Should they stay or should they go (now)...

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Soaker888, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a list of accomplishments Pareja has achieved as both a player and a coach:

Okay, now that that's out of the way... When I chatted with Hinchey last week, he seemed pretty confident that Rivero would be here next year, even when I brought up the absurd situation that finally brought him here. I admittedly admire his ability to be so enthusiastic over such an average player. I know that prospect may makes some of you happy, but it just makes me yawn.

He also seemed to hold the "party line" of ragging on both Omar and Conor. I can't help but wonder if their future in Colorado will be quite short. At least I got him to admit that Edu was a mistake.

2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That lack of playing accomplishments is largely due to the Rapids and the way we've killed Dallas every time we've seen them in the playoffs. :D

(Though getting capped for the Colombian Nats during a pretty good stretch in their history is probably worth noting).

3. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention playing in a game against Pablo Escobar in his private prision. After that, I'd have to redefine "high pressure game." ;)

Jasonma repped this.
  4. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I know you personally have your crosshairs firmly fixed on Pareja, but I think you could double that blank list of accomplishments for Hinchey.

From his past experience (the Bobcats and Derby, both rousing successes...wait, what?), to his inability to be smart about public transparency. From his botched jersey sponsor deals, to his trite marketing for the team (seriously, #OneClub is the best you can do? 5280 is the most unique thing you can say about the Rapids?). From his dubious attendance number reporting (sorry to go there, but, are you really telling me that 6-7k people out of the supposed 13k last Wednesday would bother purchasing tickets but would then not bother showing up? In this day and age, wouldn't people be aware enough through the media/internet of how bad the Rapids were prior to purchasing tickets/taking ticket handouts on a Wed. night?) to his guiding hand in demolishing this team with the sole goal of style/image over substance driving every decision...I have no faith in the guy whatsoever.

22SteveD repped this.
  5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After meeting the trio a month or so ago I realized that if I had to keep one of them, it would probably be Pareja. I've been very unimpressed with Hinchey, and Bravo is obviously the architect of the movement we're seeing. Pareja may be struggling, but at least he has the excuse of being in his initial year as a head coach, and I don't know how much he's being handcuffed by Bravo in his personnel options.

6. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Most of the time the paper towel dispensers in the mens room are either broke or out of paper. Which ever of those three is responsible must pay the piper.

30Something repped this.
  7. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Your analogy, followed through, is effectively saying something like the vendor of the energy drinks that the team has after practice is responsible for this season (since DSGP is neither owned nor operated by the RFO specifically, but by KSE/Commerce City, you're throwing blame outside the organization). The analogy doesn't land quite as squarely on the players as you were probably hoping.

8. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    damn, I was going for the absurd.

Don't quit your day job to pursue fortune telling ;)

9. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Not in the cards.

DavidJames repped this.
  10. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    He scored the pair of goals that put the U.S.A. into WC 2010 (put a lock on qualification), but how quickly we forget in a Nation just packed with similar talent.

11. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that was also 2 years ago and will be 3 years ago next season

12. dallasrapidsfan

May 8, 2012
    Dallas
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has more things as a player than that. You boys need to do your research a little. He was on the team that won the South American sub-20 ( I think) championship when he was 15 or 16. He went to the big club at 17. He was MLS Best 11 twice. Team captain with the Dallas Burn many years. And alot more. And he did play against Pablo. More than once. He has a banner at the FC Dallas stadium. Give the guy a little credit huh? He had an above-average career as a player. He is also probably the most loved player to ever wear the FCDallas/Burn uniform. And, excuse me all to hell, but I like him.....And next year when you guys are doing better. you might actually like him as well.......
    And, I'm not trying to get you guys all rilled-up but I just think you guys really don't know what you've got there....Thats all..........

13. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Good history lesson. But one must understand that the Rapids won the MLS Cup in 2010 and now, 2 years later, they are stinking up the bottom of the league with a few other teams. Much of the OP bashing is venting and steam, however accurate or inaccurate the accusations are. With just a few more wins/ties, the hotness would be less. I like OP, but this is the only season Rapids fans have to measure him by as a head coach. Personally, I'll give him through next season, easy. Even then if we still suck I'll probably mostly blame Bravo. I know I'm not the only regular here who feels that way.

14. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am very aware of his history as a player and assisant coach. Check my posts, I like him and am willung to give him another year.

15. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Yes well, please note, apparently Quinn thinks you're retarded and will now refer to you as "Stupid".

16. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm...yeah. Pretty much.

In order to justify this guy, you literally have to ignore absolutely everything thats currently happening to this team...and then purely speculate on his past based on little to zero factual data.

Listing off youth accomplishments doesn't mean shit, and it isn't relevant to anything. Listing off his accomplishments on mediocre teams doesn't make someone a good coach (or a good player for that matter).

We'll lose 20+ games this year, and everyone's standards will have become so low that it will seem like a huge accomplishment next year when lose 10-15 games. Even though we will have wasted two full years, shipped off all of our talent...we will have ultimately ended up right back where we started before we even hired this clown. When that happens, all the paste eating retards will say "SEE!!! I TOLD YOU HE'D DO BETTER!!! THE TEAM IS IMPROVING!!!"

You guys are like Nero, playing the lyre while Rome burns to the ground.

17. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not exactly, I just don't want to start the TFC death spiral by playing musical coaches, systems and players. I'm willing to give him another year. What I don't want is to fire him, bring in someone like Spencer, fire all the Columbians and hire a bunch of Scots. Looking across the league, it looks like coaching continuity and spending are key factors in success. Since we know KSE isn't going to open the check book, continuity is the key.

Other than that ... I was trying to shut up the FCD Troll. Agree, there is no relationship between youth/player performance and coaching. Look at most of your successful NFL and college coaches; most had modest playing careers.

Finally, please don't ever call me a paste eating retard again

18. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Stuart 95. Quinn's got all his bases covered now. If we do better next year and the year after that, you're still a retard (me too, no doubt). How can one guy be so right?

Jasonma and Stuart95 repped this.
  19. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fine.

But I will say this.You're putting the horse before the cart with the argument of "give him more time". Nobody hires a coach with the idea that he'll be fired the next year. Everybody wants a long serving coach that can bring in success. Find me a club the doesn't want that. The good coaches stick around because the are good, and the team shows improvement under their watch. The crappy coaches don't keep their job because the team does not improve.

There has to be improvement somewhere. Our players have forgotten the fundamentals of how to play the game. They can't pass, shoot, run, tackle, or mark players. Let me ask you this: How often did you see that with teams that Arena, Sigi, Kinner, or Yallop? The answer is that you didn't see it. Thats because they actually know how to coach.

20. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You just made my point for me. What do all four of those coaches as well as Jason Kreis have in common? They've had continuity at the same team ... time to implement a system.

Switch to decaff and tone down the personal attacks. We're all here because we love the Rapids and want to see the team improve.

Jimmydinho repped this.
  21. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    You won't see me calling anyone retards. I realize that most people in Rapidsland are seeing what I see. What's maddening to me is the magic upside people are expecting next season. They expected 2012 to be a throw away season and that leads them to believe that the other half of their prediction..... (2nd year success!!!) is bound to happen.

A) Excuse the shit out of me for actually caring about the 2012 Rapids.
    B) Next season success based on what? It sure as heck can't be anything seen on the field this season.
    Magic formula: Suck one season + Off season + Harry Potter shit = raising trophies forever and ever after.
    C) Suddenly the same standards and logic used to kick other managers out the door dont apply.
    D) The monkeywrench that is Paul Bravo, it is possible that OP is a good coach trying to accomplish something that is much harder than it should be with Bravo's help.

Quinn 33 and Popamatic repped this.
  22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Actually Sigi's early Crew teams were pretty bad. Arena's stint in NY wasn't exactly impressive either.

Oh, and your button is stuck.

As this season has gone on I've started wondering more about this. Alas I don't think we'll ever know what influence Bravo has had on the play (as opposed to the roster).

23. dallasrapidsfan

May 8, 2012
    Dallas
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough sir. I just get tired of the personal attacks on him. he had an above average career and alot of the people here talk like he is some kind of loser Colombian who has absolutley no creditials in the world of futbol. Alof of you guys here talk about how bad these players are. Is that his fault? You got a right to complain about your team losing. But, dont lay it all on him..And, I'm just wondering, what was Jason Kreiss' record his first season with RSL. Just wondering..And. I thoink you guys give way too much credit to Conner Casey. Hes not that good anymore. He had one good shot last night that he should have dumped off for a goal with his teamate. Just my thought....

24. jdub3379

jdub3379 Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't seem to remember GS having a good previous reputation as a coach or player either. I believe that the performance of this team this season could put Pareja on the chopping block but like someone else here pointed out firing a coach after 1 season doesn't tend to work out in MLS too well, look at Toronto. I don't see a whole lot of coachs of any real pedigree in MLS and the ones who have it now had to work for it, including GS. Until Sir Alex Ferguson or Jose Mourinho are begging to coach for us I don't think we need to call for OP's head.

Check that: Quinn for coach, dismemberment as his assistant. These guys got it figured out and have excellent pedigree watching footie on TV.

22SteveD, Soaker888, savelints8 and 2 others repped this.
  25. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets just say his list of accomplishments prior to MLS Cup 2010 looked a lot like the list Quinn posted for Pareja. ;)