it came from back to a seat owner.

Plus, I'm not sure what the upside is for the fans, either.

19. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Right, and I don't see how GA seating accomplishes any of the things you list. So, my question still remains (for anyone on the pro-GA side of the discussion) what would the upside to GA seating be?

20. scarborotfcfan

May 26, 2008
    If you don't have season tickets, GA offers you the ability to walk up on the day of the game and buy a ticket showing up early enough to have the best seats in the GA section. Nice for people who often don't know until the day of whether they can attend or not. That being said, it's completely not worth the risk of people who buy GA tickets so they can anonymously make an ass of themselves.

21. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think you have it there....from what I understand, following the story very casually from afar, the people most in favour of a GA section are a combination of unaffiliated "supporter-type" fans and newly formed supporters groups and when those people are asked they seem to favour an entire south end supporters GA section. Somewhat counter-intuitively, from what I understand, the people most opposed to a GA section of that nature are the existing supporters groups (U-Sector/RedPatchBoys/etc) who see any move to a fully GA south end as a moving in of new supporters who weren't there on day 1 to support the club and now want the ability access the same prime areas that those groups have occupied.

On the outside is the vast majority of ticket buyers who would not be affected at all because they would continue, regardless, to buy reserved seats.

Any move by the club to create a full south end GA area would be met (I think) with great resistance from people who already own seats in the south end (whether they are members of RPB or Usector or not) so the only option for the club, if they were interested in a GA section, would be to allocate some portion of the newly built sections (maybe a second deck or upper rows of the south end) as a GA area but, again, how likely are they to get existing groups to move from their "historic" sections/areas (where, amongst themselves, they operate informal GA as it is) into those new GA areas? So that may create a "splintering" of support rather than a unification of support (which is often given as one of the advantages of a GA area).

Another option I have seen thrown around is the north stand. As the last part of the stadium built it has the lowest percentage of season ticket holders....so turning that into a GA area might result in the least displacement of existing ticketholders....that said, those seats are a bit more expensive than the south end and turning it into an area to satisfy the pro-GA constituency would likely require lowering the price......again creating less profit margin in existing seats is not a great way to finance, either, stadium rebuilds or player/squad acquisition...so I am not sure how probable that option is.

22. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ask supporters in Seattle, Portland and Kansas City if

1) they want their GA Supporters Section revert back to Assigned Seating (most don't)
    2) if the GA Supporters Section help improve the stadium atmosphere (it does improve the atmosphere)

With BMO Field expanding to 30,000 seats, this is a great opportunity for a GA Supporters Section.

If the front office of Seattle, Portland, Kansas City is in charged of TFC regarding the GA Supporters Section, which do you think they would do?

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2014/02/24/In-Depth/Roundtable.aspx

SBJ: Heading into the 2014 season, what do you view as Major League Soccer’s strongest asset?

TIM LEIWEKE, MLSE: It’s the level of play.

NICK SAKIEWICZ, PHILADELPHIA UNION: Tim and I have been in this league since day one, and I’d have to agree with him on the quality of play.

ADRIAN HANAUER, SEATTLE SOUNDERS FC: The strength of ownership, the increasing passion of our fans, and the relevance in our markets. The league has grown a massive amount in the last 10 years, and I feel it’s going to continue in that direction.

MERRITT PAULSON, PORTLAND TIMBERS: I would add the vibrant supporters culture in MLS. It’s a key differentiator for us. It’s a fundamentally different spectator experience. It’s a show in itself and there’s nothing like it in the other sports leagues in North America.

23. Sean L

Sean L Member

Jan 7, 2014
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    It improves the atmosphere for those who like that scrum and mingle type. But I don't think it applies to a lot of traditional NA fans.

I could see it happening in new sections only due to existing seat licenses.

A very large tailgating area would really be optimal for improving the experience, and you don't even have to worry about seats then. I know the team would be really hesitant about brought in food/drink cutting into their sales, but just charge a significant entry fee to compensate. It's more about the party than just trying to skimp on concessions. Large fenced off parking area for cars and buses. Get a tradition of supporters groups going in on bus purchases/rentals, and commuting together, and you cut the drunk driving risk too. Have stalls with electricity/gas hookups and go for the NFL experience.

It's just so outside the box for sports teams here to think about with their traditional models. I hope someone at MLSE can be forward thinking.

24. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    There are no seat licenses at BMO Field

Of course all that you would need is an amendment to Ontario liquor laws to permit the consumption of alcohol in a public space.

25. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    That's doable as is - but it would likely mean a special liquor license à la beer tents at concerts for each game - and that ain't tailgating as most know it.