Should Justin Mapp have played the Brad Davis role instead of Brad Davis?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Mar 31, 2014.

1. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    I dunno. If I'd be tired and Davis would be my direct opponent instead of a guy with a dribble and speed on the ball, I'd definitely be happy.

2. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you could argue it either way, but so many late goals come from crosses into the area because teams are sitting back.

3. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Mapp can cross with both feet actually. Davis has been competent against Germany, Korea, and Mexico. I'd like to see Mapp get a shot as an super sub.

4. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Justing Mapp had his chance...didn't make the most of it, really. Unfortunately he doesn't get a 2nd chance because he did not catch the eye of Klinsmann like Davis did. That just how it goes.

I think he could possible offer more than Shea at this moment, though.

5. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That has been one of the more infuriating things about JK--He really does take a first cap to heart. Examples iclude Ream, Lichaj, Feilhaber--Who all had sub-par caps under Klinsi and seem to have been punished for it, even if their form later improves overall.

6. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Which game(s) did Mapp play in under Klinsmann?

SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  7. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    LOL
    Come on dude, not again.
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/...f-the-week-2014.1999299/page-24#post-29756610

Davis was not competent against Korea.

Here's the Germany game:
    Here's the Mexico game:
    Over 44 USMNT games (obviously BD didn't appear in all 44):
    :speechless::speechless::speechless::speechless::speechless::speechless::speechless::speechless:

deuteronomy repped this.
  8. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct, he never played under Klinsmann (I thought he had played against Costa Rica early on). My bad. I did remember him playing in the 2007 Copa America and being blown out. I just thought Mapp was one of those guys that Klinsi looked at and quickly dropped.

Either way, I still feel that neither Mapp nor Davis belongs on the national team, and that Klinsi should invite Feilhaber and Ream to the Azerbajian match.

And Spa2tacus is correct, Davis had a terrible match against ROK. Hardly at all a competent performance.

9. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    I'd take Mapp over Davis, absolutely.

OWN(yewu)ED, TheNearPost and SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  10. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't his greatest, but to be fair though, he played a major role for the first goal in that game.

11. TheNearPost

TheNearPost Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I think anybody who has the pace, skill, and control to beat players and make chances in different ways ( be it cutting in and shooting/sliding a through ball, crossing from wide, etc) deserves a chance for the U.S.. We really don't have enough players capable of doing these sorts of things.

I for one would be pretty intrigued to see how we'd look with Donovan and Mapp on either flank, switching sides even.

SPA2TACU5 repped this.