Should MLS institute a Community Shield?

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by alslammerz, Aug 6, 2009.

1. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As for whether it's a good idea, independent of the historical considerations: I don't see why we need or would want a SuperCup.

The SuperCup serves a useful purpose in countries like Spain or Scotland, where there are only a handful of good teams: it gives you one more game in the year when the teams everyone wants to see play each other, play each other. A Galaxy-Sporting game early this season would have been fun, but it's not more exciting than the average MLS game to the degree Real-Barca is more exciting than the average La Liga game.

Plus, MLS has playoffs. Playoffs, like supercups, are a way of getting all of the best teams over the regular season together and having them play each other. Having both seems unnecessary.

There are also obvious practical problems with scheduling what is supposed to be a high-profile event in February in, potentially, Toronto or Chicago. If MLS was popular enough that they could sell out a game in a warm-weather non-MLS city, like Honolulu, or Phoenix, or San Diego, or Miami, or even Mexico City or Marseilles or Shanghai, that might make sense as part of the MLS preseason. Right now, I don't see that happening, so it's probably not workable even if there was a reason to have one.

2. davidrpaige

davidrpaige Member

May 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Oh, I don't. That was me going off-topic and going ape-shit about "euro posing" being flung around. I'm in favor for such a tournament just because I think it would be a good one to have.

3. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "I like soccer, and would like more soccer" is a very good reason, in fact the only good reason, to make the teams play more games.

henryo repped this.
  4. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    #54 henryo, Aug 19, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
    Probably the First Article of its kind on the topic:

"MLS: Should the League Introduce a Community Shield?"
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1742380-mls-should-the-league-introduce-a-community-shield

[​IMG]

5. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    #55 henryo, Aug 19, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  6. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    Here is another article containing the key words "MLS Community Shield".

"MLS Playoffs: Why the Red Bulls Win Can Push New York to Its First MLS Cup"
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ls-win-can-push-new-york-to-its-first-mls-cup

However, upon taking a closer look, it seemed that the "Senior Writer" has in fact confused the term "Community Shield" with our dear "Supporters' Shield" instead...

What a blooper, :p.

[​IMG]

7. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    The reason to want a SuperCup is that it would 1. make money and 2. get media attention.

It's a fun game, teams get to claim a minor trophy, and it's a good way to get people talking about the league.

I don't see why we wouldn't want a SuperCup.

henryo repped this.
  8. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If both of those things turned out to be true, then sure.

Given that the US Open Cup itself is still a money-loser for most teams, and gets very little media attention, I'm not convinced.

9. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given that teams in the League can currently win 4 trophies (SS, USOC, MLS Cup, and the Canadian Championship) and the media gives attention to exactly one of them, what makes you think adding a 5th, more minor trophy is going to lead to media attention?

10. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Q: Is you calling anyone oversensitive hilarious?
    A: Yes.

11. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry, we can add a 5th (CCL); So, they point of a 6th is? #NonRhetoricalQuestion

12. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Q: Is your quoting a post that was made four years ago pathetic?
    A: Yes

13. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    By beating SKC 1-0 on Aug-18, S.J. have secured the "Imaginative MLS Community Shield" of 2013, Version 1, between the Winners of USOC (K.C.) & Supporters' Shield (S.J.) of the previous season.

14. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    Updates for 2014:

===================================

First Game between 2013 Winners of SS & USOC in 2014:

Saturday, April 12, 2014
    DateHome TeamAway Team
    7:00PM EDT

MLS Regular Season
    at RFK Stadium
    D.C. United
    [​IMG]
    1 - 0
    [​IMG]
    New York
    www.mlssoccer.com/schedule?month=all&year=2014&club=11&competition_type=all&broadcast_type=all&op=Search&form_id=mls_schedule_form

First Game between 2013 Winners of MLS Cup & USOC in 2014:

Saturday, May 31, 2014
    DateHome TeamAway Team
    7:00PM EDT

MLS Regular Season
    at RFK Stadium
    D.C. United
    [​IMG]
    1 - 0
    [​IMG]
    Sporting KC
    www.mlssoccer.com/schedule?month=all&year=2014&club=13&competition_type=all&broadcast_type=all&op=Search&form_id=mls_schedule_form

Conclusion: Clean Sweep of 2014 "MLS Community Shields" by D.C. United. ;)

15. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mls does not needed a community shield wtf this ain't england

16. youngorst

youngorst Member

Jun 26, 2014
    Bend, Oregon
    I think if you wanted to do something creative like this, how about...

Invite the MLS Cup winner, Both Conference champs, and the US Open Cup winner and play a 4 game tournament in a city without MLS, each team plays 2 games for 4 total games. Essentially use your best 4 teams to test potential MLS markets/grow the game.

There is nothing wrong with the concept (something more akin to the international cup that European teams come play in America), Rather it has a trophy or not doesn't really matter. Its a good opportunity to present your game to new markets. Other leagues (both soccer and non-soccer) do this, why not MLS?

henryo repped this.
  17. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS already holds this kind of preseason tournaments in Orlando (which until recently didn't have an MLS team) and in Arizona and Carolina (which still don't.)

henryo repped this.
  18. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    In fact, it need not be a separate pre-season tournament, simply arrange it as the First Kick game of the new season will do.

The 3 league points at stake will be just the motivation needed to win this curtain-raiser to the new season. ;)

Elninho repped this.
  19. GunningforMLS1993

Aug 28, 2013
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I am a fan of the 4-team pre-season tournament in non-MLS markets. Supporters Shield winner vs. US Open Cup winner. MLS Cup winner vs Eastern/Western Conference winner.

henryo repped this.
  20. youngorst

youngorst Member

Jun 26, 2014
    Bend, Oregon
    But is it 4 top teams? Or just random?

I think by making it 4 top teams it makes it mean just a little bit more.

henryo repped this.
  21. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like this idea too. No extra game, and it gives neutrals some extra incentive to tune in to the season opener. The closest equivalent isn't the Community Shield or the various Super Cups and Recopas, but rather the World Cup kicking off with the host nation playing in the only match of the day.

And if MLS wants to have a "Community Shield" aspect to the match, it can accomplish that by donating the league's share of the gate receipts to some worthy cause; that'd be good for some positive press going into the season and maybe a bit of an attendance bump for the match.

henryo repped this.
  22. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    Exactly my thoughts, no extra game(s) needed, for everyone's convenience... ;)

23. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's preseason. Nothing you can do will make it mean just a little bit more.

As for the idea of playing the first game of the regular season at a neutral site, therefore rewarding a team's success in the previous season by removing one game's worth of home field advantage and one game's worth of ticket sales revenue? Probably a non-starter, too.

JasonMa and henryo repped this.
  24. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    Arranging the Season Opener where the MLS Cup Winners host the USOC or SS Winners would be ideal, IMHO... ;)

25. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    If (and only if) it replaces the useless mid-season friendly that is the All-Star Game, yes.