Should MLS start academies in the Caribbean?

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by DANNO49, Apr 19, 2014.

1. DANNO49

DANNO49 Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Hawthorne CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Many European clubs have academies overseas. Perhaps we should extend our influence into the Caribbean. The league as a whole or the individual teams should start academies there.
    For me I'd like to see them in Trinidad,Jamaica,Suriname,Haiti perhaps some other places.

2. themightymagyar

Aug 25, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't we already do this thread?

JasonMa repped this.
  3. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    Yep

soccersubjectively repped this.
  4. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Should MLS start academies in the Caribbean?

No.

6. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    A slightly more reasoned as to why I said "No."

1) There are international rules about players moving about as teenagers, which would have to be dealt with first.
    2) This would cost a lot of money.
    3) MLS teams are having a tough enough time setting up academies, youth teams, etc. in the US.
    4) There is no reason for MLS going to the Caribbean to set up academies except: weather and pot (although that would be easier to do in Colorado and Washington, I guess).
    5) It would be expensive to get there for teams, scouts, coaches, etc.
    6) The limited resources would be better spent here, attempting to bolster the sport in the US.
    7) If successful, it could have a deleterious effect upon the USMNT.

7. DANNO49

DANNO49 Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Hawthorne CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The academies would be in the various countries

8. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yes, and it is still a stupid idea.

9. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you want Columbus (to choose a club at random) to set up an Academy in Dominica (to choose a shit-bag island at random) and you think there's going to be significant return-on-investment. Even if they get and train and develop the best 20 players in Dominica, how many of them do you think either A. See the field for the Yellow Football Team or B. command a transfer payment? #NonRhetoricalQuestion

10. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    More than if you set up an academy in Columbus? I don't know, but it's possible, particularly if you choose Jamaica or Trinidad rather than Dominica.

I think there are enough minor impracticalities not to make it worth the hassle, but I can think of better places to recruit players than Columbus. Trinidad has a pretty strong athletic tradition for its size, I expect most of the players there aren't expecting to go to college and an MLS team would be the rich team on the island. Seems like that would be a decent recruiting ground.

11. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty sure the Jamaican Football Federation would have a not only no, but ANFWHNGTFO type of response.

JasonMa repped this.
  12. FayMountaineer

Jan 11, 2007
    Fayetteville,NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scouting is the way to go if you believe you can get enough good players out of it. Once a year try-outs might not be out of the question, good to do as much networking as possible, this is how the diamonds are found. Scouting is a lot like college recruiting, it is about the relationships.

13. blacksun

blacksun Member+

Mar 30, 2006
    Seoul, Korea
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm curious why you think that. It seems to me that they would love to have someone spend money developing Jamaican youth players who will end up playing for the Jamaican national team. It may even benefit the local pro league as the players who aren't good enough for MLS (the vast majority of them) would benefit from improved training and then be available for the local league. I don't think it will happen because it is not beneficial enough for MLS not because it would somehow hurt Jamaica.

FlipsLikeAPancake repped this.
  14. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because MLS has a history of green carding players quickly to make them count as domestic, catch a youth player early enough and at 21-22 you could have them as citizens, and thus eligible for the US, because you brought them in early they probably have not yet been capped by Jamaica and now the best and brightest there are suddenly playing for someone who can offer them better facilities, more money, a better chance at the World Cup etc...

15. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFA Rules allow players from all 50 States, DC, and the territories to move to Columbus for the expressed purpose of playing for the Crew U8s. The same is not true of Trinbagonians moving to Jamaica.

16. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    Smart.

17. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    How long does it really take someone to get citizenship? Think we are looking at closer to them being mid 20s than early 20s.
    http://www.us-immigration.com/us-im...ow-long-does-the-us-citizenship-process-take/
    So, once they get their green card it will take around 5 year before they are able to apply. Then a minimum of another 6 months or even longer for the application to get processed and then a little longer before you can take the oath.

So the minimum is probably they sign at 18, get green card at 19 and then at 24 they apply for citizenship. They probably take the oath when they are 25 or close to it.

Now, if they marry a US citizen everything changes. But I wouldn't rely on that.

18. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If an MLS academy were set up in the Caribbean, you wouldn't see players sign in MLS until there were 18 due to FIFA rules against internationally transferring minors. Even if they got green cards instantly (which is unlikely, it usually take a while), it would be a 5 year wait for citizenship.

Unless I'm mistaken, I think it has been quite a while since a non-minor emigrated to the US to play soccer, got US citizenship and then played for the US national team. Most of the immigrant guys whose citizenship processes we're currently tracking - Nagbe, Zelalem, Fagundez - came to the US as children.

I honestly don't think Caribbean nations would be all that worried about us poaching players. If they were, they wouldn't be supportive of the new annual MLS Caribbean Combine, which scouts Caribbean players age 18-21 with the idea of putting them in the MLS draft. That's young enough that players recruited could still get US citizenship in their 20s.

19. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To say nothing of the fact that Caribbean National Teams are usually so bad and play in so many games that 'matter' (per FIFA rules) that a CFU FA can offer a player a chance to play for his country much earlier than the US can. Hell, Shalrie Joseph (who I'm to understand could have easily chosen the United States) was first capped by Grenada when he was playing the the PDL.