Should Justin Mapp have played the Brad Davis role instead of Brad Davis?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Mar 31, 2014.

1. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Every US player is a poor man's whatever.

Mapp and Davis' career MLS numbers aren't relevant to a discussion of who is best for the team right now.

Brad Davis:
    Best Position: wide left mid in 442 or lcm in 433.
    National Team Incumbent: none in 442; Jermaine Jones in 433.

MLS Strengths from WhoScored:
    Crossing Very Strong
    Holding on to the ball Very Strong
    Key passes Very Strong
    Taking set-pieces Very Strong
    Long shots Strong
    Direct free kicks Strong
    Passing Strong
    Defensive contribution Strong

Potential Weaknesses(my opinion):
    Pace
    General Athleticism

Justin Mapp

Best Position: wide right mid in 442 or 4231
    National Team Incumbent: Graham Zusi

Potential Weaknesses:
    Workrate
    Defending

MLS Strengths from WhoScored

Dribbling Strong
    Key passes Strong
    Crossing Strong
    Holding on to the ball Strong
    Long shots Strong

SPA2TACU5 and soccersubjectively repped this.
  2. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brad Davis is the only player not named Fabian Johnson in our pool that is capable of whipping in crosses with his left foot.

That being said, does he go to Brazil? I say no.

3. FakeFlopper

FakeFlopper Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Austin, Tx
    Justin has the proper hairline to success at the highest level of US soccer. Once he embraced the hairline, he started finding his form again. brad davis still has too much hair.

Soccergodlss repped this.
  4. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big Soccer mantra since the beginning of time: New Pu$$y is always better than old Pu$$y . .

That being said:

1. Brad Davis has been "the man" at Houston for years. Great leader, accepts responsibility and drives the Dynamo.
    Justin Mapp has been a cog in the machine, both at Montreal and at the Union and the Fire before that.

2. It's interesting how the "fickle finger of fate" annoints some and neglects others. Had Mapp started at Houston and Davis started at DC/Chicago, who can say what might have happened/

3. Statistics, although interesting, can be very misleading at the next level. Mapp's job has been different than Davis' and a lot of goals and assists from Davis have come from set pieces and or penalties.

I like Brad Davis, but yet, every time, he gets called in, he is one of those players that I wonder internally if there might be someone who might offer something, were he provided a chance. I think we have seen what Davis offers at the next level and I don't think it is all that much.

Mapp has an interesting skillset. He is more athletic and creative off the dribble. I think he is a better defender.
    Davis accepts a lot of responsibility for Houston. From my perspective, he is a far better player for Houston than the USMNT, even given the step up in the level.

I would like to see Justin Mapp given another opportunity. It would be interesting to see what might happen. At least we would know something.

5. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yes, I feel that is perhaps the only reason why Brad Davis gets looks.

Also, while Mapp has his merits, I feel niether Mapp nor Davis are National Team prospects.

6. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Davis was good against El Tri. 33 for 39 passing with 2 fouls won, 4 tackles, and 7 recoveries. He battled and was effective.

7. GalacticoX4

GalacticoX4 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    no. but i wouldn't have Brad Davis in my Brazil squad either.

8. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Justin Mapp?
    F no.
    Davis played well tonight he's still a bubble guy for the roster though.
    I think he makes it because of that left foot.

9. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    BD played solidly. The problem I see is he can't get the separation to get off good crosses from the run of play.

10. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is an interesting point that makes judging him so tricky. He may be the type of player that needs an offense to run through him to be effective. He doesn't have the physical tools to shine in one v. one situations, but plays extremely good team ball. There really aren't enough signs that he is comfortable to take on more of the game at the next level. Last night was a really good effort from him, but he still was kind of disconnected a little.

On the flip side, he could possibly be a really effective sub once the pace of the game slows down a tad? Starting may actually be detracting from his performance ratings at this level?

Wessoman and deuteronomy repped this.
  11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see another problem...when he's playing out wide, his lack of pace puts enormous pressure on the left back playing behind him. Davis has no defensive value in a game played at a high tempo.

12. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's better defensively than people give him credit though. His positioning is quite good and he is not afraid to get physical. He would not play for Dom Kinnear otherwise, much less be the captain of his team.

13. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    I would disagree somewhat in that while BD lacks pace for a wide mid at international level his commitment is impressive. He has really upped the stamina over the last couple of years; 4 won tackles, 2 won fouls, 2 headers, and 7 recoveries were made in the match. The one Mexican goal that occurred when he was on field had it's genesis on US right side when Beltran got stuffed trying to dribble into the box past two defenders. The other which started on the US happened after BD had left.

Imo he would be 'ok' even in Group G given those qualities plus the fact he plays in Houston in the Summer. I just feel there are a couple of other players like Feilhaber who could offer a little bit more.

14. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And we're done here. That pretty much sums it up. The only possible reason why Davis gets looks is his left foot. That's it. But considering Green is well, too Green to play LW, Davis may in fact be our backup LW going to Brazil.

15. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless Green gets quite a bit of minutes I'm not sure hoe he could even be considered for Brazil so that put's Brad Davis in play as limted a player as I think he is although I like him a hell of alot more than Robbie Rogers back in the day who some people just loved.

16. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Well Davis is a brilliant left-sided player. JK has used right-footed players like Herc, Donovan, and EJ on the left as well. BD will make the 30.

Other names I'd throw out for consideration:
    Shea if he gets playing time at club level: boneheaded, but if you can get the ball to him in stride and in the attacking third, he's going to reach the end line 3 out of 4 times.
    Feilhaber: not a touchline player, but his attacking passing against the toughest opponents is the best in the pool.
    Torres: weak on the inside with the NT but pretty strong on the outside.
    Neagle: improved his technique and looks to have close to elite speed
    Beasley: the solution starting everyone in the face?

17. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that Brad Davis will make the 30 and he will probably make the 23 (But not start), considering I agree with Soccergodlss that he may be better off the bench, and with you because Brad Davis is not really a defensive liability, unless the game is fast (And it will be). If we are cruising to a victory, I like the idea of Brad Davis being a part of a bunker at the wing, playing a Joe-Max Moore role, so yeah, I can see him on the 23.

I like Feilhaber, of course. Beasley may be our real answer at LW. I am not sold on Torres or Shea, as much as I like both of them. I also like Fabian Johnson at LW as well, I feel he may be more effective when he's not playing in support of a central mid that isn't composed of the black hole that is Sacha Kljestan.

18. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beasley probably is the answer staring everyone in the face tbh

comoesa repped this.
  19. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    The games might nog be very vast considering the climate and the 'slow grass' Brazilian soccer is known for.

Anyway, we have never seen Mapp for the USMNT and we never will. Klinsmann doesn't like that type of player. Way too creative.

20. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm still waiting for the should Bobby Convey comeback thread

21. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    soccersubjectively repped this.
  22. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    Mr Martin repped this.
  23. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klinsmann is very strong in some areas.

Picking a different mix of players ongoingly, is not one of them.

24. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  25. TheNearPost

TheNearPost Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I kind of like this idea because I was a fairly big fan of Mapp for a while ( My go to guy on FIFA ;) )

Davis actually is a really solid player who I can say I would be happy seeing go to Brazil. Even though Zusi brings the crossing ability, Davis is a late-game crosser from the opposite flank. Imagine being a tired defender who may have adjusted to dealing with service from the right flank (zusi) and then suddenly they're coming just as fast and furious from the opposite side, not to mention set-pieces. I know that may not seem THAT dangerous, but we have to at least attempt to put these teams in uncomfortable positions, and that's one of them.

That being said, I would love to see Mapp given a chance. Great pace, especially for getting kind of up there in years. Control and dribbling seems to be even more dangerous these days now that he's doing it more consistently and has combined it with some stamina. People talk about Davis and his left foot but Mapp seems quite capable of swinging in the ball, even from the right.

What really separates Mapp from Davis, in my mind, is that Justin brings much better traditional playmaking skills. Davis, internationally at least, is really not the guy to play the defense splitting pass from the left. Much more dependent on crosses and set pieces (although he does have good vision and passing). Mapp can play that ball, AND he has the speed, skills, and control to separate himself and play it, or do whatever he wishes. Davis' main issue for the U.S. is that even though his crossing is undoubtedly brilliant, international defenders are not as willing to give him time and space to swing in crosses.

Of course, both these guys are probably fighting for a spot on the bench and a late role, which would kind of solve Davis' problem with defenders not giving him space since they'll be a bit too tired to be pressing him so late.

And has nobody really put up the assist from 2007? I know it was a while ago but it's still pretty fracking sweet...

Even if this was about 7 years ago, it might be kind of telling that, even then, Mapp's best work for the U.S. came from him literally storming across the field from the left to right, where he plays now, THEN schooling two defenders. He also intercepted a pass just to make it happen, which shows some defensive ability I guess.