Should they stay or should they go (now)...

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Soaker888, Aug 23, 2012.

1. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    I'd really like to see that too.

2. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Castrillon fits best at wing, I guess we will be stuck with this 4-2-2-2 (not a fan but I like how castrillon becomes 3rd forward and rivero slides into a 10 position) unless we find a way to play with just 1 d mid. Would like to see Thomas there in a true 4-3-3 this season, but he has some injury from LA game.

This offseason we will see what the plan is, what they said it was but we didn't see this season. Or do something else that maybe matches personnel we have?

COMtnGuy repped this.
  3. COphysicsDave

COphysicsDave Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Centennial State
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, now that the season's over, I figure I'll throw out my two cents as far as what moves I think the team should make.

In alphabetical order:
    Akpan - Keep. Love how he's developing, and he seems to rarely put shots off-frame
    Armstrong - Keep. No reason to drop him as a homegrown player, depth at mid or D.
    Cascio - Keep. Amazing production for a rookie straight from the draft.
    Casey - Keep, if he can renegotiate for less money. Otherwise, trade.
    Castrillon - Tough call given his goal production, but I'm just not sold on him. He disappears too often and his distribution is lacking. Not sure what his contract status is, but trade or waive.
    Ceus - Keep. Solid backup net-minder.
    Cummings - Keep. He had a miserable first 60% of the season, but I actually feel he was improving by the end. I still consider him a bargain given how much respect he still seems to get from opposing D.
    Edu - Useless. Drop.
    Freeman - Keep. Got more impressed with him as the season went on.
    Hill - Keep, assuming he wants to stay after his numerous pointless benchings. That he didn't play more often this year is inexcusable IMO.
    Joyce - Keep I guess. Third string keepers are vestigial organs.
    Klute - Keep. Pretty impressed with him off the bat, give him a chance to grow.
    JL - I'd say keep given his performance since Thomas joined up, however if we get a good trade offer, I'd say they should consider letting him go.
    Marshall - Needs to retire. Not up to playing at this level anymore.
    Pablo - Retire and stay on coaching staff.
    Moor - Keep. No-brainer.
    Mullan - Keep. One of the most consistent performers this year.
    Nane - Once Thomas came on the scene, he became surplus. Drop.
    O'Neill - Keep. Homegrown and shows potential, good depth at mid.
    Palguta - We desperately need depth at D, but I don't think Palguta is the solution. Drop.
    Pickens - Team MVP. 'Nuff said.
    Rivero - I'm mixed on him. He's one of those guys that always seems half a season away from breaking out. Good skills and good work ethic, we should give him another season.
    Smith - Too expensive, too old and too injury-prone despite his skills and service to the team. Drop.
    Thomas - Bright spot of this season. Keep keep keep.
    Wahl - Good defensive depth guy. Keep.
    Wallace - Don't know how well he can perform after being out for 2 full years, but if he's up to snuff, let him fight to get his position back.
    Wynne - Keep. Pair him at center back with Moor and never move him again.
    Zapata - Not effective as a left back, he gets caught out of position constantly. I think Klute out-shined him in his short amount of playing time. Drop.

Off-season acquisitions: Need depth at D, especially center back. Could use a bit more depth at mid as well.

My preferred starting lineup, given our current roster with no major acquisitions:

-----Casey/Hill-----Cummings/Cascio---- (Strikers contingent on form)
    ---Rivero------------------------Mullan-----
    -------------JL-------Thomas----------------
    ---Klute---Moor---Wynne---Freeman-----
    ----------------MVPickens--------------------

It is a rather grand irony that we have returned to playing 2 D-mids, but we looked best trotting out a lineup like that. As has been said many times, the "system" should be secondary to what your personnel can do and what produces results. Granted, the games against Chivas and Houston were against inferior and unmotivated opposition respectively, but I saw a glimmer of hope for next season. Let's see what the off-season brings

4. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Agree with most of your assessment except:
    I am a lot less down on Castrillon than many here. Golden boot winner for CO (yea, I know, 8 goals is hardly the jackpot) in first year in MLS. His being in the right place at the right time is no accident IMO.
    Rivero has been lauded by MLS.com articles more than once, his goal shots have been of target but playing as much as he has and showing some very good ball handling and decision making for plays, I see little reason to be anything but optimistic about him ('cept for those goal shots, again) especially given his age and first year in MLS.
    I like Zapata so far. I think he has actually been fairly consistent, though not perfect, to acknowledge your concerns. From what I saw of Klute in his only game, he was good on offense but I did not pay enough attention on D. Zapata has shown runs on offense many times this year that were similar to those of Klute. But, Zapata is 33 next season so he could be on the block.

Jasonma and COphysicsDave repped this.
  5. kucsdat

kucsdat Member

Jul 12, 2012
  6. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Thanks for the heads up. Sounds like those guys are safe because their contracts are recently signed and Rapids plan to honor them. I can only assume that there are many other players not mentioned in the article that Bravo/Pareja want to keep and likely will, but with contract renegociations and all, they can't really "confirm" the presence of some key players for next season (such as Pickens, Wynn, Castrillon, etc). No doubt they want to keep Thomas and Rivero. I'm guessing team building happens around those guys. I'd be surprised if Rivero comes back at less than $100k...but then again I don't know what his obligation is to the Rapids/MLS from Rosario or how the $ works into this. Pretty sure it ain't gonna be his current $50k.

7. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weird, there should be no negoatiations at all. We had a 2 year loan in place, unless they are talking about buying out Rosario.

8. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No mention of Casey in the article.

9. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    The article mentions they are negotiating with those two.

10. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I don't understand why there is so much talk making it sound like he may not come back next year. Next year should be a given, but I also would understand if they were trying to finalize the transfer so he really would be ours going forward. That isn't the way it is being presented though which confounds me.

11. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I guess I meant "No surprise they are negotiating with Rivero and Thomas as they would certainly like to keep them".

12. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    My uneducated take on the Rivero thing is that the Rapids have the contract for 2 year loan but the $ for him going forward after his first year were not set in stone. This may be for him or for him and Rosario. But they may be looking to secure him more long term, as you mention, and would therefore add the the nebulosity of the whole situation.

13. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am also baffled by way this is written as well.

"(Priorities) One A and One B are securing Martin (Rivero) and Hendry (Thomas) for 2013 and hopefully beyond," he said. "We are in active discussions with the representatives of both (players) and the League. We have a timeframe set and that is for it be done before the end of the year."

But I believe dismemberment and myself brought up our concern that Rivero would be back based off the circus it took to finally get him and his success here. Outside the usa lawyers and contracts mean little, it's who you know.

14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but FIFA has already sided with MLS on Rivero. And MLS owners got rich by being very, very good at contracts.

15. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, my family is in the contract business but outside the western world they really mean nothing.

Think you are stretching a bit, saying contract writing leads to wealth there buddy.

Just one of our agree to disagree topics here, but I will be delighted to see Rivero return, just not surprised if it doesn't happen.

What ever happened with guy who signed contract/ transfer last preseason then refused to go to MLS ( New England I think)

16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He went to MLS. The contract, as written, allowed the team to keep the player until right before the MLS season started. As much as the Revs FO complained, they were in the wrong.

My point is that FIFA is very clear when it comes to something like this AND they've already had to step in once and tell the Argentine FA/Rosario Central to shape up. I have no concern that if MLS has a contract that gives them the rights to Rivero for 2013 that Rosario Central can stop him from being in MLS in 2013. MLS knows what its doing and FIFA will back them up.

Now Rivero himself could be a problem, you can force a player's registration to whatever team the contract says, but you can't force him to play. Right now it seems like Rivero wants to come back and its all good though.

17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, the NE player was Jose 'Pepe' Moreno, who played 7 games with the Revs before being waived in August.

18. dismemberment

dismemberment Member

Dec 10, 2007
    colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i just think we need a player exactly like omar so when his gone or injured also same with casey. that way were not changing team philosophy's every week.

would push omar and push casey